PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted Inspection - disaster!

meggamee
26-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi all,

I need help and fast please.
Had my inspection on Friday. I really pushed the boat out and had everything spick and span. I knew my paperwork side would let me down a little as i havent had my EYFS pack very long and was a little confused with it all.
She arrived and all went well, she said the love, care and attention i gave the children was brilliant. She could see the children were happy and settled here. My safety check was good too, so i thought i was on to a good start there!
She was thrilled with a couple of letters from parents explaining how happy they were with my services.
Now came the down side - paperwork!
She started with my contracts and info forms, all policies were good, but needed a little more attention but not much.
Then came the EYFS pack....... she put me down so much on this i cried! i explained i hadnt had it long, was going on a course early February to help me with it....... that didnt matter one bit!
I got an Inadequate grade!
I am so upset about this as i thought the main priority is the happiness and safety of the children. Obviously not! Paperwork comes first!

Can anyone give me some examples as to what i am supposed to be doing as far as assessments etc. She said i do it every day just dont write it down.

I would appreciate as much help as anyone can give me please as she is coming back in 6 to 12 months for another inspection.

Thank you xx

sarah707
26-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Oh I'm so sorry that happened to you!

It is about the care of the children... but with the Eyfs it is now a legal requirement to write things down.

Ok, so the first thing you need is a book for each child... a scrap book or loose leaf, whichever you prefer.

Header page - child's name and age, a nice photo...

Next pages - make a note of what the child is doing / what the child enjoys / what the child says / how the child acts etc.

You could back this up with photos or things the child has drawn / made etc.

Link this note you have made to the Eyfs ages and stages information at the back of the statutory requirements. Use the right age information for the child - they all overlap so choose the one most relevant.

THEN use what you have seen to decide what kinds of activities the child will enjoy next. It's what you do already, just write it down!!

It's an ongoing thing, every week try and write up a little bit more about each child. It will build into a really nice booklet of evidence that the child can take home when he leaves.

Don't forget to get comments from the child, parents and other places the child goes (if relevant) and put those in the book too.

Keep it simple... it's not about writing an essay. Keep it relevant to the child... it's not about waffling on.

There are lots of places to look for more ideas... here's a good place to start.

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/eyfs/site/3/1.htm

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/eyfs/resources/downloads/planningfrombirth.pdf

Hth :D

meggamee
26-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Thank you so much for you help.
Its all just a matter of simplicity, i was totally confused with the pack.
I will do as you say, and also check the websites out for more info.
Once again thank you and its nice to have someone to talk to :D
Sharon xx

Saranotts
26-01-2009, 02:12 PM
So sorry this has happened to you, I can't really add anymore to the advice Sarah has given as she is the best, but I do want to say don't become disheartened. Once you have got into the swing of it you will find it is quite useful and also can be fun and the main thing is the children and their parents already know you are good and that the children are happy and that is the most important thing.

So keep smiling.

Sara

meggamee
26-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks Sara

It's just disheartening that i got the inadequate, because she did say i know you can do it and i have every confidence in you and mayb when i come back you will hit the good or even outstanding.. that's why i thought the inadequate was a little harsh. I thought a satisfactory was a better outcome but underline the fact i need to work on the paperwork side of things.
Never mind, i am looking positive now, rather than disillusioned!
I will get stuck in and prove i can do it.

Thanks again

Sharon xx

Spangles
26-01-2009, 02:25 PM
What a horrible thing to have happened when you were doing so well, you must be so disappointed.

Don't worry, if you follow Sarah's advice you will be doing great next time you see your inspector.

Good luck.

x

crazybones
26-01-2009, 05:25 PM
I am sorry you had a horrible grading but you have come to the right place for loads of support, ideas and help. Sarah's advice will be spot on. Hopefully your training will help but if you get stuck just give a shout and you will get plenty of help from here. Most importantly she was pleased with the care you gave the children and should show that in your report. xx

miffy
26-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Sorry you've had such a rough time over this.

Just remember your "parents" are happy with the care you give their children and that is the most important thing.

