PDA

View Full Version : what register do you use?

andreaschildcare
20-01-2009, 07:57 PM
I have a fab one from ebay but it doesnt have a space for parents to sign which concerns me a little.

can anyone recommend any good ones please?

FizzysFriends
20-01-2009, 08:01 PM
I use the NCMA one although when its all used up I will be making my own.

miffy
20-01-2009, 08:08 PM
I make my own :)

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
20-01-2009, 10:10 PM
I don't get parents to sign so no need for one

Angela234
20-01-2009, 10:17 PM
I just use a day by day diary my parents don't sign it.

I used to get them to sign it when i started minding but i hd to keep chasing them so gave up

Angela

marian
20-01-2009, 10:19 PM
I use the NCMA one until it has finished and then I too will use my own.
I don't get the parents to sign either

Marian x

rickysmiths
20-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Hi folks I am a bit shocked that so few of you either dont use a register or if you do you dont get it signed.

I have used one for 14yrs, the NCMA one and have always got my parents to sign. In fact if I foget they ask me!

It is very much regarded as a Safeguarding Children tool now. It records the actual hours that a child is with you and because the parent signs it each week they are confirming that. So if ever there was an issue you can prove exactly when or not a child has been in your care.

Also if you are a membeer of NCMA and you ever have an issue that you want the legal team to follow up for you, the first thing they will ask you for copies of is your signed register in respect of that child. If you dont have them along with an NCMA contrat they will not represent you.

Come on people this is surely a safeguard for you as well.

OFSTED have always asked to see mine at inspections, 4 now, so how come you all get away without one?

louised
21-01-2009, 08:08 AM
I also use my own but parents don't sign it as the others have said it's just too hard chasing them up to sign it. I used to use the NCMA one but when i used it up I decided to make my own without a space for parents to sign, I haven't been inspected since i've started using my own so I don't know what Ofsteds view is.

sarah707
21-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Like Ricky I always get parents to sign... even if it means asking them to make the trip up my path from their nice warm cars once a month. I just tell them that's what they have to do!

I also make sure where possible that they watch me filling it in - or if the children are older that they know it's happening every session. It's just not worth the risk if something goes wrong. :panic:

I use my own design which has child's name, date of birth, space for in and out times (MUST be exact to the minute) and space for me and the parents to sign. Since I work with another childminder sometimes, I also have a section to state who is the child's key person.

rickysmiths
21-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Hi Sarah. I'm gald I'm not he only one. It really surprises me seeing in a number of threads since I have been using the forum the number of people who dont use registers. The most surprising is amoung the newly registered cms.

Debster
21-01-2009, 09:55 AM
I am currently doing my DHC 1 and have been told we must have a signed register. Reasons for this are health and safety if there is a fire for example you have a record of who is there. If you charge hourly you have it in black and white in and out times so there is no arguments about fees a parent that is 5-10 mins late a day will add up to hrs of loss of earnings over the weeks. Also the records need to be kept for 21yrs. I was told on my first aid course that If a child had a accident in your care they could sue you years later (unlikely I know) you have the proof whether they were in your care at that time or not. I got my attendence record for a entire yr from MM for just £4.00 they are easy to use and can be copied so you only need to purchase them once.:D

Jelly Baby
21-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Was interested to see this as i have been minding for nearly 4 years and have not once had it signed. At my last inspection i got picked up as i had missed one child off from that day (typical)..i have been vigilant ever since!BUT my argument is when i sign them in that's my record of them with me and when they are signed out they are not, so for fire regs etc it shouldn't matter if they are signed by parents should it? the only issue i can see is if the parent argues the bill which i have never had..am i missing something?

rickysmiths
21-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Was interested to see this as i have been minding for nearly 4 years and have not once had it signed. At my last inspection i got picked up as i had missed one child off from that day (typical)..i have been vigilant ever since!BUT my argument is when i sign them in that's my record of them with me and when they are signed out they are not, so for fire regs etc it shouldn't matter if they are signed by parents should it? the only issue i can see is if the parent argues the bill which i have never had..am i missing something?

You are quite right about you signing them in in terms of knowing who is with you if there is a fire.

The one that bothers me a bit is the lack of general understanding, not just you but people on the forum generally, that the register is also a VERY IMPORTANT Safeguarding Children tool. By recording when the children leave TO THE MINUITE and having it signed by the parent each week you are confirmining EXACTLY when the child has been in your care. If ever they was a claim or dispute you have a record. The fact that you have never had a dispute or insident doesnt mean there might not be one in the future.

It is very good practice to keep a signed reister and my parents have been signing mine for 14yrs with no complaints. Its a habbit you should get into. I keep my register on the table opposite the front door and most often my parents ask to sign it.

balloon
21-01-2009, 04:44 PM
I use the DCMA register (Devon childminding ass.) bit there is no space for parents to sign so what am I supposed to do? All children are on the same page so I cannot ask them to sign the bottom of the page cos it breaches confidentiality. They do have to sign my earnings sheet in the same book though.

