PDA

View Full Version : MY MAX NUMBERS ADVICE PLS!!

Mollymop
02-02-2008, 10:09 AM
I was told on my pre reg visit yesturday that she (the inspector) only wants me to have 6 children, including my own 2, which leaves me able to have 4.

But.... Tim is 8, 9 next week, so he should not be classed in my numbers, but the inspector says because he isn't a teenager yet, it is best I have 4 mindees as a maxium apposed to 5, which really I should be able to have.

I really wanted to have the maxium amount of children, just incase I get overlaps, etc.
I disputed it with her, and she said another inspector would probably let me have 5 but she thinks it's best I only have 4!:(

The thing is, Tim is at school full time, obviously, and when he gets home, he's usually off round his mates or up stairs doing his own thing. In the holidays he does his own thing and is independant enough to be able to help me rather than cause me problems, etc. After all, he is 9 next week.

She made it sound as if I would have problems as I have to look after Caitlin who is 3 (almost 4) and starting school in September and Tim who is 9 and a typical "can I go round my friends" kind of boy.

I m not being greedy, wanting the extra child, that I thought I would be entitled too, but every little helps and one day i might need that extra space for a after schooler or a part timer, etc.

Is this ok, or is the inspector making the rules up as she goes along???

Kind advice needed please, just to maske me feel better about it XXXX

berkschick
02-02-2008, 10:15 AM
I think it is up to the inspector to decide. I know other minders round here that havent been allowed there full allowance either but it is normally down to a lack of space or having an older child of there own that requires more care

It doesnt sound fair though! She was very impressed with you so why then not let you have your full numbers?

I have an 17 month old, 6 year old, 10 year old and 13 year old ( who is very demanding due to her special needs) and I was allowed my full quota so what she is telling you doesnt make any sense at all!

Another case of them making it up as they go along!

Mollymop
02-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks Debbie for our kind words.
Yes I was surprised, as she was very impressed with me, she een sid because of all my docs and course I had been on I would likely get a good grade. So I was a bit miffed by her not allowing me to have max numbers.

She said, you can have as many over 8's as you like, as long as you are not silly about it, etc. The i said, ok, so why are you saying I can only have 4 minded children because of Tim.

She said it's like if you had a 12 year old who was in a wheelchair, it's the same thing with your son, he needs your care. ?

You would have thought that the inspectors would all go by the same book,

I have plenty of space, also. XXX

Mollymop
02-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Also she said I could have 2 under 5's and 2 under 8's.
But i can still have 3 under 8's if I want, can't I as Tim is not being counted, really, in the end is he as he is an over 8. Have I got that right?

mel
02-02-2008, 10:32 AM
This is a strange one! Maybe it would be worth seeing what comes along work wise and then if you need to extra space for a child ask for an increase in numbers where someone else may review your case?

It does seem unfair, I agree

Mel x

sarah707
02-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Dear Sir
I would like to query what I was told by the Inspector, Ms xxx, at my pre-registration visit on xxx Jan 2008.
She met with my 2 children, xxx aged 3 and xxx aged 8 (9 on -date-) and appeared to be happy with my house and garden.

We discussed, at some length, the amount of children she was prepared to register me for and, for reasons which I do not fully understand, she has only allowed me 4 children, instead of the 5 I expected (and I believe 5 is the norm taking into account the ages of my children). She says this is best until my nearly 9 year old becomes a teenager.

I have a good sized house with xxx rooms given over totally to Childminding and my garden is suitable for use. My son is at school during the day and spends much of his free time with friends or in his bedroom doing homework etc, (as do most 9 year olds) so I really only have to look after my daughter during the day.

I know a lot of local childminders in the area who are allowed their maximum number of 5 children and I do not understand why I am being penalised.
I am wanting childminding to be my new career as I love working with children but, obviously, it also has to be financially viable and the inspector did not give me any reasons for her decision except to wait until my son was a teenager. In fact, she even said that other inspectors might well make a different decision.

