PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with paperwork

Joannechildmind
26-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi,

How do you all manage to do your job and do the paperwork side of it i spend 3 hours yes 3 hours :eek: trying to fill in a daily diary everytime i sat down to do something i had to sort something else out.
Also planning i try to do it on a sunday, what about the eriting of obs and learnign journeys ? i dont have time at the end of the day once i have tidyed up my own daughter needs me.

It would be great to hear How to do all cope with it all?

Jo

meggamee
26-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi, i totally understand where your coming from. I work 11hrs a day as a childminder, i am also a single parent of 2 boys.
Once i finish work at 6.30pm my own children need me and want attention as they dont get a lot of it while i am working!
I have meals to cook, homework to see to, then low and behold its bedtime!
I honestly dont know how i am going to cope with the paperwork either.
Its nice to see someone out there who thinks the same as me lol.
Take care
Sharon xx:D :rolleyes:

barbarella68
26-01-2009, 05:34 PM
I don't I am just like you and to be honest everyday I wonder if I am in the right job.It's a constant tidy up this tidy up that and I just don't have time.My house is a tip,my quality of life has gone down,and I am sure my son is suffering.So the answer to your question is I don't cope.:(

sarah707
26-01-2009, 06:03 PM
If you do nothing, you will get inadequate...

If you do something you will get satisfactory...

If you do more you will get good...

What you must not do is to let it take over your life with worrying to the point where you don't want to do the job.

You came into childminding for a reason and if that reason is still there, then work out how you can minimise what you do to still meet the requirements.

Daily diaries do not need to be essays, they can be notes or bullet points...

Learning journeys do not need to be hugely long and complicated... a photo, a few words saying what was happening, a link to the Eyfs and some thoughts on next steps planning...

Your planning does not have to be complicated either... a few words about what you want to do and how it went afterwards.

You should be able to do most of it while the children are playing nicely together or if you are very lucky while they are asleep.

If you put systems in place for updating the main stuff like risk assessments, policies and procedures... the rest really should not take so long or you are doing too much.

As for the tidying... try to look at it as children's work in progress. At the end of each day, put on some music and get them to help you. Until then, so long as the floor is safe, leave them to it... and if it gets dangerous, on goes the music and you all join in with a dance at the end as a reward.

Bring back the fun and enjoyment into what you do and remind yourself why you are fab at your job :D

Happy Feet
26-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Your reply is really reassuring sarah....I haven't started minding yet but already i'm feeling overwhelmed by everything that is required! I have decided to use the next months that it will take to get registered to complete everything needed in bite sized chunks so I can deal with it all...and hopefully by the time I start I will be organised enough to get all the paperwork done with minimum stress!!!

Trouble
26-01-2009, 07:39 PM

What you must not do is to let it take over your life with worrying to the point where you don't want to do the job.

You came into childminding for a reason and if that reason is still there, then work out how you can minimise what you do to still meet the requirements.

Learning journeys do not need to be hugely long and complicated... a photo, a few words saying what was happening, a link to the Eyfs and some thoughts on next steps planning...

Your planning does not have to be complicated either... a few words about what you want to do and how it went afterwards.

You should be able to do most of it while the children are playing nicely together or if you are very lucky while they are asleep.

If you put systems in place for updating the main stuff like risk assessments, policies and procedures... the rest really should not take so long or you are doing too much.

As for the tidying... try to look at it as children's work in progress. At the end of each day, put on some music and get them to help you. Until then, so long as the floor is safe, leave them to it... and if it gets dangerous, on goes the music and you all join in with a dance at the end as a reward.

Bring back the fun and enjoyment into what you do and remind yourself why you are fab at your job :D

sarah is right and knows what shes talking about:thumbsup:

Joannechildmind
26-01-2009, 07:45 PM
We just need to be organised like you Sarah:idea: , bth im still getting my head around all the EYFS so i understand that until i really know what im doing then its going to take longer.

Meggame 11hours :eek: i did this last year and it was hard work. (until the end of the month wehn i got paid :clapping: made it all worth while)

We can only do our best!! :thumbsup:

sarah707
26-01-2009, 07:48 PM
We can only do our best!! :thumbsup:

absolutely! :clapping:

Joannechildmind
26-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks alot Sarah i really appreiciate your comments you have made me look at it all very differently.

Thanks alot.:)

I am going to s*d the paperwork and have a nice glass of white wine now.:D

Jo

jeanybeany
26-01-2009, 08:17 PM

Well said Sarah!

I am just attempting to get on top of all the paperwork and am slowly beginning to feel much better about it all. I have a plan of action and just need to feel organised. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Yes, family are perhaps not having all my time at mo, but once it's sorted and updating plans in tow all will be better.:clapping:

breezy
26-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I just do what I can when I can, sometimes it works alot better than others, but I try not to panic, I do enough!