PDA

View Full Version : SMEAR TESTS!!!

misst104
15-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Just been reading the 'poor Jade'thread and seems a few of us girlies are putting off our smear tests. Just thought I'd get everyones attention in case they don't read other thread and say GET YOUR SMEAR TEST BOOKED !!!!!!

I'm as bad as the next person as I hate them too but its so important. I've had cancer myself ( thankfully skin cancer not cervical ) but I know that the earlier its caught the better chance there is of treating it. Mine was malignant melanoma which is the most ferocious type of skin cancer but they caught it early and after having plastic surgery to cut it out I am now fine (quick touch wood if you are reading this please :D )

The big C word is awful but its so important that we look after ourselves so come on all you naughty girls who are due a smear. GET ON THE PHONE THIS WEEK :thumbsup:

jo x x x :)

Pipsqueak
15-02-2009, 08:06 PM
It is so important and when someone like Jade hits the news it brings it right up there in our faces.

This sort of thing is more difficult for some other than just its unpleasant or embaressing, as I have learnt when we had this discussion before on here. So whilst we all know what we should do lets remember that for some its a little bit tougher. sorry I don't mean that to be supercillious or schoolmarm telling of.

Just as a point, I am booking my overdue one this week, thanks for the reminder:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

her8y
15-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks Jo

This is just the push I needed. Will be on the phone on Monday to book mine which is very overdue:blush:

breezy
15-02-2009, 08:15 PM
had mine 2 weeks ago, awaiting results :)

RachelE
15-02-2009, 08:21 PM
You are so right!

I am also booking mine tomorrow! Its really hard as being a minder,you cant exactly take the LO's with you can you?
My dh is off this week, so I'll book it so he can have our 2 and I can go after the Mindees have gone.

I too have had cancer - of the bladder and have been following the jade story. I have shed tears and really feel for her and her sons.

Its just a shame it takes a potential death to make us all get off our bottoms.

LOOPYLISA
15-02-2009, 08:25 PM
So important i hate my yearly ones but this is wat happens if we don.t get them done x :thumbsup:

charleyfarley
15-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Mine was booked last week.

I must admit I don't look forward to them but I have to have them every 6 months so am used to having them and I know I am being watched

Carol xx

huggableshelly
15-02-2009, 08:29 PM
my docs were really good they had my mindee in the office with them whilst I was in with the nurse last year.

if you do that though you must gain permission from parents first, luckily i have a good relationship with the parent involved so was able to be open and upfront with her.

misst104
15-02-2009, 08:49 PM
It is so important and when someone like Jade hits the news it brings it right up there in our faces.

This sort of thing is more difficult for some other than just its unpleasant or embaressing, as I have learnt when we had this discussion before on here. So whilst we all know what we should do lets remember that for some its a little bit tougher. sorry I don't mean that to be supercillious or schoolmarm telling of.

Just as a point, I am booking my overdue one this week, thanks for the reminder:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Would just like to apologise if I have caused upset to anyone x x x

Chimps Childminding
15-02-2009, 08:53 PM
I should really get mine done - the problem is you have to do on a certain day of your cycle and its difficult when you have lo's, its not like saying I will be in to work an hour late on Monday morning, which you could do in a job outside the home!!! People then have to make alternative arrangements and I hate letting people down. That said I really must try and get mine done!!

Hebs
15-02-2009, 08:55 PM
i haven't had one for about 8 years :panic:

peanuts
15-02-2009, 09:00 PM
i dread my reminder coming through the door then the wait for the results

misst104
15-02-2009, 09:02 PM
i haven't had one for about 8 years :panic:

Don't you get reminders from the doctor??? Ours are quite good at sending you an appointmemt when its due and keep sending them until you book.

x x x

LittleAcorns
15-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Its really important, A few years ago age 25 I had an abnormal smear and needed treatment, they told me if I'd left it for 10 years, at best I would need a full histerectomy! I had no symptoms at all and was really shocked that I needed treatment
Just think had I left it I could be really ill now, Im 33,

oh and due mine now, must get it sorted :o

LOOPYLISA
15-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Don't you get reminders from the doctor??? Ours are quite good at sending you an appointmemt when its due and keep sending them until you book.

x x x

This is wat happens here :thumbsup:

gegele
15-02-2009, 09:14 PM
i hadpre cancerous cells a few years back, i was only 24, (thought i was too young!!!) anyway now i'm being watched every year!!