Not everyone is good at getting things down on paper but they can be fantastic childminders.

There is lots of information on the forum to help you, Sarah707 has written e-books you can buy to help you and there are lots of other books about the EYFS (The Practical EYFS Handbook by Penny Tassoni is just one that some members have found really useful)

Whatever questions you have there will always be someone here to help.

Miffy xx

Twinkles
26-01-2009, 06:20 PM
She probably gave you an inadequate to give you a chance to get the paperwork in order. I may be wrong but as far as i know if she gave you a satisfactory they wouldn't inspect again for three years.

Still very harsh for you though. Don't let it knock your confidence you know the children are happy, well cared for and safe.

Now just see this as an opportunity to knock their socks off with all the paperwork you'll have next time they come.

You will find the answer to all your questions here and there's always someone to listen even if you just want to sound off.

Lots of luck and remember you are a good minder now you just have to prove it to ofsted.

childmind04
26-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Sorry to hear this, but like others have said do what Sarah has said and then when you have your training behind you things should have a better outcome next time, and at least you get chance to put it right earlier than 3 years to wait :)

breezy
26-01-2009, 09:35 PM
follow Sarahs advice, just sending hugs

Helen Dempster
27-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks Sara

It's just disheartening that i got the inadequate, because she did say i know you can do it and i have every confidence in you and mayb when i come back you will hit the good or even outstanding.. that's why i thought the inadequate was a little harsh. I thought a satisfactory was a better outcome but underline the fact i need to work on the paperwork side of things.
Never mind, i am looking positive now, rather than disillusioned!
I will get stuck in and prove i can do it.

Thanks again

Sharon xx

Oh god that's horrible! I'm really worried about my own inspection - I didn't think anyone got an inadequate and that seems really harsh with what you've said! But, YOU CAN DO IT GIRL!!!! When she's been next time and given you the grade you deserve, you come back on here and let everyone know - in BIG CAPITAL LETTERS! Ok?

xx

sue m
27-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Aww, Sharon, that's awful, I really feel for you. As everyone says, take Sarah's advice. It's a bit of a mare this paperwork stuff, I think it is anyway, it confuses me and I've been doing it longer than you. I feel she was really unfair and hard on you. Hope you've cheered up now. Miserable old devil she was!!! :thumbsup:

misst104
27-01-2009, 08:43 PM
How Awful for you and unfair to boot by the sounds of it. I totally agree with all thats been said here and have nothing more to add but really wanted to send a big hug and say CHIN UP!

jo x x x :)

misst104
27-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Aww, Sharon, that's awful, I really feel for you. As everyone says, take Sarah's advice. It's a bit of a mare this paperwork stuff, I think it is anyway, it confuses me and I've been doing it longer than you. I feel she was really unfair and hard on you. Hope you've cheered up now. Miserable old devil she was!!! :thumbsup:

I agree. Sounds like one of the tough ones. It would seem to me from reading many of the threads here that its a complete lottery as to who you get for inspection and how they grade. Ofsted need to get themselves sorted out and put in place some standards to follow. Whose inspecting the inspectors!!!!! :angry:

Sorry, got a bit cross there for a mo :o

meggamee
28-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Thank you everyone for all your replies. It has helped me come to terms with it. To be honest i had contemplated packing my job in but when i have people like you here to encourage me i feel a lot happier.
Just been asked to look after a 6month old baby full time! Just shows me that i am a good childminder no matter what my grade was!
I will keep you all informed and take your advice and hopefully will get there!
Thanks again EVERYONE!

Sharon xx :thumbsup: :D

patevans
28-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Thank you everyone for all your replies. It has helped me come to terms with it. To be honest i had contemplated packing my job in but when i have people like you here to encourage me i feel a lot happier.
Just been asked to look after a 6month old baby full time! Just shows me that i am a good childminder no matter what my grade was!
I will keep you all informed and take your advice and hopefully will get there!
Thanks again EVERYONE!