Please can this decision be urgently re-considered. I am happy to provide Risk Assessments and any other necessary information which will show how I can fully meet the needs of all the children in my care, including my 9 year old son.

Thank you.

berkschick
02-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Hi Sandra,

Yes, that should be right.

If I were you I would wait until you get your certificate and then send it in with a letter saying that your son has now turned 9 so could they please amend your certificate to reflect this. Hopefully then you will get the correct one!

berkschick
02-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Or send in Sarahs letter :D

sarah707
02-02-2008, 10:36 AM
You could also bang on about inclusion and non discriminatory practice and how you feel you are being discriminated against because of your son and treating all children as equals... that should get them standing up and taking notice...!

And if they still say 'no', at least you've tried :D

Mollymop
02-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Wow Sarah, you really are fab with words!!!
I am going to use your letter, it really gets to the point. Thanks so much.

I am glad to hear that you all feel that I have been penalised as, honestly, the inspector, wasn't sure of anything and I feel like she was making things up, such as this, making her self look important, ifyswim.

I will wait until I get my cert like Debbie says, and then Tim will be 9 and hopefully it will change.

Pipsqueak
02-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Hmm this has got me thinking....

it says on my certificate:

"may care for no more than 4 children under 8, of these not more than 2 may be under 5 and of these not mroe than 1 may be under 1"

I have 2 under 5's my own son age 3 and mindee age 3. (So thats my two under 5's)

Own son age 7(half) and thats one of my under 8's.

The way my certificate is worded I cannot take on any more under 5's? Hmm this is now going to stuff me as I need a full timer (or similar) to make up my money. I only have ONE space for an over 5yr old.
Am I reading my certificate correctly? Are my own children included in the numbers stated on the certificate or of I take them out of the equation I have have 1 under 5's space and 2 under 8's space.......
OMG - I have confuzzled myself now....

Think I will have to ring OFSTED on Monday and confirm as I may have to seriously consider my future here as its not financially viable for me to continue...

sarah707
02-02-2008, 11:11 AM
The max children you can have are 6 under 8... you have 2 under 8 yourself, so your certificate takes this into consideration and allows you 4...

That's 2 under 5 you are allowed to mind because you already have your own child aged 3...

Tasha is the resident expert on this - I would pm her... :D

Pipsqueak
02-02-2008, 11:13 AM
The max children you can have are 6 under 8... you have 2 under 8 yourself, so your certificate takes this into consideration and allows you 4...

That's 2 under 5 you are allowed to mind because you already have your own child aged 3...

Tasha is the resident expert on this - I would pm her... :D

Thanks Sarah - I know I asked at the time whether that included my own children and for the life of me cannot remember the answer (durrr what a eedjit I am.....) :jump for joy:

Mollymop
02-02-2008, 11:17 AM
I think it means you can have 2 under 5 minded children not including your own. So you should be ok to have another under 5.
Sounds that way to me, as i remember the inspector said that once Caitlin is at school in Sept I can get my certificate changed to 3 under 5 as at the moment mine would say 2 under 5's as Caitlin is not 5 yet.

manjay
02-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Yet another inconsistency! I too have a dd who is 8 (9 in Aug) and my inspector allowed me the full 5 minded children! I can't believe how different they all are. My Inspector was so accommodating she even said she would prepare my certificate to show ds had moved to next age range so I wouldn't have to change it again in a few months.(In Wales we are allowed 2 children under 18 months and he was not quite 18 mths)

I would defo send Sarah's letter.

amanda xx

berkschick
02-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Your certificate has already taken your own children into account.

On mine it says no more than 4 under 8 of which only 2 may beunder 5 of which only 1 may be under 1. I have 17 months and 6 year old of my own.

Pipsqueak
02-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys - I am having a brunette moment (like a blond moment just a bit deeper lol ;) sorry any blonds!!!)....

see I just shouldn't read into things....

Mollymop
02-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks guys - I am having a brunette moment (like a blond moment just a bit deeper lol ;) sorry any blonds!!!)....

see I just shouldn't read into things....

Apologies excepted...:D :D