PDA

View Full Version : Foundation Degree advice

nicaukids
20-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Hello - Hope this is right place for advice?
I'm quite newly registered (April 08) and looked at possible study options while waiting for my registration.

My LA does offer exceptional training - and usually at local venues but they're mostly early evening. Although I did manage the 8 weeks needed for ICP, there's no way I can make the majority of nights through a year or two for the remaining units.

I did originally look at FD in EYs and would really like to do this.
However, I have not undertaken any "Level 3" studies with Local Authority.

Is this going to be a problem with LA? Do you think I would be able to get funding in spite of no child related level 3 study?
BTW - I have completed a Level 1 IT course with the OU about 5 years ago so have done "A Level" study before.

Look forward to your advice & Thanks,
Nicky

Pipsqueak
20-02-2009, 05:53 PM
The criteria for being accepted on the FD (in my area at least) was that you ahd to have a level3 qualification first. Yr1 FD is equivelent to level 4.

Think you would need to ask at the uni about criteria:)

madasahatter
20-02-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm doing the FD through the OU and I didn't need a level 3. The first 2 modules of the course give you a level 4 qualification (Certificate in Early Years Practice)

tammys-tots
20-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Hello - Hope this is right place for advice?
I'm quite newly registered (April 08) and looked at possible study options while waiting for my registration.

My LA does offer exceptional training - and usually at local venues but they're mostly early evening. Although I did manage the 8 weeks needed for ICP, there's no way I can make the majority of nights through a year or two for the remaining units.

I did originally look at FD in EYs and would really like to do this.
However, I have not undertaken any "Level 3" studies with Local Authority.

Is this going to be a problem with LA? Do you think I would be able to get funding in spite of no child related level 3 study?
BTW - I have completed a Level 1 IT course with the OU about 5 years ago so have done "A Level" study before.

Look forward to your advice & Thanks,
Nicky

Hi, i think it should be ok, but with the OU foundation degree you need to be working directly with children and i think you need to have experience of about 2 years
Tammy

Roseolivia
20-02-2009, 07:49 PM
To do the F.Degree with the Open Uni you don't have to have any qualifications, but you do have to be working with children and have experience. If you wanted your l.authority to fund it they may want you to do L3 first but all authorities are different, you should ask your development worker or see what other childminders in your area are doing. I'm NNEB qualified and have completed DHC so am already L3 qualified so my next step was the F.Degree. Now i've started the first course and have completed 2 assignments i'm glad i have experience with children and already have a childcare qualification as it is a lot more study and slightly harder than L3. Again though everyone is different and some people may find it really easy.

nicaukids
21-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks for advice - I'm pleased that funding might be an option, so busy summer sorting out loads of stuff and reading course books - in anticipation of actually getting the funding :panic:
Fingers crossed x

tinkerbelle
21-02-2009, 03:23 PM
im doind the degree with ou and criteria for funding in my area is level 3, be working with children and have at least 2 years experience working with them
other areas may be different

Daftbat
21-02-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm doing the FD through the OU and I didn't need a level 3. The first 2 modules of the course give you a level 4 qualification (Certificate in Early Years Practice)

I completed the level 4 course with OU a few years ago and got funding from Early years for the full fees. You can then continue with OU to gain the foundation degree in chidcare and pretty sure funding would be available too.

I didn't go any further but good luck with your studies. By the way at my inspection yesterday my inspector had not come across the Early Years one before but was impressed by it all the same.

gigglinggoblin
21-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Am I imagining it that you can do a foundation degree through the ncma? Has anyone done that? Didnt realise LA may fund OU, will def look into that.

louloudi
21-02-2009, 05:40 PM
I too am doing the OU FD. I initially only had NVQ2 in early years prior. It's been hard work and I hopefully finish in May:clapping:

Plus if you want you can do another years with OU to gain BA Early Years