PDA

View Full Version : A sad lesson

oneofeach
02-02-2009, 10:10 AM
My mums cousin died on Saturday night.

You might wonder why am am posting this on the fatties of the forum but please keep reading.

L was 55 when she died, she had 2 sons and 3 gradchildren and a huge extended family who loved her very much.

She had a difficult life, her mum walked out on her when she was very young and her and her siblings went into care until her dad could work things out and get them all back.

To cut a very long story short she was abused while in care, treated badly by men most of her life and her comfort was food. I am sure I dont know anywhere near the full story of what happened in her life and I don't think I want to know.

I have no idea what her weight was but I would guess at about 20 stone.
She was diabetic, almost blind and went to hospital 2x a week for kidney dialysis. But still she ate the wrong things.

She had a stroke last week and was taken into hospital and died of kidney failure on Saturday.

This has left us deverstated, L was such a wonderful person and would have given a stranger her last to help them but she refused to help herself.

She neglected herself for years and basically died because of it.

My mum rang me from hospital on Saturday to tell me the news and usually my first reaction to bad news would be to open a bottle of wine and stuff my face but I didn't.

I started at SW a couple of weeks ago and have lost 5.5lb. I was doing this because I hated how I looked. I have finally realised that I need to do it for health reasons and not just vanity. Hopefully L will be my angel sat on my shoulder helping me get healthy.

Its strange how it takes such a sad thing to change how we think but this has been a huge wake up call for me. I am about 3 stone over weight and now is the time to do something about it.

It just breaks my heart that L couldn't love herself as much as we all loved her, maybe if she had my mum would not be going to register her death this morning.

Thanks for reading girls.

emler
02-02-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm so sorry to hear your sad news Kirsty. It really is tragic and 55 is no age at all. Thinking of you and all your family.

devoncm
02-02-2009, 10:48 AM
So sorry to hear your sad news, things like this happening does make us stop and think tho.
Thinking of you all..xx

Carol
02-02-2009, 11:03 AM
55 no age at all...................but it does make you think

Take Care

Carol xx

miffy
02-02-2009, 11:07 AM
So sorry to hear your news. It's wonderful you're finding something positive from it and I'm sure L will be your guardian angel.

Hugs to you

Miffy xx

oneofeach
02-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks girls

mum22
02-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Very sad story, thank you for sharing, certainly made me think.

breezy
02-02-2009, 07:06 PM
thinking of you and your family x

angeldelight
02-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Oh that must have been really difficult to write down Kirsty

Hope you are ok

You are so right though we dont always see what others see do we

Sorry to hear of your loss

Big hugs to you

Angel xx

Andrea08
02-02-2009, 10:53 PM
A very sad lesson your right but you are doing something for you and your family now and she will be with you all the way,

thanks for your story im sure it will give others strenth as they quit smoking or go on the diet

all the best and good luck xxx

Rubybubbles
03-02-2009, 11:59 AM
sorry to here your news hun xxx

Nix
03-02-2009, 03:32 PM
thinking of you...

nix ,xxx

Polly2
03-02-2009, 04:42 PM
She sounds a lovely woman - sorry for your loss xx

childmind04
04-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Hug to you and your family

xxx

Heaven Scent
04-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Oh how sad poor woman and well done to you for sticking to what you know is the right thing.

marion123
04-02-2009, 08:45 PM
thinking of you and your family xx

izzy
04-02-2009, 10:48 PM
am so sorry to hear your news, she sounds like a lovely lady. what you say has made me sit back - i too am 5 stone overweight and am going to start looking after myself from now on, best wishes x