Anybody else use the DCMA one, what do they do?

Ripeberry
21-01-2009, 04:49 PM
You REALLY need to get parents to sign the register and the times must be when they arrive NOT when they should arrive or even leave.
I'm just telling everyone as our pre-school's Chairman was down as the "suitable person" for the setting and one of the things they picked up on and were VERY stern with was the signing in register as some parents had signed in and NOT signed out.
Yes logicaly you know the child was picked up and is safe but Ofsted need to know this and as we all know paperwork is their fav! :rolleyes: But i do see their point.
My two daughters went to a childminder up until a couple of years ago and at the end of each month she got me to sit down and sign all the bits i had missed when collecting my children.
I had to sort out the register at the pre-school last week and it took AGES, Ofsted need it to be signed...as a committee member i was able to sign, but i'm not sure if childminders can sign for the parents?
Maybe put the register right by the door and use it to clock in and out like they do in a factory :laughing:

sarah707
21-01-2009, 05:59 PM
I use the DCMA register (Devon childminding ass.) bit there is no space for parents to sign so what am I supposed to do? All children are on the same page so I cannot ask them to sign the bottom of the page cos it breaches confidentiality. They do have to sign my earnings sheet in the same book though.

Anybody else use the DCMA one, what do they do?

Each child must have their own page, just like each child has their own contract etc.

It's a confidentiality issue.

For example, if you are writing an accident report you must put... 'J bumped heads with another child'... or 'K and another child were involved in an argument and K was kicked'...

No point if parents can look at your register and see at a glance who else was in the house at the time.

Ok yes I know the child will tell parents, but that's not the point.

You are breaking confidentiality by letting parents see the information about the other family.

Hope that clarifies :D

madasahatter
21-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Sorry I have to disagree with some of the posts. You don't NEED to get the parents to sign your register. Ofsted really don't mind, all they want is a record of when each child attends, however you do it. There is no wrong or right answer.
I would however agree that it could be deemed good practice to get parents to sign the register.
I have used my own register for many years (and don't get parents to sign), from the annual social services inspections right through to ofsted and whilst it has been looked at, they have never made any comment except that it is acceptable. I hated the NCMA's register with each child on a seperate page it was too much faffing about, so mine is in a weekly table form and has all the minded children on it. It doubles as a fire evacuation list.
I can't even see what the issue is with confidentiality. There are no personal details on my register other than the child's name and everyone attending my household knows that.
This looks like it could generate some hot discussion:thumbsup:

Chrissy B
21-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Just about to start my ICP course and at my briefing meetings we was told by our early years co ordinator that we have to have a register and have it signed every time otherwise we're not covered.

rickysmiths
21-01-2009, 09:59 PM
It looks like this one is going to run. Just be very aware if you are a member of NCMA and you ever need to use their free legal services. They WILL ask you for a SIGNED copy of your register with regard to that chlid and signed by the PARENT as well. This is one reason why each child has to have their own page.:(

If you have a fees dispute you will HAVE to produce this document along with a copy of the contract.

I have never had a p[roblem with parents signing. Just keep it on a table by the door.

Carol
21-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Hi folks I am a bit shocked that so few of you either dont use a register or if you do you dont get it signed.

I have used one for 14yrs, the NCMA one and have always got my parents to sign. In fact if I foget they ask me!

It is very much regarded as a Safeguarding Children tool now. It records the actual hours that a child is with you and because the parent signs it each week they are confirming that. So if ever there was an issue you can prove exactly when or not a child has been in your care.

Also if you are a membeer of NCMA and you ever have an issue that you want the legal team to follow up for you, the first thing they will ask you for copies of is your signed register in respect of that child. If you dont have them along with an NCMA contrat they will not represent you.

OFSTED have always asked to see mine at inspections, 4 now, so how come you all get away without one?

You have opened my eyes as to why we need to get parents to sign the register. Will start now many many thanks

Glad for all your advice

Carol xxxxx

rickysmiths
21-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Carol thank you for your post. I'm glad mine was of interest to you. I have learnt so much be being part of this forum it is good to give.:clapping: :laughing:

childmind04
21-01-2009, 11:36 PM
We have an extra incentive because if we loose a child we are currently able to claim a grant after a certain length of time that the space is free BUT you can only get it if you have everything signed by parents :)

I have always got mine signed as good practice

mrs c
30-01-2009, 09:20 PM
So if parents sign the daily diary which states the arrival and departure times, do they also have to sign a separate attendance record which totals up the number of hours worked?

Chatterbox Childcare
30-01-2009, 09:27 PM

The NCMA books were being signed because of the fee received. I invoice and get paid by BACS so no need.

Ofsted have done 4 inspections now and have never queried why they are not signed and have been happy with my explanation as to why not.

I have claimed through NCMA before and they have never asked for my time sheets.

Chatterbox Childcare
30-01-2009, 09:29 PM
You are quite right about you signing them in in terms of knowing who is with you if there is a fire.

