PDA

View Full Version : Daily Diaries..need an easier way

StaffsMinder
30-01-2009, 06:48 AM
Hi all, I need an easier way of using the diaries. Ive tried just using a small book but find I never get chance to write it up and i've done the piece of paper thing. Its hard when they leave at different times. what ways do you??

Thanks

Michelle

angeldelight
30-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Hi all, I need an easier way of using the diaries. Ive tried just using a small book but find I never get chance to write it up and i've done the piece of paper thing. Its hard when they leave at different times. what ways do you??

Thanks

Michelle

Sorry I dont think there is an easier way

I have tried sheets but they seem to get everywhere after a bit

I use a thick book now and I do write it up every day when the children are napping or having lunch

It has only got to be about their day and routine

Are you maybe writing to much ?

Angel xx

DudleyChildmind
30-01-2009, 07:35 AM
I haven't done this before because I didn't have any under 5's but I will be starting it today when the new children arrive. I will be using the daily diarys from Bromley.

miss mopple
30-01-2009, 07:38 AM
I have books ( got them on ebay) and I just keep them open on the table all day and jot things down when I get a second. Doesnt take too much time that way.

DudleyChildmind
30-01-2009, 07:39 AM
I have books ( got them on ebay) and I just keep them open on the table all day and jot things down when I get a second. Doesnt take too much time that way.

That's a good idea, I'll do that, thank you :thumbsup:

Nicky
30-01-2009, 07:39 AM
I literally use an a5 diary!

Like Angel I try to write it when they are napping or eating.

I just put what they have done (main things), nappy changes, sleep, snacks and meals.

Nicky

charleyfarley
30-01-2009, 07:41 AM
I just have an A5 hardback book for each of them filling in food eaten, drinks, naps. nappy changes and what we've done during the day.

I only do easy :laughing:

Carol xx

tomthumb
30-01-2009, 07:41 AM
I have a binder so I have bound sheets together to make a nice book.
I only put what they had for snacks, lunch and dinner. Then I have a space for nappy where I write time and whether it was wet or poo. I write a sentence or two for morning and the same for afternoon. The diaries are kept on my table so easily accessible and I write as I go along!
I keep it to a minimum: 'L played with garage and cars. He enjoyed making the cars fall off the roof'.

Hope it helps

Elodie XX

Mollymop
30-01-2009, 07:45 AM
I just have an A5 hardback book for each of them filling in food eaten, drinks, naps. nappy changes and what we've done during the day.

I only do easy :laughing:

Carol xx

I do the same as Carol. It doesn't take a few seconds just to quickly write "nappy change - 11.30 - wet" in the diary. I do write what we have been doing but I keep it short and simple.

crazybones
30-01-2009, 07:48 AM
I do the same as Carol. It doesn't take a few seconds just to quickly write "nappy change - 11.30 - wet" in the diary. I do write what we have been doing but I keep it short and simple.

Same here. Just an A5 book. Sometimes write little extras like "Will need nappies for Monday" or little small notes. Doesnt take long - leave them open on the breakfast bar and takes seconds to jot down a little note.

PixiePetal
30-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Same here. Keep the diaries on the table to jot down as I go along. Or while they are eating lunch. Hardest day is thursday when one goes at 12pm another at 1pm and another 4.45pm. Hard with doing lunch and writing at the same time, but I manage!

HelenJC
30-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Hi there

I saw my childminging co-ordinator yesterday and showed her what I do. She said it was fine - whatever worked for me - no right/no wrong way.

Firstly thought - my parents prefer word of mouth to written details!

I keep an A4 size diary (page per day). At the top I write

In Out In Out
Child Name
Child Name

Then I write what we do - I include all children -

8.45 School Run
9.30 - 11.30 Toddler Group - Craft, Stories, Song time (I sometimes highlight
a particular craft or activity the children particularly liked)

12.00 Lunch

12.30 Pre-school (child name)
Sleep (child name)

1.45 Look at books
play with train set etc

2.45 Pick up from pre-school and school

Outdoor play - we stay in playground most days and do games
like hopscotch, skipping, parachute, races etc

3.45 Home - snack and drink

Play - whatever activity or toys organised

Homework - for older children
TV (yes this is allowed after a busy day at school)

Then the children go home at various times - filled in at top of sheet.

My parents do not sign this book but I have it to refer to if necessary.

I do keep a small book in each bag for details the parent might need to know and parents can write similar details for me - we use this very little.

Hope this helps - and is not too much.

sarah707
30-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Mine is short notes in an A5 book... I encourage parents to write in it as well but it doesn't happen often :D

rickysmiths
30-01-2009, 08:33 AM
I have done various things over the years. Little books in bags has never worked, I always talk to the parents in the morning and at pick up and all those little books end up not being looked at a lot of the time!