Sharon xx :thumbsup: :D

I also had a horrid inspection last week, I had absolutely everything covered paperwork wise and basically she didnt give a :censored: I am stilll very furious as the things she put me down for were pathetic in mu opinion. I have been in a foul mood since and cant shift it :angry:

meggamee
28-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi Louise
i can sympathise totally. its just not fair.
i am sure there is a complaints procedure for us too, we have to have them!
anyway, chin up and hope the mood changes soon for you.
we all know we do a damn good job here.... don't let it get you down.
if i can pull myself back up i am sure you can :thumbsup:

Sharon xx

childmind04
28-01-2009, 04:21 PM
I am so glad your not going to give up Sharon, like the inspector said you have the care bit perfect and thats what is important :)

LisaMarie
28-01-2009, 11:01 PM
oh no! stoopid OFSTED. just sending big hugs

beerheaven
28-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Sending you lots of hugs. I reallly feel for you, especially after all the hard work you obviously have done.

On the positive side, the inspector sounded very happy with everything else. I'm positive that once you find a system of planning/observing/evaluating that suits you then you will fly through your next inspection!

Don't give up....you CAN do it!

At the end of the day you are providing a service. If you are busy, with happy children and parents then you are a success!!

Chatterbox Childcare
28-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Ladies don't forget that there is an appeala process and what one inspector doesn't like the next one might. Don't be afraid to challenge Ofsted if you feel there is a case to be heard.

I was a bit concerned about the fact that you showed her your contracts. She has no right to see them and I hope she didn't ask too. This is reportable too.

Chin up and I am sure when she comes back you will jump at least 1 grade

Bananabrain
30-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Oh you poor love,you sound like a lovely person. I think that was being really mean. I really think that the grading system is completely unfair and it's about time they changed it.

And also,it wouldn't be so bad if all inspectors worked from the same page,I've been told so many times that it depends who you get, what mood they're in and that different ones pick you up on different things. I really think it needs changing. What do you guys think?

Chin up me darlin' don't let the wotsits grind you down.

sarah707
30-01-2009, 10:51 AM
And also,it wouldn't be so bad if all inspectors worked from the same page,I've been told so many times that it depends who you get, what mood they're in and that different ones pick you up on different things. I really think it needs changing. What do you guys think?

I don't think you'll find anyone on here disagreeing with you on that one! :D

tammerisk
01-02-2009, 03:24 PM
do ypu have a develpoment worker she should be able to help and actually show you a learning journal or child scrap book and what exactly ofsted are looking for. when i know thta ofsted were comeing to me i rang mine and asked her to come round and make sure i had all my paper work up to date and correct she even had a cheack list relating to the statatury frame work that is the legal requirement we have to work to. when i told the ofsted lady this she said that was good and that is what they get paid to do.

HelenJC
01-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Hi

Poor you. The only way is up!!

I chalenged my Inspector. She said I had outstanding in all but my medical records. This was because I had a Personal Medical Plan for a child who suffered with Asthma and needed to use an inhaler as and when required. The plan said you could not overdose on the reliever and that I was given permission to administer it as necessary. Inspector asked if the child held the inhaler or me. Child was 1 at the time so obviously it was me. She said I must telephone mum before administering medication. I said child could end up in a bad way if I waited to speak to mum first - she was a teacher, so not at the end of a phone.

I told the inespector she was being harsh as I had everything in place. She said maybe she was but that was it. I asked for the complaints procedure there and then. She asked why and I said I was going to appeal. She then said she would talk to her superior and get back to me. After about an hour she called back and said she was being harsh and my grade was outstanding.

I could easily have accepted what she said but felt it was an injustice.

Glad I stood up for myself. I don't think we do it often enough!!

Helen

PixiesDen
01-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Adding my voice to the sympathy from others....a harsh experience especially in light of your brilliant rapport with the children and parents.

The crunch is this: the EYFS is a legal requirement( has been since September 2008) , just like safety equipment, attendance logs etc. And that is why you were judged inadequate, you are falling below the law in this area. But the up side is it is easily remedied...get the paperwork and you will be allowed to shine, your inspectoar has said as much....she obvo=iously does not think you truly inadequate or you would be receiving a visit much sooner than months, and she is allowing you to continue trading so you are not really inadequate are you?
DO you have a Childcare coordinator, or development officer, ask them to come and see you and help you get sorted. Group training is one thing but sometimes a one to one over a cup of tea is all that it takes.

