PDA

View Full Version : Home Insurance - HOW MUCH

singlewiththree
19-02-2009, 04:04 PM
I got a quote from online comparison sites and its about £190. NCMA quoted £349.50 :eek:

I've checked with my insurance at the moment and its £170 for renewal but they had just put childminding down as an occupation and nothing else. It is now with the underwriters they keep calling me asking questions like how much money will have on the premises etc etc.

Is £349.50 a lot?

singlewiththree
19-02-2009, 05:14 PM
I've been doing comparison sites and they all seem for normal house insurance without childminding. Who do you all go with?

melanieabigail2004
19-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Morton Michel

rickysmiths
19-02-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm with Churchill have been for years. £65,000 contents cover and buildings last Dec was just over £200.

gigglinggoblin
19-02-2009, 07:49 PM
oh no, do we have to change home insurance?

singlewiththree
19-02-2009, 08:07 PM
You have to inform them that you are a childminder so that if you claim for something they have insured you properly.

Off to ring Churchill me thinks and MM.

Peppa
19-02-2009, 09:35 PM
crikey mine is £15000 at moment and £12 a month haven't said about minding so i dread that call tomorrow! :(

FizzysFriends
19-02-2009, 09:38 PM
My quote for buildings and contents was just over £300 but I called and told them they were too expensive and they reduced it to £197. Its worth calling companies and asking them to reduce their price.

hbomb1
20-02-2009, 07:49 AM
We have just gone with Sheila's Wheels. Had to ring them and explain about childminding etc - they were concerned about numbers of children, but DH managed to sway it and we got it for around £200, I think. NCMA insurers wanted nearly £400 :eek:

Mollymop
20-02-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm with Churchill have been for years. £65,000 contents cover and buildings last Dec was just over £200.

Me too. My insurance is £170 a year.

singlewiththree
21-02-2009, 11:44 AM
We have just gone with Sheila's Wheels. Had to ring them and explain about childminding etc - they were concerned about numbers of children, but DH managed to sway it and we got it for around £200, I think. NCMA insurers wanted nearly £400 :eek:

I've just rang Sheilas wheels and they said they dont insure childminders at all, they asked how many children I am registered to care for I said 6 so they said NO.

I'm a bit concerned as churchill are backed by RBS and they are potentially struggling.

First Direct wouldnt insure me.

Coop online was the next cheapest.

singlewiththree
21-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Just as a comparison for people looking for quotes it really does vary out there. Obviously everyones circumstances are different but for me it went

Fortis/AIG/Sheilas Wheels - wouldn't insure me as childminder

First Direct £377 - most expensive

NCMA - £349 - offers more benefits

Coop - 314 online but dearer by phone

Churchill - £183.75 :clapping: with money being so tight guess which one I went with :)

Amaranth
21-02-2009, 12:18 PM
I am insured with Morton Michel. They are a bit more expensive, but I know I am fully covered for childminding.
I would make sure you ask whoever you insure with how many children they will allow you to have, as quite a few will insure you as a childminder but only for a low number of children. One company I rang (and I can't remember which one, sorry :panic: ) would only insure me if I had no more than 3 children at any one time including my own!!!
Also a lot of companies will not pay out for accidental damage if you are a childminder. Surely that is the one thing we need, as the thing you would mainly claim for if anything, is a mindee accidentally damaging something?!

I don't mean to come accross as all doom & gloom about insurance companies, but I used to work for one, and there are a lot of them that will try and find any excuse not to pay out! :rolleyes: So I am always extra cautious.

her8y
21-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Im confused.

My insurance company (barclays) still insure me but not for any accidental damage. obviously being concerned about this I phoned Churchill.

Churchill have just told me its the same with them..??????

Does anyone know who insures childminders with accidental cover??

Amaranth
21-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Morton Michel & ncma deffinately insure you with full accidental damage cover. Not sure of which others do though.

rickysmiths
21-02-2009, 12:44 PM
I am insured with Morton Michel. They are a bit more expensive, but I know I am fully covered for childminding.
I would make sure you ask whoever you insure with how many children they will allow you to have, as quite a few will insure you as a childminder but only for a low number of children. One company I rang (and I can't remember which one, sorry :panic: ) would only insure me if I had no more than 3 children at any one time including my own!!!
l a losoAt of companies will not pay out for accidental damage if you are a childminder. Surely that is the one thing we need, as the thing you would mainly claim for if anything, is a mindee accidentally damaging something?!

I don't mean to come accross as all doom & gloom about insurance companies, but I used to work for one, and there are a lot of them that will try and find any excuse not to pay out! :rolleyes: So I am always extra cautious.

