PDA

View Full Version : next steps???

louloudi
01-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Do my next steps have to come from the EYFS or can I do logical steps ie child is able to put his shoes on... would the next step be to support and encourage them to put on other items independently??

Do you have to have next steps for all your obs ?? I'm still getting my head round this EYFS. yet when I look at what the child has done it cross references to a multitude of aspects of EYFS, I find this a nightmare linking everything in in fine detail....
Any thougths???

sarah707
01-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Link each observation to the main thing that seems relevant... just choose one or you'll end up going round in circles.

Next steps are whatever you feel are relevant to the child - the Eyfs is for guidance not to tell you what to do.

Next steps are not always appropriate - it might be more important to consolidate.

Sometimes next steps can be about what you intend to provide eg fresh resources or trying something in a different way. They do not always have to refer to moving a child on.

hth :D

patevans
01-03-2009, 07:17 PM
I cant get to grips with next steps at all :panic: my inspector also mentioned this!!

wendywu
01-03-2009, 07:18 PM
About 90% of my obs have next steps. But some dont , but all of them are linked to the EYFS.:)

tammys-tots
01-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Do my next steps have to come from the EYFS or can I do logical steps ie child is able to put his shoes on... would the next step be to support and encourage them to put on other items independently??

Do you have to have next steps for all your obs ?? I'm still getting my head round this EYFS. yet when I look at what the child has done it cross references to a multitude of aspects of EYFS, I find this a nightmare linking everything in in fine detail....
Any thougths???

Hi, it would come from the EYFS PSED self care, yes that is fine, you could say that you would plan activity 'dressing doll' doing shoe laces, buttons etc
If i do an observation during an activity then yes always include next steps, but if i just make a few writen notes for example 'followed instructions to put shoes on', or says a new word then no

Hope that helps
Tammy

hectors house
03-03-2009, 01:45 PM
I have a sheet where I write down what the observation was, how it links to EYFS, and next steps - one night when I was trying to write up observations and find where it fitted into EYFS - I was very nearly naughty -

I wrote J enjoyed finger painting for the first time - then Creative etc, and for next steps I was tempted to write "Repainting the :censored: Sistene chapel"!!

Sometimes it feels like we have to state the :censored: obvious.

huggableshelly
03-03-2009, 01:47 PM
lmao sarcasm does just jump out , good job it doesnt auto appear on the next steps form!

breezy
03-03-2009, 02:02 PM
I have a sheet where I write down what the observation was, how it links to EYFS, and next steps - one night when I was trying to write up observations and find where it fitted into EYFS - I was very nearly naughty -

I wrote J enjoyed finger painting for the first time - then Creative etc, and for next steps I was tempted to write "Repainting the :censored: Sistene chapel"!!

Sometimes it feels like we have to state the :censored: obvious.

I thought we ALWAYS had to state the obvious :laughing:

Kat
03-03-2009, 02:07 PM
I do my planning next steps once a month when I review all my obs from past month and what I think would be good for child ... I hope I am doing right? :panic: please dont tell me not I am waiting for inspection :panic:

Lady Haha
08-03-2009, 01:09 PM
I do my planning next steps once a month when I review all my obs from past month and what I think would be good for child ... I hope I am doing right? :panic: please dont tell me not I am waiting for inspection :panic:

I hope you are doing right because that has to be the best idea I have heard for the obs and planning! I am going to do that now! :D

helenlc
08-03-2009, 01:26 PM
I hope you are doing right because that has to be the best idea I have heard for the obs and planning! I am going to do that now! :D

I agree!! :clapping:

patevans
08-03-2009, 01:42 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me :thumbsup: might give it a go!!

Allie
08-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Don't like to put a damper on this, but Ofsted commented on the fact that my observations are immediently followed up by next steps, as shown by the follow up observation

Allie

Shar
08-03-2009, 07:15 PM
I do 1 obs per child per week with next steps. I also do a review every 4 months which is a summary of what the child has achieved and what he/she still needs help with ( all linked to the Eyfs early learning goals). At my recent inspection Ofsted were very impressed with this.:thumbsup:

nannymcflea
08-03-2009, 08:24 PM
I tally my obs,bullet points and photo obs at the end of each month, i then use the All About Me in the EYFS disc(I use obs sheets from this too and next steps are on here),put the EYFS into each blank space and write where that child is in each area.
I then draw up a piece of paper into the six areas and say where each child needs to go forward.(e.g L needs support in social situations involving new people)
I use this to plan for the next month,the planning goes by the front door for parents to see....OFSTED have graded my EYFS outstanding.

HTH