PDA

View Full Version : Parents wont fill in PR and LC forms..help!

bubbly
04-03-2009, 04:58 PM
My problem parents wont complete my Parental Responsibility and Legal Contact forms.

Where does this leave me legally? Will I be in trouble if Ofsted visit?

I can't physically MAKE them do it so I don't know where I stand.

Anyone else had this problem or just me? :panic:

Mollymop
04-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Why won't they complete them?

PixiePetal
04-03-2009, 05:00 PM
would they sign a note to say you have asked and they have declined until you have contacted Ofsted for advice?

bubbly
04-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Why won't they complete them?
They just can't be ar*ed, as far as I can tell.

I've printed off several copies, explained the importance of me having them in XXX's file and asked for them to be returned, until I'm blue in the face. I'll soon have to charge them extra for paper and ink.

Maybe I should advertise my adult babysitting service :rolleyes:

Mollymop
04-03-2009, 05:20 PM
They just can't be ar*ed, as far as I can tell.

I've printed off several copies, explained the importance of me having them in XXX's file and asked for them to be returned, until I'm blue in the face. I'll soon have to charge them extra for paper and ink.

Maybe I should advertise my adult babysitting service :rolleyes:

Not fair on you is it.
Can they do it when they are in your presence.
You know, jump on them when they ring the door bell with pen and documents in hand and tell them to do it NOW! haha

It might work:rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Pauline
04-03-2009, 05:37 PM
When they arrive tell them that you cannot continue care or accept the child until they have signed, then hold out the forms and a pen!

:D

sarah707
04-03-2009, 05:46 PM
If you really cannot get them to do it or they refuse, ring Ofsted for guidance.

You are working illegally by not having the information from 1st September last year :(

Ripeberry
04-03-2009, 05:50 PM
I've put on my child record forms "As per Ofsted legal requirements, please indicate who has parental responsibility for the child and who has legal contact?" Makes it more formal and something you HAVE to complete.

Blaze
04-03-2009, 06:30 PM
As already advised tell them that you can not continue care untill the forms are filled in & signed as it would be illegal & not worth your registration!!!!

ajs
04-03-2009, 07:06 PM
i have one parent who although a wonderful mum and good friend to me now is rubbish at filling in and returning forms
so this evening i handed her the paperwork and a pen and said don't leave until you've signed this
i know it's different as you don't get on that well with the parent but you may be able to get her to sign if you actually hold the papers out for her to sign while the kids are getting ready to go.

good luck though

wellybelly
04-03-2009, 07:07 PM
My problem parents wont complete my Parental Responsibility and Legal Contact forms.

Where does this leave me legally? Will I be in trouble if Ofsted visit?

I can't physically MAKE them do it so I don't know where I stand.

Anyone else had this problem or just me? :panic:

Does anyone have a copy of the Parental responsibility and legal contact forms, Im confused as I thought they were the same sort of thing?

sarah707
04-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the Parental responsibility and legal contact forms, Im confused as I thought they were the same sort of thing?

If you look in the Statutory requirements here -

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/eyfs/site/requirements/welfare/safeguarding/index.htm

It's 2 questions...

information about who has legal contact with the child; and who has parental responsibility for the child.

You need to ask parents for this information or you are breaking the law.

There isn't a form, just write something, add it to your child information form or contract and make sure parents fill it in.

wellybelly
04-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Thank you Sarah, you are a star. I wish you could come round to my house and look over everything for me. Thanks again x

vix84
04-03-2009, 08:08 PM
So is legal contact for example a dad who is seperated from the mother and child, but can legally see his child?
And parental responsibility would be both parents - but only if they are both on the birth certificate?

Im getting confused.

As I have just given them the contracts, is it ok to just write:

Who has legal contact of (name of child): .................
Who has parental responsibility of (name of child): .................

Parents Signature ................................. Date...........

Parents Signature .................................. Date .........

Childminders Signature ............................. Date ..............

