PDA

View Full Version : EYFS on 4 year olds after school

SandCastles
19-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Can someone answer my question please.... I am a new childminder and was recently told (by another childminder) that I didn't have to do observations on a 4 year old if they are at school all day and only with me for a couple of hours each evening. I asked the other childminder why they would be excluded from the EYFS she said "The school is doing all the EYFS observations during the day and I am getting them tired and not wanting to participate in anything." Do you agree? or do you think that I should do monthly observations and a learning journal for them?

Pipsqueak
19-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Yes you still have to follow EYFS for school age children up to the 31st Aug following their 5th birthday. yes the main provider of EYFS is going to be the school but as a provider yourself you will have to show that you are doing it too. You need to show that you are working with (or tried to) the school and vice versa.
The amount of obs etc for a schoolie is not going to be the same as a child who is with you full time.

so yes you are right your friend is not

miss mopple
19-02-2009, 10:22 PM
The school is delivering the main part of the EYFS yes. What you need to be doing is to compliment that, and cater for the childs needs as much as possible, whether that be letting them relax quietly for a while or following an interest with an activity.

I do scrapboks for my after schooler. Just a few photos, samples of drawings if he does them (which isnt often). No formal obs or planning at all.My inspector was more than happy with that.

It important to keep the lines of communication open with the teacher so you can find out how they are doing, that way if there is anything they need extra help with you can step in and try to support learning/ behaviour etc. Every so often I ask my mindees teacher if all is going ok and if there are any areas I can help with re school work, and I keep her informed if there is anything I feel she should know (with parental consent)

Hope that helps