PDA

View Full Version : If you get an outstanding does it change anything??

lissy
02-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Just wondering if anything changes if you get an outstanding??

Kat
02-03-2009, 02:21 PM
hi,

I dont think so in general but I belive it can help you to get more kids as you can show it to parents ...
K

rickysmiths
02-03-2009, 02:26 PM
I don't think it does except to demonstrate to prospective parents how good your setting and practice are.

Daftbat
02-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi,

I just got outstanding acouple of weeks ago and not sure how it will really affect my business. I am already full and have been so for quite a while so business wise things should carry on as normal. What it has done though it validate my reasons for doing the job for longer than i originally intended (had planned to stop when daughter went to school - shes is 9 now!) Its a good feeling to know that you are doing things to a higher standard than necessary and my parents have been really pleased for me. However, they were still pleased about me getting "good".

I think you should always aim for the highest accolade but there will now be the pressure to maintain it and hope that the next inspector agrees with the last one!

I still maintain that my job is to put a smile on the faces of the children i look after and send parents away knowing that they can relax and get on with their jobs without worrying. The outstanding is a bonus and makes the paperwork feel more worthwhile and there is a sense of pride that i can do it just like the nursery down the road!

sue m
02-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Did you get outstanding Lissy????

Blaze
02-03-2009, 02:49 PM
It turned the local cm's against me!:(
I will be seriously miffed if I ever get downgraded as I have worked very hard to continue to improve & provide the v. best standeard of care I can.:)

RedDragon
02-03-2009, 05:02 PM
If I got Outstanding I would have to buy a bigger hat. :D

twise
02-03-2009, 05:10 PM
I advertise the fact that i am outstanding on the cis form etc and I do tend to get calls before other minders in the area.

Tracy

Winnie
02-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Not at all. I even got in the local paper, lovely photo with mindies, didnt get any extra business from that either. But it made a difference to me :D i didnt stop smiling for weeks. I'm working very hard to keep the os, making sure i keep uptodate, but as i do not have any children at the moment if i do get inspected soon without children it would mean i'd get satifactory :eek:

wendywu
02-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Yes you then start to worry that you will not be able to keep it up.:)

Twinkles
02-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Hasn't made a smidge of difference to my business.........oh! no that's not true I do get to use a spiffy logo :laughing:

christine e
02-03-2009, 06:05 PM
You get listed on the Outstanding providers link on ofsted website, get an outstanding certicate and can use the outstanding logo (I think)

Cx

Carol
02-03-2009, 06:13 PM
You also get to have a few glasses of wine:laughing: :laughing:

Carol xx

sarah707
02-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Yes you then start to worry that you will not be able to keep it up.:)

That's how I feel too! :D

ajs
02-03-2009, 07:35 PM
there's no hope for any of us if sarah can;t keep it up.

sorry don't know the answer as i'm good. but it sounds like you have the info you need anyway

lissy
02-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Did you get outstanding Lissy????

maybe :) :) :)

they said i wasnt allowed to say anything till report is in, dont know why???????

sue m
02-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Yay, well done. :thumbsup: IF you did of course LOL:D

miffy
02-03-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm still waiting for it to change my life :laughing:

Congratulations Lissy :clapping:

Miffy xx

tammys-tots
04-03-2009, 07:52 PM
You get listed on the Outstanding providers link on ofsted website, get an outstanding certicate and can use the outstanding logo (I think)

Cx

and get invited to dinner in london, so ive been told, but this can take some time, cant wait lol

Twinkles
04-03-2009, 08:46 PM
and get invited to dinner in london, so ive been told, but this can take some time, cant wait lol

Hmmm I politely declined that particular invitation :rolleyes:

SimplyLucy
04-03-2009, 08:48 PM

I like the sound of that, is it true?

Shar
05-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Has'nt made any difference to me. I am always full anyway and on my new certificate there is not one mention of outstanding. I have not been invited for a posh lunch anywhere yet. The best thing that came from the grade is knowing that I am doing things(EYFS) well which makes me very happy.

Congratulations!!!:thumbsup:

childmind04
05-03-2009, 01:46 PM
For getting work it has made no difference, for me it was a personnal target, im like that lol

Well done on whatever you got :)

miffy
05-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Has'nt made any difference to me. I am always full anyway and on my new certificate there is not one mention of outstanding. I have not been invited for a posh lunch anywhere yet. The best thing that came from the grade is knowing that I am doing things(EYFS) well which makes me very happy.

Congratulations!!!:thumbsup:

Eventually you will get a certificate (not a registration one) that says Outstanding on it - I'm not sure what you're meant to do with it :rolleyes: :laughing:

Miffy xx

ChocolateChip
06-03-2009, 06:52 PM
I got my certificate and logo pack (which I haven't had time to look through yet so not using!) and just had an invite today to go to a lunch in Solihul, which I won't be able to go to.:(

misst104
06-03-2009, 07:04 PM
What does the logo look like??? I'm intrigued!! :D

x

Bushpig
06-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Good question.