Have this on a seperate piece of paper and add into file?

Mollymop
04-03-2009, 08:11 PM
You are working illegally by not having the information from 1st September last year :(

Oh heck!! I need to do mine!

Help please someone, I am not sure what to put on the forms.

bubbly
04-03-2009, 08:17 PM
As already advised tell them that you can not continue care untill the forms are filled in & signed as it would be illegal & not worth your registration!!!!
This is basically what I said to dad at collection time today, again! We'll see if the forms arrive tomorrow. If not, I'm going to print off another set and insist they're completed before he leaves. See how I get on with that!

I just don't understand why some people have to be so downright awkward. I'm a reasonable person asking for something quite simple to be done. I'm not some two-headed monster :mad:

Mollymop
04-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Ok I have found the info in my Jigsaw mag for EY providers

Who has parental responsibility?

. All birth mothers (except where the child has been adopted)

. All birth fathers if they were married to the mother at the time of the child's birth

. All birth fathers if they and the birth mother register the birth of their child together from 1 December 2003

How can parental responsibility be aquired?

Birth fathers

.By marrying the mother

.By being granted a parental responsibility order by a court

.By entering into a parental responsibility Agreeement

.By being granted a Residence order by court.

vix84
04-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Ok I have found the info in my Jigsaw mag for EY providers

Who has parental responsibility?

. All birth mothers (except where the child has been adopted)

. All birth fathers if they were married to the mother at the time of the child's birth

. All birth fathers if they and the birth mother register the birth of their child together from 1 December 2003

How can parental responsibility be aquired?

Birth fathers

.By marrying the mother

.By being granted a parental responsibility order by a court

.By entering into a parental responsibility Agreeement

.By being granted a Residence order by court.

Thanks for that :)

So is legal contact the birth mother and also the father if married to the mother at the time of birth, or if on the certificate?:o

Juddster
04-03-2009, 09:18 PM
I used the forms from the bromley site it has a sheet for parents explaining what is ment by parental responsilbility and legal contact.

vix84
04-03-2009, 10:02 PM
I used the forms from the bromley site it has a sheet for parents explaining what is ment by parental responsilbility and legal contact.

Thanks, will check it out:)

Jules12Wed
05-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Sorry have I missed something do we need to have forms that specifically say who has parental responsibility and who is the legal contact.

My contract has parents names, who else may be able to see the child whilst in my care, is this sufficient??

miffy
05-03-2009, 08:00 AM
Sorry have I missed something do we need to have forms that specifically say who has parental responsibility and who is the legal contact.

My contract has parents names, who else may be able to see the child whilst in my care, is this sufficient??

Yes you need to record somewhere in your paperwork

- who has parental responsibility AND

- who has legal contact with the child.

If you look on the bromley site there is a form you can use and an explanation of the terms.

It's a legal requirement under EYFS to have this information and inspectors are hot on it atm

Miffy xx

Jules12Wed
05-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Sorry i've looked on the Bromley site and I can't seem to find where it explains legal contact etc, anyone got a link??

sarah707
05-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Sorry i've looked on the Bromley site and I can't seem to find where it explains legal contact etc, anyone got a link??

Scroll down their news page - there's a link with the title parental responsibilty

http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/news/news

Chatterbox Childcare
05-03-2009, 08:22 AM
I wonder if they actually understand the form. Maybe you could offer to sit down when they collect one evening and complete it with them

Jules12Wed
05-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Scroll down their news page - there's a link with the title parental responsibilty

http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/news/news

Thanks Sarah excellent. All printed off now and ready for parents tonight. Brilliant.

bubbly
05-03-2009, 09:56 AM
I wonder if they actually understand the form. Maybe you could offer to sit down when they collect one evening and complete it with them
Good point Debbie but I put a written explanation on the forms so as to make it simple and easy to understand. I realise all our paperwork must sometimes be quite daunting for some parents.

