PDA

View Full Version : DHC help please!

Sarah555
18-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi I'm just in the process of registering as a child minder, i know i have to do unit 1 of the DHC as a requirement of ofsted (within 6 months of being registered) but i wanted to do all 5 units, if i don't do all 5 units will this effect my ability to find a mindee ie will parents look for someone who has done all 5 units and completed the DHC and choice them over someone who hasn't. And also i have read that it affects the parents claiming tax credits (to help with childcare cost), so if i don't have all 5 units can they not get any help?
I'm sorry if this is all obvious or makes no sense whats so ever but I'm hoping someone can help me!
Sarah

hbomb1
18-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Hi Sarah,

I am currently studying the DHC units 2-5 via the National Extension College (NEC), and was prompted to do so by my Ofsted Inspector who advised that all childcarer providers should hold a level 3 qualification by 2010.

As far as I am aware, it shouldn't affect someone's claiming of tax benefits - I would have thought that all the tax office would need is a childminder's registration number, not details of their qualifications.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

sarah707
18-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Whether it affects how many mindees you get depends on if parents are interested in your qualifications...

Whether you are trained or otherwise will not affect your benefits or any claims parents might make for tax credits as things stand now.

We have no idea how the training for the future is going to be provided / rolled out etc as it is not stated in the Eyfs.

A lot of childminders do not have qualifications beyond the first unit of the ICP because that is the only current legal requirement (apart from first aid of course).

Hope this clarifies :D

RedDragon
18-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Outside of child care workers I don't think others have a clue what the DHC is all about. I have passed 1-5 and not 1 parent has mentioned it as a reason for choosing me (so it must have been my sparkling wit and personality) :D
Or it could have been because everyone else is full in the village :)

Chatterbox
26-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Hi Sarah!
I registered in Jan 08, and was looking after 2 sisters and a little boy by the time I had done my second unit (3) in April 08 - all my parents know I am doing it, and am pleased that I am doing well but they don't know the ins and outs, and not one parent I have taken on since has even asked about 'qualifications'.
They were thrilled for me when I got an outstanding for my first inspection in Nov, but again, they know that I will do a fab job with their children regardless!! As I am sure you will do too! x