Good luck.

meggamee
02-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi all and thanks for the replies.

i am going to a sure start meeting this week and they are hopefully going through the requirements. I dont have anyone i can ring for help as in a development officer or such. so hopefully surestart will help. i have also been in touch with the reception teacher at the school where one of my mindies goes and she is willing to help.
i feel more confident every day and have made a start!
as far as the inadequate, i totally agree that she must not think i am "inadequate" from her comments. everything was spot on and she couldnt fault me apart from this paperwork.
thanks again and i will keep you informed :D :thumbsup:

sharon xx

misst104
02-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Hi

Poor you. The only way is up!!

I chalenged my Inspector. She said I had outstanding in all but my medical records. This was because I had a Personal Medical Plan for a child who suffered with Asthma and needed to use an inhaler as and when required. The plan said you could not overdose on the reliever and that I was given permission to administer it as necessary. Inspector asked if the child held the inhaler or me. Child was 1 at the time so obviously it was me. She said I must telephone mum before administering medication. I said child could end up in a bad way if I waited to speak to mum first - she was a teacher, so not at the end of a phone.

I told the inespector she was being harsh as I had everything in place. She said maybe she was but that was it. I asked for the complaints procedure there and then. She asked why and I said I was going to appeal. She then said she would talk to her superior and get back to me. After about an hour she called back and said she was being harsh and my grade was outstanding.

I could easily have accepted what she said but felt it was an injustice.

Glad I stood up for myself. I don't think we do it often enough!!

Helen

Blimey, I bet you gave her a shock. GOOD FOR YOU!! I imagine she had rarely been challenged in the past and it just goes to show if you believe what is said is unfair and act upon it, you may be able to change the outcome.

WELL DONE! :clapping:

jo x x x :)

Allie
03-02-2009, 07:57 PM
You are not alone this has happened to some of my friends follow Sarah's advice and next time the grade will be higher

Allie

huggableshelly
04-02-2009, 01:20 PM
wow sorry to read about your inspection.

it is sad to see some inspectors think paperwork is more important.

I was due my inspection in sept 08 or so i thought which I was hoping to get away with saying yes I've made a start with EYFS but still learning about it. now its Feb and no inspection meaning I cant sue the excuse that its all new to me as I've had 4 months to get to grips with it.

i actually think I've been forgotten about which isnt good but I'm now working on getting my act together with the OU course too ( if I stop reading in here and concerntrate more on my suff that is).

Thankyou Sarah for the tips too I have some in action but need to do more.

Tups
08-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Ladies don't forget that there is an appeala process and what one inspector doesn't like the next one might. Don't be afraid to challenge Ofsted if you feel there is a case to be heard.

I was a bit concerned about the fact that you showed her your contracts. She has no right to see them and I hope she didn't ask too. This is reportable too.

Chin up and I am sure when she comes back you will jump at least 1 grade
hI Debbie ofsted always want to see my contracts when they come Annmmac:) x

patevans
08-03-2009, 05:13 PM
hI Debbie ofsted always want to see my contracts when they come Annmmac:) x

My inspector looked at my contracts too!!

tinkerbelle
08-03-2009, 05:48 PM
My inspector looked at my contracts too!!

mine too its to check the hours you have children contracted for or so i thought

Shar
08-03-2009, 06:15 PM
I feel so upset for you Sharon. Take Sarah's advice and show Ofsted what you are capable of next time they come.:thumbsup:

JOANNE
08-03-2009, 07:09 PM
As far as i see it, i think she was totally harsh there with you,to judge you "inadequate" is disgraceful,if she could see the children are happy with you and so are the parents, then i think you deserved a better grade than that,i would be devastated too if i got that(we`ll see tomorrow,my inspection is noon HIGH NOON!!!)
My sympathies to you x