PDA

View Full Version : Variation worry

Stix
01-02-2009, 10:26 AM
OK, I'll try to be brief!

I have two children of my own and I am expecting a third. My children are 4 and 2. I mind a little boy of 10 months and my baby is due in June. Mindee's parents were due to move in June but are now staying. This means that once my baby arrives I will be over my numbers.

I intend to ask for a variation as in September, my eldest starts school (she is 5 in December so as of Sep is a rising 5). So would only need the variation for a couple of months as I'll be having a month off after the baby. Mindee will be 16 months when I return to work.

I don't have him full time, he is here quite randomly really, each week is different. Some days I have him for 8/9 hours, some 4, some 2 some not at all. Eg last week he was here 4-8:15pm mon and then 10-6 fri.

His parents are keen to keep him with me and to be honest they would be stuck without me as there is only one other childminder, but she is full and can't offer the flexibility that I do, they live across the street and the local nursery shuts at 6:30pm but they need a minder until gone 8pm some nights. Both parents work shifts.

Mindee has slotted in with the family really well and we all adore him, my girls sulk on the days he doesn't come! I would hate to lose him.

I applied for a variation last year so that I could look after a friend's two children and got a flat out NO. But that was full time and my two were quite a bit younger. They also said they wouldn't even consider a variation until I'd been inspected. I'm expecting an inspection next month but I feel I need to give the parents an answer soon as their work hours are so complicated.

I suppose I'm just wondering what my chances are really.

crazybones
01-02-2009, 10:34 AM
I think for continuation of care you would have a much better chance than your previous request being a new family. Send them a letter and it might prompt your inspection at which time you could talk it over with your inspector in greater detail.

berkschick
01-02-2009, 11:11 AM
I think you would get the variation without too much bother as it is for continuation of care which OFSTED are quite keen on!

I have had lots of variations granted for this without any problems,

I am happy to help you write a letter if you need me to :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
01-02-2009, 02:07 PM
sorry if I have read this wrong but if you mindee (who is currently 10 months now) will be 16 months by the time you return to work then you won't need a variation. Mindee will be over 1 and the only under 1 you will have is your own newborn.
If your eldest will be considered rising 5 come September then she has moved into your next age bracket (although consider she might not start the full 10 sessions per week required to be considerd full time, for a couple of weeks)
So that will leave your 2yr old daughter and mindee in your over 1 -5 bracket and your newborn in the under 1;s, so technically you might only need a variation for a couple of weeks while your daughter settles into school.

Sorry if I am talking poop:o

madasahatter
01-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Whilst I agree with you in principle Pipsqueak, the arrival of another child into the family would probably make ofsted change her registration from 1 child in the 0-5yr bracket to no children in the 0-5yr age bracket, and Stix wouldn't be able to get a new certificate until her eldest child is actually 5 yrs of age.
Personally if I was in that situation I would ring Ofsted for advice on how to apply for the variation. Along with the others I would be surprised if you weren't granted the variation.