PDA

View Full Version : Advice re OU

jeanybeany
21-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi all Just wanted to ask how people felt about studying with OU. I have got qualifications equivalent to a level 5 or foundation degree. Last year I was offered a place at uni to do the top up degree but due to minding could not attend as they would not give me any help with being a little late most weeks and I did not want to let my parents down. I would really love to gain a degree, so have thought about OU, but really confused with credit transfer and which course to choose either BA Hons early years or the childhood and youth studies one. This all depends if my local early years team will fund me like they will if I goto uni.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Jeanette x

sarah707
21-02-2009, 10:32 PM
OU is a very different way of learning.

The courses I did were book based and I did not get on with the word counts which mean you are very restricted about what you can write. I felt that stifled me, but I suppose it helps you to focus as well.

The OU will be able to advise you on what courses you would need to do to top up your level 5 to degree. Best ring them in the first instance.

Good luck with it all.

Tatia
22-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Yes I'd call the OU credit transfer department. They'll best be able to advise you.

I actually really like the OU way of studying. The flexibility is great. I do, like Sarah, struggle with the word counts of assignments and I absolutely hate one of the courses I am doing now (E115) but the other one (ED209) is brill. So hey ho, I'd never have been able to study for my degree at regular college because of the times of classes so I'm thrilled to have found a way to make it possible.

singlewiththree
22-02-2009, 09:41 AM
I love studying with the OU. I'm doing the childhood and youth studies degree I'm on my second unit. I just do a bit when I can, usually on the last minute. There is financial help available which is what I needed to be able to do it. It fits in with my life and the support is amazing, you get all the books you need for the course and step by step help in completeing them! I can recommend it and seeing as you are obviously used to studying it should be a walk in the park. Like you said just working out the credit transfer and points system and your well on your way!

Then you can join in us in OU discussion too :)

Daftbat
22-02-2009, 11:12 AM
I found studying with OU great. Lots of support if you need it from your tutor and regular tutorials you can go to if you like. I did certificate in early years practice

Allie
22-02-2009, 12:43 PM
I did the E134 and E124 over two years as I am also studying my cert ed.
The first year I started with a great tutor, but she went sick and the replacement one was awful. The second year the tutor was great but I found the course so concentrated on their course materials with no room for independent research that i felt trappped.
Also although there was a supportive online forum there is not the kind of social life you get with other courses at FE colleges

I still would not rule out another course with OU but prefer going to college on a weekly basis

Allie

jeanybeany
22-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks everyone, I think this will be the way I will go. I am going to see what credit transfer I can get and then ask early years if I can get help with funding (they will fund the foundation degree through ou and top up degree if you attend the local uni, so I can't see why not if I explain the circumstances). I just need to get more up to date with the minding paperwork even though there is a never ending pile, so I feel more prepared!

As for the word counts I totally agree it's so hard to stick to them especially if you are a waffler like me. I always got pulled up on this at uni, but found it really difficult to do at first. Keep at it though it gets easier.

The only thing I was really worried about was the support, but I think you've all reassured me now. Heres hoping I get funding as I won't beable to do it without it, especially as I may be losing a full time mindee in a few months. Thats a different story.

Thanks guys:) :)

Jeanette x

huggableshelly
23-02-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm doing E123 and E124, both of my tutors are so different.

the one is extremly supportive via emails but pretty rubbish as tutorials, the other does wonderful tutorials but too slow for my liking where emails are concerned but she did state the days she checks emails and its a first in her mail first out so I think its more of lack of patience on my behalf.

Good Luck with your future studies xxx

Roseolivia
23-02-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm only doing E123 and my tutor is great. She always replies to emails and i enjoy the tutorials. Don't think i would manage without tutorials though.

louloudi
24-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Also doing OU and onto E215.

I know the OU allow credit transfer as someone on my course was NVQ 4 and didn't have to do the first 180 points for the foundation degree so I should imagine that you could easily top up to BA with theOU.

THe best thing to do is contact the OU yourself and check what credit you can transfer :)