To be honest I have been a Childminder for 14 years and have never needed to make a claim for any accidental damage caused by minded children. I have not met a childminder that ever has.

Any small incidents have been covered by thr 10% wear and tear. It would have to be quite a significant accident to be worth paying the excess on the policy anyway.

I have claimed because I dropped a cut crystal bowl on the floor and they replaced (Churchill) the bowl and the carpet because I had small children, including my own at the time, crawling and there were tiny fragments of glass in the carpet that could not be removed.

It doesn't bother me that I am not covered for this to be honeast.

singlewiththree
21-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Im confused.

My insurance company (barclays) still insure me but not for any accidental damage. obviously being concerned about this I phoned Churchill.

Churchill have just told me its the same with them..??????

Does anyone know who insures childminders with accidental cover??

Money is tight for me at the moment with only one regular child on the books so I opted without accidental cover I know NCMA had it on but to be honest with a £50 excess I probably wouldn't claim anyway as most of my items that could get broken cost less than that anyway

Shar
21-02-2009, 02:36 PM
I have buildings and contents insurance. Every year I go on Go compare and then phone my insurer (churchill) who match the renewal quote.:thumbsup: I do have accidental damage cover and they know I am a childminder. Every year they send me a renewal that has gone up by £200:eek: and after the phonecall they reduce it by £200!!:thumbsup: Well worth doing. I pay £295 per year.:clapping: Homeminder gave me the most expensive quote £551 !!!!:panic:

Daftbat
21-02-2009, 04:11 PM
To be honest I have been a Childminder for 14 years and have never needed to make a claim for any accidental damage caused by minded children. I have not met a childminder that ever has.

Any small incidents have been covered by thr 10% wear and tear. It would have to be quite a significant accident to be worth paying the excess on the policy anyway.

I have claimed because I dropped a cut crystal bowl on the floor and they replaced (Churchill) the bowl and the carpet because I had small children, including my own at the time, crawling and there were tiny fragments of glass in the carpet that could not be removed.

It doesn't bother me that I am not covered for this to be honeast.

I found out by accident when i had been minding for a couple of years that i wasn't covered for accidental damage with the existing policy i had - my fault i know for not checking - however i have always made sure since then that i AM covered for accidents and am insured through NCMA. The reason being that the claim i had wanted to make was as aresult of ME not the children causing the accident. I agree that since we risk assess everything the changes are reduced for breakages etc to happen but i still want to be covered if i damage the carpet whilst decorating or if my LOVELY daughter spills nail polish all over her bedroom carpet when it had been down for THREE DAYS AHHHHH! I actually found NCMA cover for buildings and contents to be cheaper than my previous provider.

The Juggler
21-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I got a reasonably average deal (for the South East area) with Liverpool Victoria i.e. they charge the same as they would if I wasn't childminding.

All the other companies would either only insure for a maximum number of children per household which was four to six after which they would not cover accidental damage to soft furnishings etc or they would (like Morton Michel and NCMA) charge me a hefty premium to insure against that level of accidental damage.

Liverpool Victoria don't have a limit on number of children and insure you regardless.

Good luck. Lots of choices!

rickysmiths
21-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Penny C I am covered for accidental damage for me and my family and any of our friends. Just not for the mindees damaging any thing.:(

I could have a drunken orgy with all my friends, wreck all the carpets, smash all the cut crystal and I am covered!!!!!!!!!!!:clapping: :clapping:

The insurance industry are slightly strange the way they assess risk!!!!!!:laughing:

Peppa
21-02-2009, 09:03 PM
We are insures with elite! its a forces insurance, even tho we left in 2006.

I phoned friday to check about it, he said to me you need to get the parents to get insurance on there child incase they damage your house! :panic:

I said i'm sure thats not the case and i wanted him to find out that if i was a childminder would i be covered for them damaging my house! He said he will find out. Came back to me and said i could look after four children on topo of my two. anymore and i wouldn't be covered.

Its all so conufusing

kindredspirits
21-02-2009, 11:38 PM
oh **** i forgot about home insurance - theres always something you forget isn't there! lol
i have got a cheapie with direct line at the minute, tbh i only want insurance to cover if we get burgled or something, i don't have any accidental damage cover anyway, so can't really see the logic of needing to tell them i'm a childminder, its only contents insurance coz we're renting.
i mean, if we do get burgled or something god forbid they're not going to check my occupation are they?

Pudding Girl
21-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Zurich - £280 a year building + contents.