The one that bothers me a bit is the lack of general understanding, not just you but people on the forum generally, that the register is also a VERY IMPORTANT Safeguarding Children tool. By recording when the children leave TO THE MINUITE and having it signed by the parent each week you are confirmining EXACTLY when the child has been in your care. If ever they was a claim or dispute you have a record. The fact that you have never had a dispute or insident doesnt mean there might not be one in the future.

It is very good practice to keep a signed reister and my parents have been signing mine for 14yrs with no complaints. Its a habbit you should get into. I keep my register on the table opposite the front door and most often my parents ask to sign it.

I DO have a register, I designed it myself based on the NCMA and I DO record exact times in and out but I DO NOT have parents sign it.

HomefromHome
30-01-2009, 09:32 PM
am very shocked people arent getting parents to sign - you wont have a leg to stand on if there's a dispute! i thought this was an almost requirement - i tell all prospective parents that this is what i do. :eek:

HomefromHome
30-01-2009, 09:33 PM
The NCMA books were being signed because of the fee received. I invoice and get paid by BACS so no need.

Ofsted have done 4 inspections now and have never queried why they are not signed and have been happy with my explanation as to why not.

I have claimed through NCMA before and they have never asked for my time sheets.

mine sign the attendance register and the accounts book! once a month.:)

crazybones
30-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Must admit none of may parents have ever signed mine. Ofsted had never mentioned it.

Chatterbox Childcare
30-01-2009, 09:38 PM
mine sign the attendance register and the accounts book! once a month.:)

What have your accounts books got to do with the parents?

Why won't I have a leg to stand on. My contract is my contract and that is what is legally binding and there isn't anything in there as far as I know that states they must sign a register or anything relating to times.

Come to think of it, is there something written somewhere else I do not know about in the NCMA conditions of use?

HomefromHome
30-01-2009, 09:44 PM

Why won't I have a leg to stand on. My contract is my contract and that is what is legally binding and there isn't anything in there as far as I know that states they must sign a register or anything relating to times.

Come to think of it, is there something written somewhere else I do not know about in the NCMA conditions of use?

no, no i'm not having a go just thought it was common practice - the parents only sign their page each month on my accounts book - there's a space for them and me to sign (at the back)
the ncma attendance register does say to get parents and you to sign, but i just looked at the eyfs requirements and doesnt say they have to in there - just to record date and actual times.

its only the way i have been 'taught'!:)

miffy
30-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Must admit none of may parents have ever signed mine. Ofsted had never mentioned it.

Mine neither and again Ofsted have never queried it

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
30-01-2009, 09:50 PM
no, no i'm not having a go just thought it was common practice - the parents only sign their page each month on my accounts book - there's a space for them and me to sign (at the back)
the ncma attendance register does say to get parents and you to sign, but i just looked at the eyfs requirements and doesnt say they have to in there - just to record date and actual times.

its only the way i have been 'taught'!:)

Sorry didn't mean to be rude either - bad headache and need my bed

HomefromHome
30-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Sorry didn't mean to be rude either - bad headache and need my bed

no worries - didnt mean to offend anyone - we only know what we know!
hope you have a good nite's sleep!:D

rickysmiths
30-01-2009, 11:19 PM

The reason the parents sign their own page each month at the back of the NCMA account book is because in doing that they have signed to agree that this is the amount that they have paid you for the month.

If ever the Inland Revenue to an investigation on you and querry your income (and they have been known to do random checks). They did one on me one year because there rekconing of my income was not what I had declared. The signed account book saved the day because it proved that a parent who had claimed for help for childcare fees had accutally left me nearly a year before she stopped claiming.

A rare occurance I know but it is just habit now for all my parents to sign and no one has ever minded because they don't know any other way. Ofsted most certainly do not see this record as they don't see any of my finnancial stuff including my hourly rates, its none of their business. The only thing they are intitled to see is proof that we are registered with the tax people.

The register is nothing to do with your contract with the parent. It is purely a record of when the child is in your care and the parent signs each week to confirm that it is a true record. It is a Child protection safeguard because if something happened you could confirm when or not a child was in your care. Ofsted have always asked to see my register and were impressed and pleased that it was signed.

I see from the thread that other people do the same as me. At the end of the day it is your business to choose the way you do things. I dont want to or intend to cause any ill feeling. Its just something I have always done and I thought most people just did.

rickysmiths
30-01-2009, 11:31 PM
am very shocked people arent getting parents to sign - you wont have a leg to stand on if there's a dispute! i thought this was an almost requirement - i tell all prospective parents that this is what i do. :eek:

Don't worry you're not alone. I have always (14yrs) got my parents to sign my register. When NCMA started the current style of account book I asked my parents to sign their page. My parents don't know any other way like yours.

The only time I ever needed NCMA legal help they asked for a copy of my contract (they only wanted an NCMA one) and copies of the signed register in respect of the family concerned. It was a claim for unpaid fees and they would not do anything without the signed register because it was my proof of when the child had been with me. The parent had confirmed this by signing. They could not then claim, as they were trying, that they hadn't been with me for some weeks. I was very glad I had all the info.:)