What I do now is one A4 hard backed daily diary in which I record the menu for the day, with where the food was bought. All the activities we do and any things of interest the children come up with. I then link all we have done with colour coded stickers, to EYFS.

I dont need to record arrival and departure here because it is in the register which the parents sign each week.

I have a scrap book for each of the children, I record my observations in this along with photographs and examples of work. I make notes of how the activities link into EYFS and how they will move on. Again I use colour coded stickers and have put a key in the front explaining to the parents. This goes home once a month for the weekend for the parents feedback. It will go home for good when it is full so I photo copy them as I go along so I have a record for myself.

Once a term I put the childs photos on a disc with a few with the other children as well (I have parents permission to do this) and send it home. The parents love this because they can SEE what their child has been doing.

I find this all works well for me and the parents without too much work.:clapping:

miffy
30-01-2009, 08:41 AM
I do a sheet (two days to A4) but keep it simple.

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak
30-01-2009, 08:49 AM
I have an A5 book for each child and I quickly write up (jot down) a brief overview of the day including meals, snacks, nappy changes any "wow" moments and if there are any notes for the parents that I don't want to forget I stick in onto a postit notes and put it on front of book. Don't get comments from the parents but the books are always returned - although I am not sure if they are actually taken out of the bags in the first place:rolleyes: Might occasionally stick a pix in!

HomefromHome
30-01-2009, 08:50 AM
made my own a5 books - i just print off the pages when it gets low and add them.
day/date
a little menu table to record what they had (break/lunch/diner/snacks/drinks)
a comments bit for eating
toileting/nappies
sleep
what i did today
today, i felt
childminder's comments
parents comments

all in boxes to make it look neater

:)

Polly2
30-01-2009, 09:55 AM
I do same as Miffy - daily sheets

marion123
30-01-2009, 09:59 AM
i use an exersise book from asda i write what they had to eat sleep nappies and some of the toys they have played with and if they have been happy sad going to the toilet sometimes i get them back but more often they forget to bring them then i write it in a piece of paper to rewrite it in when book comes back

StaffsMinder
30-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks everyone. Maybe I need to cut down on how much i'm writing!

Jules12Wed
30-01-2009, 12:15 PM
I use an A5 book but with a spiral binding as I found the other types that the pages used to fall out. I write mine like a diary i.e.

Today J arrived at my house at 8.00. We left straight away to take G and A to school, when we got home etc etc.

I write it up as the day goes on when I get the odd few minutes, when feeding etc. When they are all asleep I print off photos I have taken in the morning and stick those in too.

Twinkles
30-01-2009, 01:50 PM
I have a5 sheets that I put in a small ring binder.

times
meals , what & how well eaten/liked
milk
water
nappies - i have numbers for wet & dirty nappies and I just circle the appropriate number
naps - times etc

what did we do today - very brief ie went to toddlers A liked playing with the cars. Or we went for a walk A enjoyed puddle splashing.

On the back I have space for wow moments and/or parents comments

Takes 5 mins at teatime.

Fairydust
30-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Most of my mindees are part-time and some days I have four diaries to keep up to date! Some days I just dont manage and to be honest I know that sometimes the diaries are not looked at by the parents which I find most annoying especially when the children have glued photos and artwork in them and are excited for their parents to see them! At the beginning of the week I glue in a menu so parents know what the snack is to be and I also do a note with proposed activities/important dates/celebrations etc. I encourage parents to use the diary as two way communication but in 8 years of childminding not one parent has written anything in them! I also use stickers in the diaries such as happy faces and stars for special achievements which the parents and children love. Hope this helps.

Shar
31-01-2009, 06:08 PM
I use the BCMA child daily diary, there great. My last Ofsted inspector loved them.:thumbsup:

PixiesDen
01-02-2009, 09:04 AM
I have a pre-printed shet that has date name meals times etc listed with fill in boxes for quick additions. Its much quicker that way.
If I knew how to attach I would be happy to share them with the group.
Not every parent reads them but at least they can if they wish to.

helenlc
02-02-2009, 09:54 PM
I use BCMA ones, they are fab and so easy to use and quick to fill in!!

Plus my friend gets them cheap for me as her hubby is the webmaster for the BCMA!! Lol

Andrea08
02-02-2009, 10:10 PM
My LA gave us diarys and its simple to use theres about 14 days for writing daily notes then there are EYFS sections for each of the 6 areas of L&D

eg PSED
i AM STARTING TO....................

I am practising....................

I can now do.....................

last page in section is.... I am working towards,,,,,(this is for your next steps)

what ive been doing /interested in at home///parent/Carers comments...

it covers Obs, and next steps and parent partnership.. ive learned to cut down on this work as i was doing farr to much if parents do not return diary i keep it and send home a simple fact sheet meals/routine/dates to rem/ etc