On a professional level, no it hasn't brought any more kids my way... I have always been full with a waiting list (thankfully!).

Our borough's early years team put on a dinner dance in Nov as a thank you to CMs in the borough (where I could show off my hunky hubby :blush: ), for all their work looking after the kids in the borough.. and here they gave those that got outstanding and those that had got their Level 3 qualifications flowers and a book and a professional photo. I was the 2nd CM in the history of my borough to get this grading on their first inspection. This means a lot to me.

On a personal level, it did two things for me:

(a) Makes me work even harder to maintain this standard. I am so pedantic about paperwork (planning, obs etc.). The graphic designer in me needs everything to look good too. I am ever aware of what's expected of me regards everything to do with the kids.

(b) Was a sign to me that I WAS on the right path with what I was doing and gave me such encouragement to pursue my initiative even more.

At the end of it though, I am the same with the kids, they come to me smiling, and leave me smiling, and that's what it's all about... no matter what my grading is. My setting would be no different had I not got an outstanding grading.

(I talk too much, sorry!)

wellybelly
06-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Not much changes, but its nice to put the certificate in your portfolio and the logo on your stationary.

Rubybubbles
06-03-2009, 07:44 PM
:( I feel rubbish at getting a good now

donnahay0
06-03-2009, 09:05 PM
To me business wise it hasn't made any difference, my parents all thought I was outstanding before my inspection and always pass my name on to other parents which is how I get most of my business.

I do worry about keeping the grade up, especially as Ofsted have a habit of moving the goal posts all the time. It has made me more confident that I am doing everything right.

What it has done is make my local pre-school take me more seriously (they too got outstanding).

It also seems to have had a desirable effect on some of the other childminders who are beginning to, lets say, get more into it.

Allie
08-03-2009, 04:38 PM
I got Outstanding in October they wouldn't let me say anything until it came through with the report and tha rather took the shine off it at the time.
Last week I gt a lovely pink certificate and the outstanding logo pack (if I can work out how to use it) and a letter saying I will be invited to London in the autumn.

Now I really feel great and have displayed the cert on my notice board

Allie

nannymcflea
08-03-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been told to keep quiet about getting an outstanding"until the reprt is posted". I was becoming paranoid that I really hadn't got it!
As to it changing anything,nope the day after was the same,well I had a network inspection the day after!
My inspection was a week ago and the inspector was nice but did put me through it for over 3 hours.

tammys-tots
10-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Eventually you will get a certificate (not a registration one) that says Outstanding on it - I'm not sure what you're meant to do with it :rolleyes: :laughing:

Miffy xx
put it on the wall

tammys-tots
10-03-2009, 09:10 AM
I got Outstanding in October they wouldn't let me say anything until it came through with the report and tha rather took the shine off it at the time.
Last week I gt a lovely pink certificate and the outstanding logo pack (if I can work out how to use it) and a letter saying I will be invited to London in the autumn.

Now I really feel great and have displayed the cert on my notice board

Allie
i was told they only give them out once a year around August time, hope i get mine soon then

desiderata
11-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Im the same as someone else who posted on here earlier. Three other childminders in my area "who cant be bothered as they have said since Sept cos Im only a childminder and its all crap" found out today that I had got an outstanding grade and all of a sudden one spoke to me this morning and said "I heard you got outstanding is that right and how did you do it? Followed by another one knocking on my door at lunch time Well as she doesnt usually speak to me I didnt bother answering the door. Then at school this afternoon the third one approached me and said " Oh so you must be doing all that crap then" I replied that as it became law in Sept all of us should be doing it."

Anyway at 6 oo tonight my phone went and one of the cheeky bexxxxx said "Oh hell I was wondering if you could spare half an hour to show me what you have done to get through your inspection"

I replied " Well I'll have a look at what youve done and see if I can point you in the right direction" to which she replied " I havent done anything yet Ill just have to copy yours and backdate it" When i said I wasnt prepared to do that she got quite abusive and put the phone down.

Know dont get me wrong I know I have had help of here but I also started doing this myself in Sept and have attended many training courses and spent many sleepless nights and long hours because I knew my inspection was iminent. Do you think i am wrong , If she had made a start I would be prepared to help but I know what she is gonna do shes gonna copy it all and passs it round the others so they get it easy. What are your views please???

beerheaven
11-03-2009, 10:24 PM
I agree completely with you - what a cheeky mare!

I too have worked incredibly hard - lots of late nights and weekends spent doing all my paperwork. I would be very :censored: off if someone just copied all my work and passed it off as their own! I would have no problem looking through what they had already done and making comments, or giving them advice about how to make a start.

