PDA

View Full Version : Minding a family member

Joannechildmind
27-01-2009, 06:04 PM
I am starting to mind my 11 yr old cousin 3 days a week after school :) , at the moment he is being dropped off by my aunt but in a few weeks he will get the bus here.
Would i need to get permission for this still?
Also does he still need to fill in the same forms as with the others?
And last question i do a school run and he will be waitng for around 15 mins, my dp will be here most of the time so he could come in and wait for me.
Would OFSTED approve?

Jo

heth480
27-01-2009, 06:38 PM
i DONT THINK OVER 8S COUNT IN CHILDMINDING NUMBERS.sO I DONT THINK THEY NEED TO KNOW ABOUT IT AND ALSO IF ITS A FAMILY MEMBER AND THE MUMS HAPPY WITH THE SITUATION.THEN I DONT THINK YOU NEED TO WORRY:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

madasahatter
27-01-2009, 09:29 PM
You could always ask ofsted what they would expect you to have. As Heth480 says he's family, as is your DP, and he's over 8.
Having said that I mind my niece, and both me and my sister decided that as she would be claiming the childcare part of the tax credits to do all the paperwork as if she wasn't related including all contracts, permission slips etc etc

sarah707
27-01-2009, 09:40 PM
If you are accepting money for the care of a child, then you must be able to show relevant paperwork regardless of the age of the child. It is illegal if it does not go through your books.

Also if his mum wants to claim tax credits, you need to have everything properly in place.

As he is over 5, you must follow the requirements of the childcare register which goes up to age 18 (as opposed to the Eyfs). There are some different requirements on there, especially with regard to complaints, leaving children with assistants and your qualifications.

Even if he is family, if you want to be insured for your care of him, then you need to complete a contract, permissions and agreements (relevant to his age of course, probably including use of computer and electronic games, behaviour around little ones, not eating you out of house and home, asking before putting on tv etc) and permission to travel independently to your house (including not straying from the path, ringing if late, informing you about detentions & clubs etc).

Hth :D

Joannechildmind
28-01-2009, 10:13 AM
ok thanks alot everyone for your posts.

Jo