PDA

View Full Version : first aid box

gegele
28-01-2009, 09:39 PM
I just realised that the content of the first aid box hasn't been covered during my 1st aid course. Should it have been?
can someone please tell me what i can and can't have in my boxe please
Is it the same than in 1st aid at work?

I'm disappointed, thought i was going to learn lots of things, have freebies ect... NOUGHT!!!!! and it cost me a fortune!! never mind I'll know better in 3years time.

singlewiththree
29-01-2009, 07:33 AM
I will dig out the list they gave me at my first aid course later but thought I would bump the post up incase someone has one to hand and just missed your post.

sarah707
29-01-2009, 07:43 AM
I wasn't given a list either but I have a box from the course before the last one, so I just maintain the contents in that.

It's the wrong colour though according to some posts I've read on here recently.

I need to address that at some point :rolleyes:

melanieabigail2004
29-01-2009, 07:47 AM
Mine's ina green box which has a cross on the side of it. Contents are:-

- Large sterile dressings x 2
- Eye pad sterile dressings x 2
- Medium sterile dressings x 6
- Triangular bandages x 4
- Alcohol free wipes x 10
- Medium gloves x 3 pairs
- Low adherent pads x 5
- Resusciade x 1
- Scissors x 1
- Microporous tape

Just in case anyone wonders how I know this I've just included it in one of the sections of my NVQ!

Mel

misst104
29-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Mine's ina green box which has a cross on the side of it. Contents are:-

- Large sterile dressings x 2
- Eye pad sterile dressings x 2
- Medium sterile dressings x 6
- Triangular bandages x 4
- Alcohol free wipes x 10
- Medium gloves x 3 pairs
- Low adherent pads x 5
- Resusciade x 1
- Scissors x 1
- Microporous tape

Just in case anyone wonders how I know this I've just included it in one of the sections of my NVQ!

Mel

We were told recently on our first aid for children that cm's shouldn't have scissors in the F.A box ?????? Am sure they said we shouldn't be using wipes (any kind) on other peoples children too but can't remember why not!!!!

jo x x x :)

rickysmiths
29-01-2009, 02:39 PM
You can have sissors in you box as long as they are round ended ones NOT POINTED END ONES.!

You should not have any moist( I assume you mean anticeptic wipes) in your first aid box. :( A lot of people are allergic to them so you you are not supposed to use them. You should not have any antisceptic fluids or ointments either.

Basically you should have a variety of dry dressing and bandages of a suitable size for use on the children you mind.
If you have to clean a wound you only use water and never apply anything more than a dry dressing, or plaster -remember to get signed permission for plasters.

All of this must be kept in either a GREEN box with a white cross or a box of your on with a clear label which is GREEN with a WHITE CROSS on it. This is the european standard for all first aid boxes.

Jules12Wed
29-01-2009, 04:50 PM
4 Triangular bandages seems a lot. I have just done my first aid course and the guy said that he has never used a triangular bandage in the whole of his career working in the leisure industry. I have one in my box.

What gets me though is I checked my first aid box after first aid course and some of my bandages have expired I have had to go and buy new ones just because of a date!!! But was told on the course by another childminder that someone got given inadequate cos they had bandages that were out of date.

madasahatter
29-01-2009, 05:01 PM
We were told that antiseptic wipes were ok...but only for for cleaning your own hands and not to be used on wounds or children in you care.

rickysmiths
29-01-2009, 05:25 PM
We were told that antiseptic wipes were ok...but only for for cleaning your own hands and not to be used on wounds or children in you care.

I would leave them next to but not in I know a cm thet was marked down for having them in because she said someone might use them by mistake and you would be responsible because you put them in there.

Pauline
30-01-2009, 01:43 PM
You should not have any moist( I assume you mean anticeptic wipes) in your first aid box. :( A lot of people are allergic to them so you you are not supposed to use them. You should not have any antisceptic fluids or ointments either.

You can have antiseptic wipes with written/signed permission to use them, from parents.

HelenJC
30-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Hi

Can you tell me when the green box rule came in. 3 years ago we were all lucky enough to have our first aid course paid for and were given a complete "Chilminder Outfit" first aid kit which was orange.

I have done another course just before Christmas and no mention was made of the colour of the box - just needed to make sure all items were in date.

Helen

HelenJC
30-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Hi, me again

Just read post about items out of date - you could use them for the children to play with - older children could actually learn how to dress a wound properly.

It's good to turn a negative into a positive - I just hate wasting anything!

Helen

rickysmiths
30-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Hi

Can you tell me when the green box rule came in. 3 years ago we were all lucky enough to have our first aid course paid for and were given a complete "Chilminder Outfit" first aid kit which was orange.

I have done another course just before Christmas and no mention was made of the colour of the box - just needed to make sure all items were in date.

Helen

Approx 1981!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: All our First Aid Boxes in work places and stretcher points on stations etc were changed in this year, they had previously been Red and White, to fall in line with European standards. So even before I became a cm. I was working as a Catering Manager and have never known anything other than Green Boxes with White Crosses on.

rickysmiths
30-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Hi, me again

Just read post about items out of date - you could use them for the children to play with - older children could actually learn how to dress a wound properly.

It's good to turn a negative into a positive - I just hate wasting anything!

Helen

I give a lot of mine to the local Scout Group.

Jules12Wed
30-01-2009, 05:05 PM
What a good idea didn't think about using my outdated stuff for the kids to play with.

Pauline
30-01-2009, 05:51 PM
What a good idea didn't think about using my outdated stuff for the kids to play with.

Don't forget your risk assessment to ensure they don't throttle themselves or each other! :laughing:

donnadoo2004200
30-01-2009, 06:24 PM
I have just received a new one ordered from the childminding shop on-line and it is red with a white cross on it saying first aid also in white. I dont really know if there is a right or wrong colour. Does anyone know?

Polka Dots
30-01-2009, 07:29 PM
I was told last Saturday by the St John Ambulance representative for childminding purposes it doesn't matter what colour box it is, be it green, red, biscuit tin whatever. As long as it can be identified as the first aid box, label with a cross on it.