I have my inspection tomorrow so I'll find out if all my work has paid off!
But at the end of the day I have happy kids and parents, and that's what counts.

desiderata
11-03-2009, 10:33 PM
good luck:clapping:

beerheaven
11-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks hun!

Will keep you posted!!

Daftbat
12-03-2009, 06:36 AM
Im the same as someone else who posted on here earlier. Three other childminders in my area "who cant be bothered as they have said since Sept cos Im only a childminder and its all crap" found out today that I had got an outstanding grade and all of a sudden one spoke to me this morning and said "I heard you got outstanding is that right and how did you do it? Followed by another one knocking on my door at lunch time Well as she doesnt usually speak to me I didnt bother answering the door. Then at school this afternoon the third one approached me and said " Oh so you must be doing all that crap then" I replied that as it became law in Sept all of us should be doing it."

Anyway at 6 oo tonight my phone went and one of the cheeky bexxxxx said "Oh hell I was wondering if you could spare half an hour to show me what you have done to get through your inspection"

I replied " Well I'll have a look at what youve done and see if I can point you in the right direction" to which she replied " I havent done anything yet Ill just have to copy yours and backdate it" When i said I wasnt prepared to do that she got quite abusive and put the phone down.

Know dont get me wrong I know I have had help of here but I also started doing this myself in Sept and have attended many training courses and spent many sleepless nights and long hours because I knew my inspection was iminent. Do you think i am wrong , If she had made a start I would be prepared to help but I know what she is gonna do shes gonna copy it all and passs it round the others so they get it easy. What are your views please???

This is terrible - the cms who contacted you should be ashamed of themselves. I am more than happy to give assistance to people but you are quite right that you have worked hard and they can't just piggy back off you. We all give each other advice and help here but you have to be genuinely researching and looking for ways to improve to find the forum in the first place. A couple of childminders near me have asked for some advice and i gave one a proforma form which i had made up but she was so grateful and didn't even ask anyway - i offerred it. You stick to your guns:thumbsup:

miffy
12-03-2009, 08:14 AM
This is terrible - the cms who contacted you should be ashamed of themselves.

I agree!

I love your response about being happy to look at what they'd done and point them in the right direction - nicely put :)

Miffy xx

jacky
12-03-2009, 09:10 AM
reading this post has been really helpfull as i thought i was the only one who knocked other childminders noses out of joint. when i got my first outstanding 3yrs ago i was the first childminder in the borough to get it and to top that it was my first inspection. and oh boy did the sh:censored: hit the fan. i have felt as though i am constantly looking over my shoulder as they are constantly watching me, i see them everyday at local pre schools and schools. when i asked ofsted for a variation shortly after the inspector who visited said So your the one. when i asked what she meant she said they had lots of phone calls from other childminders in the area claiming that i shouldnt have been given oustanding. i was really shocked. anyway i got outstanding again three years later (january) so know i am doing it right but am still wary of these women and my heart goes in my mouth every time i do a school run. i dont know why they just dont grow up and get on with it. most of them are older longserving /suffering chiidminders who just cant be bothered. on the positive though i have lots of other childminding friends who are really pleased for me and have asked for advice.
:angry:

miffy
12-03-2009, 09:33 AM
i dont know why they just dont grow up and get on with it. most of them are older longserving /suffering chiidminders who just cant be bothered.

:angry:

I'm sorry you've had such a poor reception from some of your fellow childminders, but please don't judge all of us "older longserving/suffering childminders" the same.

There are several "more experienced" childminders on this forum (including me) who've worked very hard to keep ourselves up to date with new legislation, undertook training and have gained outstanding grades because of this.

Miffy xx

jacky
12-03-2009, 01:28 PM
sorry didnt mean to tar you all with the same brush i know there are lots of you on here that have been minding a long time and do the job properly. it was just good to see that others have similar problems

loocyloo
12-03-2009, 02:16 PM
when i got my outstanding and told the other local childminders, most were really supportive and pleased for me, another said 'its a long to fall' and another hasn't spoken to me since! :laughing:

ChocolateChip
18-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Desiderata, I don't blame you one bit, I would do the same.

I come on here to get help and try to do my bit to help others, and I have a couple of really good friends who are cm's, we all help each other out, and if I meet someone new out and about I am happy to share tips and ideas.
Like you though, there are a few round here who don't do half of what they should, not because they need help, but because they haven't got the right attitude and can't be bothered and tbh I wouldn't lift a finger to help them.
In fact one has come to me for advice before but she doesn't take it so I don't know why she bothers asking really.

Having read my earlier post, I hope it didn't seem too negative. I was ecstatic to get outstanding and I do get a buzz out of feeling I have really achieved something special, all my parents were really pleased for me aswell, and that's what counts.

tammys-tots
20-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Hmmm I politely declined that particular invitation :rolleyes:
Why? i have heard its during the week, it should be at the weekend.