PDA

View Full Version : Part time school aged 4...

Nix
11-02-2009, 12:28 PM
do they count in our under 5's until at school full time or until 31st August following their 5th birthday? If this is the case then we cannot fill their space while at school if we have them in the holidays? RIght?

How about those that are 5 and at school?

Someone asked me at Toddler Group today and I was unsure...I know you girls with know the answer!!

Thanks
Nix,x

Minstrel
11-02-2009, 12:36 PM
There are 2 different questions here.....

for ratios ....... once a child does full time school (10 sessions) they are counted as a child in the 5-8 group regardless of whether they are 4 or 5.

for EYFS ....... you have them in this group from birth till 31st august after 5th birthday.

hth

sarah707
11-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Absolutely! :D

Nix
11-02-2009, 01:39 PM
might still be being a bit thick here...sorry didn't sleep well!!

So when my child goes to school in September aged 4 he does part time till January and at that time he counts as over 5 in my ratios and I can take on a child under five to fill his space. In holidays he will count as being 5. Is this right? BUT while he is at school part time he counts in my under five numbers...yes...have I got it??

I know to do EYFS stuff on them until 31st August after 5th birthday...

Thanks
NIx

sarah707
11-02-2009, 02:27 PM
might still be being a bit thick here...sorry didn't sleep well!!

So when my child goes to school in September aged 4 he does part time till January so he is still 4 for your numbers...and at that time he counts as over 5 in my ratios yes, as soon as he is in 10 full sessions a week, not during half days / settling in periods etcand I can take on a child under five to fill his space yes. In holidays he will count as being 5. yes Is this right? BUT while he is at school part time he counts in my under five numbers...yes...have I got it?? yes

I know to do EYFS stuff on them until 31st August after 5th birthday...

Thanks
NIx

That's what they are saying at the moment :D

Princess Sara
11-02-2009, 02:33 PM
I did not know we had to carry on with EYFS until the 31st Aug after their 5th birthday, I thought it stopped when they were at school Full time. Does this mean for those few hours before and after school you need planning/observations etc?

Andrea08
11-02-2009, 02:39 PM
sorry to ask i know every school is different but why is a child only doing part time till Jan?

at most schools its no more than 3 wks at part time, reception class not nurserys??

sarah707
11-02-2009, 02:42 PM
I did not know we had to carry on with EYFS until the 31st Aug after their 5th birthday, I thought it stopped when they were at school Full time. Does this mean for those few hours before and after school you need planning/observations etc?

You need to show you are complementing the care the child receives in school... but yes, it must be in line with the Eyfs.

The paperwork you produce will be in proportion to the time the child is with you, so a full time child you would do the whole learning journey... a part time child you would produce some observations and planning etc for the time he is with you... a before or after schooler you can mostly evidence through their routine.

Hth :D

Andrea08
11-02-2009, 02:44 PM

yes but if you think of the hrs you have the child and the needs of the child within thoes hrs

morning = warmth loving caring environment,,,parent partnership ,, drink of milk?,,walk to school thats your planns unless anything happens you only need to record the time of arrival and any parent "quotes"

after school= safe walking /travel to setting any shops on way or park, change clothes etc free play evening meal and again only obs if you feel there is something you need to any photoes are gr8 as it will show how child is still enjoying your setting and is safe and all the childs needs are met

so only once a month to check the child is happy,, do a school age questionnare and do it together about likes etc wish i only had after school children ive made it sound ohh so easy xx

Nix
11-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Schools round this area start children who are five in the autumn term on full days and spring and summer children start on half days. My child is 5 next JUne so doesn't attend full time until January despite starting in September.

Guess they all do it different.

NIX,X

Nix
11-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks Sarah.:thumbsup:

Nix,x

Nix
11-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Sarah...

is this written anywhere please??

Thanks.
Nicola

Nix
11-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Passed info onto my friend and she wasn't quite sure...anyway she had Ofsted on the phone and they confirmed this is correct...:thumbsup:

Thanks again Sarah...:D

Nix,x

PixiePetal
11-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Schools round this area start children who are five in the autumn term on full days and spring and summer children start on half days. My child is 5 next JUne so doesn't attend full time until January despite starting in September.

Guess they all do it different.

NIX,X

Where I live it is

Children born Sept-Dec are full time straight away
Jan-Easter hols- Full time in Jan
Easter-August are part time till Easter.

Right pain in the rear! DD was desperate to be at school full time but had to wait till After Easter that year as she was to be 5 in the May.

DS was nearly 5 before he started at all as he is Nov birthday, but went full time straight away.

jus
12-02-2009, 04:14 PM
I have a mindee who started with me in Sept 08, the mindee was already 5yrs old when he came to the setting,:clapping:
I'm looking after a family members child he's 3yrs will I still have to do planning and obs for eyfs the same even if he is a family relative. I have him 7.30 til 12.30 plus the odd day after nursery.

jus

sarah707
12-02-2009, 06:46 PM
I have a mindee who started with me in Sept 08, the mindee was already 5yrs old when he came to the setting,:clapping:
I'm looking after a family members child he's 3yrs will I still have to do planning and obs for eyfs the same even if he is a family relative. I have him 7.30 til 12.30 plus the odd day after nursery.

jus

Yes you will... if he is in the agegroup for Eyfs and you are getting paid, then you treat him like any other minded child.

How are you? Long time no see.. :D

joles
04-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Hi Everybody, this is my first post here.

I only recieved my registration cert on sat and have two children starting on wed!! problem is they are 6 and 10 and will only hav for 2 hours a day before school. I have been focusing so much on EYFS I am not sure if I should be doing any sort of planning/obs for this age group.

Can you help please?

Chatterbox Childcare
05-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Hi Everybody, this is my first post here.

I only recieved my registration cert on sat and have two children starting on wed!! problem is they are 6 and 10 and will only hav for 2 hours a day before school. I have been focusing so much on EYFS I am not sure if I should be doing any sort of planning/obs for this age group.

Can you help please?

No the eyfs doesn't apply to these ages and you can have free play and let them choose if that is what works for you and them

Chatterbox Childcare
05-05-2009, 09:16 AM
If you have 3 children under 5 and 1 in reception class you have 4 under the EYFS register so make sure you get your overlap or you will be outside your numbers

emile1973
06-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Sorry to gatecrash but I was wondering how this situation works for my numbers.

One of my under 5's goes to nursery in the afternoon every day and then in the mornings he goes to a private nursery for 3 days.
I am right in thinking this is only 8 sessions even though at the private nursery he stays til after lunch and they take him onto afternoon nursery???

This has been going through my mind for a while so if anyone can confirm it would be good
Thankyou x