now there's my scary story:
my cousin right now in france is 37 a fell pregnant (by mistake she supposed to have a coil in)3months after having had treatment for cervical cancer. they don't know what happen to the coil. they just found out that the baby has abnormalities...waiting for result of amio to see how bad and what the next step is!!!!

it only takes 2min to do a smear, barely time to sort my shopping list!!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

madasahatter
15-02-2009, 09:16 PM
If you can't do a daytime appointment because of minding most (a lot of) doctors run the odd evening surgery for family planning purposes which you can often use to have a smear test done. Ask you doctors what is available locally.

wendywu
15-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Go to your local family planning clinic. My local one does two evenings per week. I always go there to have my smear because i can do it without mindees:)

Hebs
15-02-2009, 09:44 PM

x x x

yeah they do but i have to admit i ignore them :blush:

Pipsqueak
15-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Would just like to apologise if I have caused upset to anyone x x x

not at all mist xxxx:)

Carolyn, you say you have to have the smear done at a certain time of your cycle, I have not ever been told this. Obviously there are times when it can't be done. Perhaps it because I have to make the appointment and take pot luck as my cycle is so irregular

donnadoo2004200
15-02-2009, 09:49 PM
I didnt go for 11 years thinking it wont happen to me. Guess what it did, I had cervical cancer and cysts on my womb. Lucky it had not been there long and was caught in time. All I can say is please please go for your smears 10 min out of your day could save your life. I go yearly now without fail

LOOPYLISA
15-02-2009, 09:50 PM

Carolyn, you say you have to have the smear done at a certain time of your cycle, I have not ever been told this. Obviously there are times when it can't be done. Perhaps it because I have to make the appointment and take pot luck as my cycle is so irregular

Yes they tell me middle of your cycle x

Chimps Childminding
15-02-2009, 09:53 PM

I was led to believe that it had to be done around the 14th day of your cycle,(the day you started your period counting as day 1) I may be wrong, in which case it is much easier to arrange!!!!:blush:

gegele
15-02-2009, 10:01 PM
it's advise to be in the middle of your cycle but a smear a week later is better than no smear!!! they'll take you on as long as your not bleeding

Mollymop
15-02-2009, 10:29 PM
I am going to phone tomorrow to get booked in for next tues, my day off.
I have put it off for so long cos I am scared, not of having it done, I am not bothered, been prodded about lots as most woman have who have been through child birth twice. Just scared they may find something wrong. It may seem silly to some people, but I can't help it/

I am going to be brave and get it done x

LOOPYLISA
15-02-2009, 10:31 PM
I have put it off for so long cos I am scared, not of having it done, I am not bothered, been prodded about lots as most woman have who have been through child birth twice. Just scared they may find something wrong. It may seem silly to some people, but I can't help it/

You will be fine x

misst104
15-02-2009, 10:33 PM

Good for you. You will feel better for having made appt am sure x x x :)

P.S doesn't seem silly at all. I think everyone is worried about results (even if they don't mind the test) ;)

jo x x x

Mollymop
15-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Good for you. You will feel better for having made appt am sure x x x :)

P.S doesn't seem silly at all. I think everyone is worried about results (even if they don't mind the test) ;)

jo x x x

I think our clinic only call you in/let you know if there is any abnormalities, at least they used to.
I tell you what my problem is. I am a kind of hyperchondriact (sp?). If I have a bad headache I think I have a brain tumour, if my hands look puffy I thin kI am have problems with my heart/blood, etc
If I get a belly ache I think I have cancer of the stomach.
I know this is tmi - but when I go to the toilet I always check to see if I have blood just incase I have bowel cancer.
A few years back I had a reminder to go and have a smear test, I couldn't find the time and was near my period so i put it off even though i knew I needed to go.
Then I started seeing articles, magazines like Take a Break, tv programmes, books, the News, everything I seemed to look at over the next few weeks after the docs reminder had "cervical cancer" somewhere written, televised.
I got very paraniod and it made me ill (panicky)
I stared dreaming about it as well.
I am quite scared, I hope you understand that I have not been ignorant, just terrified

manjay
15-02-2009, 10:54 PM
I think our clinic only call you in/let you know if there is any abnormalities, at least they used to.
I tell you what my problem is. I am a kind of hyperchondriact (sp?). If I have a bad headache I think I have a brain tumour, if my hands look puffy I thin kI am have problems with my heart/blood, etc
If I get a belly ache I think I have cancer of the stomach.
I know this is tmi - but when I go to the toilet I always check to see if I have blood just incase I have bowel cancer.
A few years back I had a reminder to go and have a smear test, I couldn't find the time and was near my period so i put it off even though i knew I needed to go.
Then I started seeing articles, magazines like Take a Break, tv programmes, books, the News, everything I seemed to look at over the next few weeks after the docs reminder had "cervical cancer" somewhere written, televised.
I got very paraniod and it made me ill (panicky)
I stared dreaming about it as well.
I am quite scared, I hope you understand that I have not been ignorant, just terrified

I don't think you are ignorant at all! I have said before that although smears are not something that bother me there are certain things in life that I avoid like the plague because I am scared. I just bury my head in the sand and hope they go away (they don't) so I totally know where you are coming from. I hope you find the courage to go and have one soon

I too would go to the FP clinic next time as they are open until 7pm and no appointment needed xxxx

Annie_T
15-02-2009, 11:37 PM
i agree hun i had one few months back after falling ill (6 months in total) it came back clear .thankfully

my last one was 2003 according to the docs comp but i know i had one in 2005 few months after my miscarriage ..just guess the note of it got lost in the move to new docs or wasnt recorded !!

i dont like the gap we have between having a smear test tho tbh .. i think id prefer it yearly ..just incase

Blaze
16-02-2009, 01:29 AM
There is a family history of cancer & I have a history of problems myself...I have not had a smear for nine years...I have booked an appointment now (2 weeks time)...I will now spend the time between now & the results petrified of the results!!!

Tatia
16-02-2009, 08:28 AM
I've never been told there's a time within the cycle for a smear test. So long as you're not on your period, then they can do the test.

And again, I feel like I'm banging on but everyone please if you have pre-teen or teen daughters, ask for the jab to help prevent cervical cancer. It's available now.

About 15 years ago, I had pre-cancerous cells on my cervix and so did a friend of mine. She had some scrapy procedure done to take care of it and I was scheduled for the same treatment but discovered I was pregnant. So they just kept close watch on me and apparently, the trauma of my son's birth was enough to cause my cervix to shed the cancerous cells on its own as I didn't nee the procedure after he was born at all.

misst104
16-02-2009, 08:34 AM
There is a family history of cancer & I have a history of problems myself...I have not had a smear for nine years...I have booked an appointment now (2 weeks time)...I will now spend the time between now & the results petrified of the results!!!

Well done for booking the appt Blaze :thumbsup:

kindredspirits
16-02-2009, 09:22 AM
anyone know what age you should be having smears from???? i'm only 22 (23 this year) but my son is 2 now so don't know if i've fallen off the system somewhere.
anna xx

marion123
16-02-2009, 09:28 AM
on gmtv this morning they were talking about it and in this country the age is 25yrs

mertonparker
16-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Hello,
Have just read this thread and would urge all ladies to go and get checked out. I hadnt had a smear in 7 years :o Kept putting it off, throwing away the letters, thinking it'll never happen to me-surely there would be signs of something amiss..:blush: Ignoring the phonecalls to make an appt:( in the end my doctor actually rang me up requesting that I went in to see her. I was told that from a medical I had had several months earlier that there was blood in my urine...and that they had been trying for several months to get in touch with me :blush: anyhow had more tests and finally a smear. Whilst having the smear i was told it didnt look good. my cervix was severly inflamed and bleeds to the touch. when being asked a series of questions afterwards it suddenly dawned on me..I could have cancer:panic: i asked the doctor outright and she agreed it is a possibility:eek: Now im waiting for the results to come in and only hope Ive not learnt my lesson the hard way !

