PDA

View Full Version : DO YOU TYPE OR HAND WRITE YOUR OBS

angeldelight
13-02-2009, 03:03 PM
My friend who does not live in my area had her inspection this morning

She got outstanding

One of the things that the inspector was really impressed with was the lay out of her learning journal
My friend hand writes it all.
The inspector said it was nice to see and made a pleasant change and looked much nicer than printed

I always like to be neat and always think that my writing starts neat but then looks a bit messy when im in rush

She has colourful sticky lables from asda and she puts a pic in one - then the obs in another label and another for next steps - all different sizes and colours on the page if you get what I mean?
She writes the childs name at the top of the page and dates it

Most people I know type theirs

Just wondering what everyone else does do you have a page already printed and then write in the boxes or do you print in the boxes?

Angel xx

sarah707
13-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Mine are hand written onto pre-printed obs sheets. :D

Congratulations to your friend! :clapping:

charlie28
13-02-2009, 03:11 PM
my observations are hand written aswell.

jmoff
13-02-2009, 03:37 PM
mine are hand written

Mollymop
13-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Mine were hand written but then I started typing them because Ithought it looked much more professional.

Sue and I went on part 3 of the EYFS course on Wed night and one of things our tutor asked Sue was did she hand write her obs and then type them up and we both said yes and then she asked WHY? Because it looks better.
I do hand write somethings in their folders though, but not there formal obs that I do once a month.

Pipsqueak
13-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Mine are hand written (on pre printed obs sheets). I do have bits just stuck in like post its etc. But I find these easier to handwrite as I can do it as and when.

Well done to your friend:clapping:

Nix
13-02-2009, 04:24 PM
At the moment all mine are handwritten but I wondered about typing them on the computer as they'd be neater...:D

Nix,x

sue m
13-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Mine is actually a bit of both, more typing, very messy! The typing is more nicer to see than my handwriting. I handwrite in their scrapbook.

nell57
13-02-2009, 04:55 PM
I have pre printed observation that I then hand write on too:thumbsup:

madasahatter
13-02-2009, 05:09 PM
I do a mixture of both. If I'm doing an observation where I am not directly involved in the children's play then it is handwritten onto my preprinted observation sheet as I am watching them. If I am directly involved in their play and make a dictaphone/video recording then I type it up (I find the act of typing it condenses how much I write). Ad hoc mini observations are done on coloured sticky notes (the spontaneous things they say or a quick wow moment), which are then pritt stuck into their files. When I'm printing photos, I paste them into a 2 column word document, 4 photos down one column and a link to the EYFS in the second column next to the photo.

miffy
13-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Mine are all scribbled on different papers - depends what came to hand at the time!

I am planning to organise it all a bit better but haven't got round to it yet :rolleyes:

Like the idea of the different coloured sticky labels

Congratulations to your friend!

Miffy xx

Angela234
13-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Mostly typing , little bit of Handwritting.

I started with hand writting but started looking untidy so i now type a lot of mine looks a lot neater more readable there are still little bits i hand write.

I DON'T CARE IF OFSTED PREFER HANDWRITTEN I'M DOING IT THE EASY WAY.

I get fed up with changing to please Ofsted,

Tell its the end of the week

Angela

nannysue
13-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Mine are handwritten, i think it looks a lot more personal. Trouble is my writing is so tiny it looks as if i haven't written much!!!!:(

Heaven Scent
13-02-2009, 05:51 PM
As a past lecturer on level 3 courses I must say ALL observations should be hand written. They are about the moment and what is happening at that time and would be very questionable if it were to be typed. A student presenting a typed observation would have to re-do it I'm afraid You can type the recommendation and the future planning but not the observation. They can be put on pre typed forms if you wish especially Tick box observations and timed observations. Tick box observations must have the ticks in pen all other must have the information about what the child is doing during the observation in pen.

An observation must be as unobtrusive to a child as possible in order for us to get an accurate picture. If we go away and type it up later there is always a temptation for us to change it slightly and we may just miss the point altogether. A hand written scribbled obs is far more authentic than a typed one.

Saranotts
13-02-2009, 06:09 PM
I type them up, as otherwise it would look like the children had been writing it themselves:blush: and I think it is preferable that people be able to read what I have written then spend their whole time deciphering it and if Ofsted have a problem with that I will tell them that they are being discriminative against my disability of being clag handed:laughing: :laughing: !!

Sara

HomefromHome
13-02-2009, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=sarah707;336018]Mine are hand written onto pre-printed obs sheets. :D

ditto:)

balloon
13-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Mine are all typed up in word.

I do not change anything, I just found that the box that had where it ll fitted into the EYFS was unreadable and squashed up...

My photos are printed on the sheet too.

Oops, am due to be inspected soon too - something else to worry myself to death about...

charleyfarley
13-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Mine are hand written, I start off all neat like you Angel but then they do get messy coz I'm rushing the same with the daily diarys :D

I really should take my time.

Carol xx

wendywu
13-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Mine are all hand written onto printed forms as well. Just hope they can read my writing.:laughing:

angeldelight
13-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Mine are all hand written onto printed forms as well. Just hope they can read my writing.:laughing:

Yeah same here ha

Angel xx

marion123
13-02-2009, 09:17 PM

same here :laughing:

cher25
13-02-2009, 09:26 PM
I handwrite all of mine. My writing can be messy and like most of you, i have thought about typing it up. But it's taken me all my time to write it out as neat as possible (about an hour per ob, lol) that i can't be bothered with typing it out aswell. I write it all on an a4 lined paper and decided to just paperclip pics to it.

Carol
13-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Hand write mine too, as said before it starts off looking really neat but then scribble, but thats the way I do it.
Wouldnt want to do it twice, once is bad enough:laughing:

Carol

peanuts
14-02-2009, 07:49 AM
my copy for my files are typed up only because im a messy writer

Chimps Childminding
14-02-2009, 08:44 AM
I type the majority of mine - scribble obs down in a note book and then type them up later - my writing is terrible!!!!!!!!!!!! :blush:

Sarahbelle
14-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Mine are all typed. I used to be a Secretary and see no point in wasting a perfectly good skill. I type faster than I write! And if Ofsted don't like it..... tough! I've got enough to worry about.

beerheaven
14-02-2009, 03:55 PM
My writing is definitely getting worse a I age!! :(
I scribble down obs, writing down as much as I can and then I type it up later. If I didn't the parents wouldn't be able to read/understand anything!
I do use a lot of phots - well a picture does speak a thousand words, doesn't it?!!:)

Pauline
14-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Mine are hand written too onto my own designed/printed sheets :)

loocyloo
14-02-2009, 05:47 PM
mine are handwritten, on to formal observation sheets i typed/printed myself, then these, photos etc are stuck in a scrap book and sometimes have a sticky label stuck in that i write on, sometimes i just write on the scrapbook page, and other times i stick in whatever bit of paper i've noted down a 'wow' or whatever on! it does look a bit messy, and my handwriting changes depending upon how fast i am scribbling, but as its only me and the parents who have to read it, thats fine! (the parents get used to reading my scrawl, as they have a daily diary to read each day!!! )

xxx

beckyteddy
14-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Mine are handwritten onto pre-prepared forms. I use coloured pens to do little arrows!

I think if they were typed and then saved on the computer there might be issues with data-protection?

MissTinkerbell
18-02-2009, 03:08 PM
I do both - depends if I want to put in a photo. If no photo I hand write onto a pre-typed form. If I include a photo I usually type them. I will also hand write on the back of pieces of work that I include as evidence but then as I come from a teaching background, I have always done it like this.