PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Planning

janey81
17-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Sorry another question about planning.

When you are doing your weekly planning do you just put the 6 areas of the EYFS and then what you are doing thats linked to that, or are you supposed to break it down into the components i.e making relationships, self care, self control etc.

Then am I supposed to do a daily activity plan for a particular activity that we are doing, e.g. making valentines cards, St Davids day, I just find that I haven't got the time to do daily plans, and please don't get me started on my obs.

I am really struggling with all the paperwork at the moment, I have done logs, risk assessment, individual folders but just can't understand the weekly/daily planning.

I want my evenings back:crying:

Jane

Juddster
18-02-2009, 06:48 AM
I do my planning around the 6 areas of development the rest you cover in your long term plans for unique child, positive relationships etc. I do mine around a theme as thats what i like and find easiest. However i have childminding friends whos plans are literally mon = toddler group tues = library and wed= dentist and thurs = craft activity making clay hearts or something. They just log it all in their own diary or a childminders daily diary sheet like you find on the bromley web site. Its not reams and reams of writing. As long as you are obs, and assessing and able to move the child on its what works for you. It could be doing crafts notice child a cant use scissors so will do another activity next week to improve their scissor control. Hope this helps. Your obs only need be a sentence or a photo too.

janey81
18-02-2009, 09:04 AM
I have done long term plan and monthly planning, then I set weekly planning, but am just finding it hard linking it to the EYFS and haven't found a table/chart that I can easily put together.

Jane

Roseolivia
18-02-2009, 09:28 AM
As people will soon realise i HATE paperwork and try to do as little as possible. I have a diary for each child, at the front of the diary i write each EYFS area. Next page i write the toys the children have to play with and other activities we may do (outings, crafts). Next page i have a sheet with the weekly routine(dinner, tea, playgroup). At the beginning of each month i write what festivals/celebrations we are going to celebrate, any special outing i have planned, any theme we are going to follow. I also write that things may change depending on weather etc. Then each day i write what we have done and link it to the EYFS (my obs also go in these diaries). When i started childminding i did daily plans and seperate evaluation for activities but found it useless and very timeconsuming.

mushpea
18-02-2009, 09:29 AM
I have an A5 diary in which i put somthing like the following

mon
toddler group--pd, pse

painting with sponges--cd,kuw,cll

I only choose to activities to plan each day as 80% should be child led so at the end of the day i then write in what esle we have done and link it to the areas of learning. quick and simple to do and my network person said that was fine.

MissTinkerbell
18-02-2009, 05:12 PM
I do weekly plans which are linked to the 6 areas and list roughly the activities I want to do. (These have been done in advance so i don't do them every week) I then have an A4 sheet which I list which activities we are going to do. There is also space on here for any observations and then next steps.

My inspector said that my planning was much more detailed than I needed to do but she could see that this was down to my teacher background.

janey81
18-02-2009, 06:49 PM
OK, so I am thinking I should do a weekly plan, showing roughly what activities I have planned with the hours / daily routine of what we are doing. I am only before and after school, so only plan for 3 afternoons a week for EYFS.

Then on a separate sheet do a individual plan of how a particular activity links into the EYFS, so if the children don't want to do the activity then I have at least a copy of the activity on file then and can use it in the future.

Jane

Peppa
18-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Its seems to get more and more complicated the more i read about the eyfs and obs and planning!

I have just started and have done march and april planning. Planned something for each of the 6 areas for each week. Is that enough? I know that i will break each week down and make sure i have something linked planned each day, the rest i was going to plan weekly, depending on what the child likes todo, and try link that to the theme.

I haven't started minding yet and i'm panicking, trying to make sure i have it all sorted! I have a little girl 5 starting for tuedays after school and a 5 year old girl in the holidays! Bring on End of august i say! No eyfs for them! :D

janey81
18-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Yes, my youngest mindee is 5 in July, so looking forward to that!!

sarah707
18-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Don't forget the Eyfs takes them right up to the end of their reception year at school... so depending on when their birthdays fall, they could need another year! :D

janey81
19-02-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm still stuck:panic:

Do I need to include details on the EYFS on the weekly plan, or do I just need to break it down on the daily activity plan

also on the weekly plan do I have to put down monday = this, tues = this or just put down what I have planned for the week, i.e themes, celebrations, resources etc - we never stick to the plan much anyway, as its child led

I know once I have sorted it all out if will be ok, I am so fed up of sitting at the computer and doing paperwork

Jane

lisa_vickers
28-07-2009, 03:59 PM
my mindee is 5 and starts year 1 september birthday march so should i be doing obs and all that.

sarah707
28-07-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm still stuck:panic:

Do I need to include details on the EYFS on the weekly plan, or do I just need to break it down on the daily activity plan

also on the weekly plan do I have to put down monday = this, tues = this or just put down what I have planned for the week, i.e themes, celebrations, resources etc - we never stick to the plan much anyway, as its child led

I know once I have sorted it all out if will be ok, I am so fed up of sitting at the computer and doing paperwork

Jane

You only need to do it once!

So if you are planning weekly for a range of activities that you intend to get out, you could link them all to the Eyfs.

Then as you think about day-by-day planning to children's interests and things change, you already have the plans there, don't duplicate just update them with what you have actually done.

This is why some childminders find working with continuous provision sheets the easiest. They are a pain to put together because they can take a long time but once they are done, they list all the Eyfs links for the different activities and save you writing them out again - plus they are great crib sheets for when you are doing observations etc.

Hth :D

sarah707
28-07-2009, 05:10 PM
my mindee is 5 and starts year 1 september birthday march so should i be doing obs and all that.

You need to carry on working within the Eyfs for the child until he finishes his reception year at school.

However you will be working in conjunction with school and your activities with him will need to complement what he is doing elsewhere.

So you are not solely in charge of meeting all the Eyfs learning and development requirements... you can meet them equally by giving him chilling time, letting him play on the computer or watch tv, reading some books, doing homework, playing football in the garden, having a game of dominoes and counting some of the dots ... etc

Hth :D

sonia ann
28-07-2009, 05:18 PM

if his 5th birthday was in march you need to follow eyfs until 31st August this year:)