Please all ladies, go and get one done-I was embarrassed to have one due to my size-as im alot bigger since having my last child 7 yrs ago-silly I know, but true. I would rather be embarrassed for 5 minutes than die from my embarrassement.x

angeldelight
16-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Hello,
Have just read this thread and would urge all ladies to go and get checked out. I hadnt had a smear in 7 years :o Kept putting it off, throwing away the letters, thinking it'll never happen to me-surely there would be signs of something amiss..:blush: Ignoring the phonecalls to make an appt:( in the end my doctor actually rang me up requesting that I went in to see her. I was told that from a medical I had had several months earlier that there was blood in my urine...and that they had been trying for several months to get in touch with me :blush: anyhow had more tests and finally a smear. Whilst having the smear i was told it didnt look good. my cervix was severly inflamed and bleeds to the touch. when being asked a series of questions afterwards it suddenly dawned on me..I could have cancer:panic: i asked the doctor outright and she agreed it is a possibility:eek: Now im waiting for the results to come in and only hope Ive not learnt my lesson the hard way !

Please all ladies, go and get one done-I was embarrassed to have one due to my size-as im alot bigger since having my last child 7 yrs ago-silly I know, but true. I would rather be embarrassed for 5 minutes than die from my embarrassement.x

Oh poor you

How long do you have to wait for the results

Hope you are ok - thanks for sharing your story

I hope the results are good when you get them

Keep us posted

Thinking of you

Angel xx

mertonparker
16-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Thank you Angel for your kind words.
Have been told it could be anything up to 4weeks. Normal smear test results take around 6-8 wks. Have been waiting 3 wks now. Got my fingers crossed.

mertonparker.x

angeldelight
16-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Have been told it could be anything up to 4weeks. Normal smear test results take around 6-8 wks. Have been waiting 3 wks now. Got my fingers crossed.

mertonparker.x

Fingers crossed also for you

xxxx

Blaze
16-02-2009, 10:19 AM

mertonparker.x

Thinking of you! x

Blaze
16-02-2009, 10:20 AM
anyone know what age you should be having smears from???? i'm only 22 (23 this year) but my son is 2 now so don't know if i've fallen off the system somewhere.
anna xx

You should have them done if you have had a child...I was 19 when I had my first LO and had one done when she was 6 months

mum22
16-02-2009, 11:48 AM
I go regularly , I hate it as much as the rest of you, and only get through it by thinking of my children and then thinking of the poor nurse that has to do it 10 times a day and for her it is as normal as giving out injections.

kindredspirits
16-02-2009, 11:58 AM
You should have them done if you have had a child...I was 19 when I had my first LO and had one done when she was 6 months

thats what i thought somewhere along the line, thanks, i need to make an appt about my toes so i'll mention it then!!
anna xxx

Minstrel
16-02-2009, 02:15 PM
I had 2 babies before 25 and they wouldnt do it till i reached 25 even though i asked. Have had one now though and all was fine. I think they should begin them when you are sexually active and DEF when you have a baby.

RE: time you have it done during the month- my nurse told me the time in your cycle depends where your cervix is and how easy it is to take a swab. So i think the day 14 bit must be when it is easiest to perform the smear.

Well done to everyone who has booked them.

xxx

misst104
16-02-2009, 02:22 PM
anna xx

I might be wrong but I thought that you are meant to have a smear done after you have ababy (regardless of age). Might be best to phone your doctor and find out?? :thumbsup:

louised
16-02-2009, 03:08 PM
I haven't had one since 2003, just can't face it, I would rather give birth than have a smear test. I've been thinking about it a lot lately because of Jades story but I can't bear the thought. My problem is not that I can't find the time but the fact that I may have to face whoever carries out my smear again on another occasion, ie. seeing the nurse or doctor the next time I go to the surgery. I've been trying to find out if there is anywhere else I could have it done but so far haven't come up with anything, I'd feel a lot better if I knew i wouldn't see the person who does my smear again

Tatia
16-02-2009, 03:55 PM

You should have smears regularly as soon as you become sexually active, whatever age that is and whther or not you have a baby. The human papillomavirus is sexually transmitted and is the leading cause of cervical cancer. It is also why young girls should have the cervical cancer jab (here I go again!:D ) and also another reason condoms are so important!

Minnie mouse
16-02-2009, 04:43 PM
I had a smear done a few months back due to bad abdominal pains i was having. The nurse really didnt want to do a smear because im only 23 and although ive had a child, they really dont like to give them until your 25 which i think is disgraceful!! Anyway smear results were clear but still get abdominal pains which the doctors dont seem to have a clue about!! :mad:

Minstrel
16-02-2009, 04:54 PM
I haven't had one since 2003, just can't face it, I would rather give birth than have a smear test. I've been thinking about it a lot lately because of Jades story but I can't bear the thought. My problem is not that I can't find the time but the fact that I may have to face whoever carries out my smear again on another occasion, ie. seeing the nurse or doctor the next time I go to the surgery. I've been trying to find out if there is anywhere else I could have it done but so far haven't come up with anything, I'd feel a lot better if I knew i wouldn't see the person who does my smear again

contact your local family planning clinic. they may do them there or at least be able to advise you further.

my partners auntie also always has hers done at the hospital by a gynecologist (sp?) as she has a physical dis. but she says lots of woman go there for other reason such as phobias etc.

mertonparker
16-02-2009, 05:03 PM

Hello, Not sure if you have read my earlier post...I urge you to go and have a check, Please dont let embarrassment get in the way of your health.

mertonparker.x

louised
16-02-2009, 05:49 PM
I will make a few calls and see if I can find somewhere that will do my smear test

mertonparker
16-02-2009, 07:55 PM
I will make a few calls and see if I can find somewhere that will do my smear test

Well done-There will be somewhere you can have it done. Most Doctors surgery's have a well women clinic and its normally held in the evening. Please do check out your doctors and if they dont hold one please ask as to where you can have one done.

Take Care.
Mertonparker.x

jibberjitz
16-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Just been reading the 'poor Jade'thread and seems a few of us girlies are putting off our smear tests. Just thought I'd get everyones attention in case they don't read other thread and say GET YOUR SMEAR TEST BOOKED !!!!!!

I'm as bad as the next person as I hate them too but its so important. I've had cancer myself ( thankfully skin cancer not cervical ) but I know that the earlier its caught the better chance there is of treating it. Mine was malignant melanoma which is the most ferocious type of skin cancer but they caught it early and after having plastic surgery to cut it out I am now fine (quick touch wood if you are reading this please :D )

The big C word is awful but its so important that we look after ourselves so come on all you naughty girls who are due a smear. GET ON THE PHONE THIS WEEK :thumbsup:

I think the whole Jade - cancer hits home and should really get us motivated to get checked. I hate smears but I feel like I cant afford to not be checked :thumbsup:

helenlc
16-02-2009, 09:48 PM
I have mine done regularly. I hate it and get myself all worked up but its over quickly and could save my life.

Heaven Scent
16-02-2009, 10:20 PM
I am at a loss about when the rule about being 25 came into force because when I lived in "Holy Catholic Ireland" before I was 25 I had a couple of smears at family planning centres. Then when I came here I was almost 26 and I had one when I registered with the doctors then when I moved to Hartfordshire and registered with the doctor there they wouldn't do it because although the ruling was every 3 years in Manchester it was every 5 down south and the doctor said it would be destroyed if he did one. A few months later I had one done down there for some reason or another. Then when I moved back up here and registered with a new doctor in East cheshire they did one, then because I was undergoing fertility treatment I seemed to be getting them done every hands turn at different clinics, one doctor (an older lady) was really rough and she made me bleed and they couldn't read the results so I had to get it done again. I had them done after my 6 week post natal checks and my 2 were only 21mths apart then I had 2 within 7 years and one last year and was told then that they were to be done every 3 years now so I am due one in 2 years time.

Dr Hilary on GMTV said its the GP's call if they do it before the age of 25 and he said that if a patient under 25 requested one in his surgery they would do it - I'm also sure that if they you went to a family planning chinic they would do it for you.

I am quite sure that everyone should have access to a family planning clinic/well woman centre where you can have a smear annonymously. I'm a real woos when it come to medical proceedures when it comes to exposing my private parts - plus my weight causes me to be embarrassed so I always go to the family Planning Clinic rather than my GP.

louised
18-02-2009, 05:36 PM
I've finally made the appointment, now I have 2 weeks to worry about it. I made the appointment at the doctors surgery because i've got to face up to the fact that I have many more smear tests to go through and to put them off because I'm afraid i'll bump into the person who did it is ridiculous.

Minstrel
18-02-2009, 05:38 PM
I've finally made the appointment, now I have 2 weeks to worry about it. I made the appointment at the doctors surgery because i've got to face up to the fact that I have many more smear tests to go through and to put them off because I'm afraid i'll bump into the person who did it is ridiculous.

Well done hun! You'll be fine and then next time it will be much easier xxx

mertonparker
18-02-2009, 08:40 PM

Well done for taking the first step. :thumbsup: The 2 wks will fly by im sure.:)

Try not to worry.

mertonparker.x

Cazz
20-02-2009, 12:52 PM
I've got everything crossed for you Mertonparker.

I had mine about a month ago (was nearly a year overdue which is really bad of me) and I had a letter about ten days later saying that the lab were unable to test as there was insufficient sample :( . I did think she was very quick doing it! I made another appointment straight away and am going again on Tuesday.

Although I don't really like having them (and that's part of the reason I went overdue), as has already been said a couple of minutes of possible discomfort is better than risking the alternative.

I was talking to the nurse and she said the new jab for teenagers should definetly be given but they will still have to have the smears to check for any changes, but this is now from 25 years old as research has shown they were overtesting by doing it on ladies younger.

Also, I have heard that they are trying to reduce test result waiting times to 2-3 weeks so that will be a lot better.

Anyone due or overdue for one please book the appointment today - I think what's happened to Jade is heartbreaking and I am so upset for those two little boys - I'd hate for anything similar to happen to any of you lovely people on here!

Carole x

Jules12Wed
20-02-2009, 01:33 PM
I've had my reminder sitting in my bedside drawer for a few months now. Must get on and book an appointment.

Minnie mouse
20-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Can i just say, aswell as being upset for jade's 2 little boys who will spend the rest of their lives without a mum. We musnt forget how difficult this must be for jade too, i cant imagine as a mother myself knowing that you are going to leave your babies behind, never see them grow up, marry have your grand children etc. She must be broken hearted i just cant imagine what that poor woman is going through. I know her children will have to go through many years of sadness if jade doesnt pull through, but im sure the sadness she must feel right now in the last few weeks of her life must be what some people experience in a lifetime. xx

mertonparker
20-02-2009, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE=Cazz;342733]I've got everything crossed for you Mertonparker.

Thank you...still waiting :(
Will let you know :)

mertonparker.x

RedDragon
21-02-2009, 10:00 AM
My problem is not that I can't find the time but the fact that I may have to face whoever carries out my smear again on another occasion, ie. seeing the nurse or doctor the next time I go to the surgery. I've been trying to find out if there is anywhere else I could have it done but so far haven't come up with anything, I'd feel a lot better if I knew i wouldn't see the person who does my smear again

Can I just try to put your mind at rest?

I was an auxiliary nurse for a few years when I was 18. I used to carry out duties from helping to feed a patient, cleaning their false teeth, wiping their bum, wiping away tears, doing obs and sometimes sadly "laying the patients out" (where the deceased was washed, cavities filled with cotton wool, labelled etc-hope that isn't too much info).

I can honestly say that it absolutely didn't cross my mind to think of a patient in any other way than in a caring, professional one. When a bum was wiped I was a NURSE wiping it - I didn't for 1 second think "Cor blimey, that's a big one/scrawny one etc etc". Once the uniform is put on your mindset changes.

What I am trying to say (in my usual long winded fashion) is PLEASE don't let this reason stop you from visiting the GP's and having a smear. The nurse has seen 1 foo foo, she won't remember yours - honestly - seconds after you have left the room she will be thinking about something completely different.

None of us like to have our bits on show and we all know that it's a horrible way to lay there etc and most of us have issues but it's too important a thing to put to the back of the drawer.

LOOPYLISA
21-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Can I just try to put your mind at rest?

I was an auxiliary nurse for a few years when I was 18. I used to carry out duties from helping to feed a patient, cleaning their false teeth, wiping their bum, wiping away tears, doing obs and sometimes sadly "laying the patients out" (where the deceased was washed, cavities filled with cotton wool, labelled etc-hope that isn't too much info).

I can honestly say that it absolutely didn't cross my mind to think of a patient in any other way than in a caring, professional one. When a bum was wiped I was a NURSE wiping it - I didn't for 1 second think "Cor blimey, that's a big one/scrawny one etc etc". Once the uniform is put on your mindset changes.

What I am trying to say (in my usual long winded fashion) is PLEASE don't let this reason stop you from visiting the GP's and having a smear. The nurse has seen 1 foo foo, she won't remember yours - honestly - seconds after you have left the room she will be thinking about something completely different.

None of us like to have our bits on show and we all know that it's a horrible way to lay there etc and most of us have issues but it's too important a thing to put to the back of the drawer.

Exactly i couldnt agree more x :thumbsup:

louised
27-02-2009, 04:24 PM
I've done it! Had my smear test today! It was every bit as bad as I was expecting ,don't think I'll ever be ok with it but the nurse was lovely chatting all the time, even asked me if I had any vacancies for her son. Just have to wait 2-3 weeks now for the results and providing they are ok it'll be another 3 years before I have to go through it again. I'm so glad it's out of the way now.:)

angeldelight
27-02-2009, 04:25 PM
I've done it! Had my smear test today! It was every bit as bad as I was expecting ,don't think I'll ever be ok with it but the nurse was lovely chatting all the time, even asked me if I had any vacancies for her son. Just have to wait 2-3 weeks now for the results and providing they are ok it'll be another 3 years before I have to go through it again. I'm so glad it's out of the way now.:)

Well done for going Louise

Angel xx

RedDragon
27-02-2009, 04:29 PM

BIG WELL DONE.

I was gong to crack a joke but then I realised that this thread is quite serious so I'll keep my infantile humour to myself :blush:

Blaze
27-02-2009, 04:29 PM
I had mine on Wednesday!:littleangel:

angeldelight
27-02-2009, 04:30 PM

Well done Blaze

Angel xx

Blaze
27-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Thank you!:thumbsup:

mertonparker
27-02-2009, 05:11 PM

Well done Im really chuffed you went. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Good Job. Dont think many ladies like them but im sure we all agree they are worth that little bit of embarressment and that they are only once every three years...If we are lucky.

Well done to everyone who has been and had one done recently. :thumbsup:

mertonparker.x

breezy
27-02-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm normal:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
well not quite but mine came back clear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hope you all get the same result, it's certainly a relief :)

patevans
27-02-2009, 06:27 PM

Me too :clapping:

louised
27-02-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us that have recently had them, that the results come back clear.

Winnie
27-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Ladies, if you are scared or past smear tests have caused pain (sometimes they do, but it doesnt mean there is anything wrong) ask at your doctors surgery about who they would recommend.....in most GP surgerys it is the nurse who does the tests but sometimes its worth asking if there is a doctor with a 'light touch' <g> Even if you dont get a choice you can ask for a double appointment slot & ask the nurse to take her time over it. You dont have to put up with a rough examination. :blush:

ruby
27-02-2009, 08:57 PM
my daughter 's she's 25 came back abnormal so she had to go to the hospitol last week to have tests done.

we are waiting for the results hope everything is ok

glad that those of you who were scared etc have had them done and everything is alright.

cathy

Blaze
27-02-2009, 09:36 PM
my daughter 's she's 25 came back abnormal so she had to go to the hospitol last week to have tests done.

we are waiting for the results hope everything is ok

glad that those of you who were scared etc have had them done and everything is alright.

cathy

I've had abnormal results before (was 20)...try not to worry...I was lasered & all was well! Have my fingeres crossed for this time!:panic:

LOOPYLISA
27-02-2009, 10:43 PM
I've had abnormal results before (was 20)...try not to worry...I was lasered & all was well! Have my fingeres crossed for this time!:panic:

Me too, all ok but have to have yearly smears now x

Blaze
25-03-2009, 01:48 AM
Got my results back....normal...I am VERY VERY LUCKY....I haven't had one done for 9 years & should have them every year due to abnormal results in the past...I have made a promise to myself that I will go yearly from now on. Thinking of you Mertonparker.:)

charleyfarley
25-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Got my results back....normal...I am VERY VERY LUCKY....I haven't had one done for 9 years & should have them every year due to abnormal results in the past...I have made a promise to myself that I will go yearly from now on. Thinking of you Mertonparker.:)

Great news Blaze and to you too Breezy :clapping: :clapping:

I'm still waiting for mine as I had to rearrange my test. Hope mine are clear too.

Carol xx

FizzysFriends
25-03-2009, 07:25 AM
I have mine next month

patevans
25-03-2009, 08:00 AM
I am awaiting my results, seems like it was months ago I had it done but was only 4 weeks ago!!

louised
25-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Yeah i'm still waiting for my results, been nearly 4 weeks, expected them back in 2-3. I expect they've had a rush of tests due to Jade's story