Anyway, I printed off more copies this morning and nabbed dad at drop-off (he wasn't in a hurry) and held him hostage (:D ) until he signed, explaining once more the importance of my having them. I've now got the forms filled in and feel a huge relief :)

It really would've been much easier for everyone concerned if the forms had been filled in when I first asked instead of all this hassle :mad:

Helen79
05-03-2009, 10:57 AM
I think I'm being a bit dim today :blush:
What's does the legal contact part refer to? I don't understand who would have legal contact or not?
How is legal contact decided?

Helen79
05-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Sorry forgot to also ask if a parent or carer doesn't have parental responsibility are they allowed to sign any paperwork? or does someone with parental responsibility have to give me permission for things like medication?

Pauline
05-03-2009, 03:10 PM
This might help:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/ParentsRights/DG_4002954

Helen, I think unless someone does have parental responsibility then they shouldn't be in the position of being able to leave a child with you. I would want to know from whoever does have responsibility, that they are happy for the child to be in your care. Hopefully it would be a rare occurance.:)

Helen79
05-03-2009, 03:44 PM
I understand the parental responsibility but don't understand the legal contact part. Both of my mindees are dropped off & collected by grandparents & step parent's who don't have parental responsibility. Mum has filled out the contracts, all the permission forms & signed the policy book but I don't often see them.
What do I do if the children has medication or something like that, can the person dropping off sign for it?

Annie_T
05-03-2009, 05:55 PM
get them to do them there and then at your on driop off or collection hun x

DudleyChildmind
05-03-2009, 06:58 PM
One of my parents shredded the parental responsibility form and when I told Ofsted they just accepted it without any questions.

rickysmiths
05-03-2009, 07:56 PM
It really surprises and disappoints me on all your behalves that you are having such problems with your parents and these forms. :panic:

I have only recently caught up with this bit myself and have had all but 2 forms back and those are still outstanding because dads have to sign them. No one has said no the only reaction has been 'poor you not more paperwork!'

Mollymop
05-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I have sent all my forms off tonight in daily diaries I hope they come back soon, but my parents are quite good, luckily for me

Amaranth
05-03-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm only just catching up with this myself, as I have been trying to come up with a form that will not offend anyone!!
I have a few mindees who have 'parents' who are in unique situations and i would not want to upset them in any way.
Do all the people who have parental responsibility for the child have to sign the form? I was just wondering, as I have one parent who does not have a good relationship with the father. If she had to get him to sign this form, it would cause her loads of grief :(
I also think it will come as a shock to some of the parents who were not married at the time of birth but who are now, that they do not have parental responsibility for their child. :eek:
On the direct.gov.uk website it says that a father can gain parental responibility by a 'parental responsibility agreement with the mother' . Does anyone know if this is a legal doc that they have to get, I have never come accross it before. :panic:

Sorry for all the questions!:blush:

Why oh why can't I have parents who have nice easy family situations!!!!:laughing:

Bananabrain
06-03-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm only just catching up with this myself, as I have been trying to come up with a form that will not offend anyone!!
I have a few mindees who have 'parents' who are in unique situations and i would not want to upset them in any way.
Do all the people who have parental responsibility for the child have to sign the form? I was just wondering, as I have one parent who does not have a good relationship with the father. If she had to get him to sign this form, it would cause her loads of grief :(
I also think it will come as a shock to some of the parents who were not married at the time of birth but who are now, that they do not have parental responsibility for their child. :eek:
On the direct.gov.uk website it says that a father can gain parental responibility by a 'parental responsibility agreement with the mother' . Does anyone know if this is a legal doc that they have to get, I have never come accross it before. :panic:

Sorry for all the questions!:blush:

Why oh why can't I have parents who have nice easy family situations!!!!:laughing:

There's no such thing as easy family situations these days:laughing:

I've done all mine and parents signed,gave them the advice that Ofsted gave me{children's act etc} but I'm still wondering where we stand if the parents fill it in wrongly or lie.And why on earth we have to do it in the first place:laughing: