PDA

View Full Version : CHINESE MONKEY POCKETS idea!

misst104
20-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Just another little idea for chinese new year. Sorry if its been suggested before but couldn't find it anywhere.

During new year celebrations, the chinese people like to give each other red money pockets ( like a little red envelope with a small sum of money in it ). its the custom called LAI SEE. It is thought that both giver and reciever will be blessed with good luck and fortune throughout the coming year. The envelope is red as this is a lucky colour in china and it is decorated with gold , again thought to be lucky.

When I worked in school we used red paper or card to make an envelope and then used cotton buds dipped in glue to decorate the envelope before covering in gold glitter. The older children tried to make the designs look like chinese writing and the little ones just went to town with any design!!

When they were dry we used to put a little golden chocolate coin in each before sending home (very popular with the kids ;) ).

Jo x x x

Andrea08
20-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Yes your right and it is a good activity BUT

please only give these to unmarried persons

my x-partner is chinese and said it was only for children and thoes who are not married to send love and good will like a lucky charm,

older ladies can gather quite a lot of "money" in her red pack for her
"bottom draw",,, men are also given the red pouch but not as much money is given ???

i learned a lot from my x-partner but this is a family forum and only just became green and want to stay :D

misst104
20-01-2009, 02:44 PM
OOOhhh , sounds like you have lots to tell :laughing:

x x x

Never realised that so thanks. Better let them know at school too to save any embarrassment hey ! :thumbsup:

crazybones
20-01-2009, 03:44 PM
I bought the chinese red envelopes from www.thechildmindingshop.co.uk

and the money I put in is chocolate :D

tracey36
20-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the link to the childminding shop, really good site iv just ordered some things for chinese new year,children will love them, thanks again

tracey

miffy
20-01-2009, 09:23 PM
We've made these before but I love the ones in the childminding shop

Miffy xx

Andrea08
20-01-2009, 09:35 PM
OOOhhh , sounds like you have lots to tell :laughing:

x x x

Never realised that so thanks. Better let them know at school too to save any embarrassment hey ! :thumbsup:

children in english schools do make them for parents and siblings but its only realy for thoes who are unmarried, my x- got some from his family and he was in his 30's lol took us out for a meal hehehe yes i do /did have quite a few stories to tell :blush: the chinese have very different ideas to the English
or was i just shy back then ? also there ideas of what women are are also very different, i wouldn't teach our children their way and ideas as it underminds women xx

angeldelight
20-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Great idea thank you

Angel xx

Monkey1
21-01-2009, 02:59 AM
I was getting excited then from the title!:rolleyes:

DudleyChildmind
21-01-2009, 06:05 AM
I was talking to the lady at our local Chinese restaurant the other night about these envelopes and she said what ever you put in the envelope they must be in pairs. So if you want to put 10p in your have to put 2 x 10p and not a 20p coin. If they are in pairs it beings good luck :)

marion123
21-01-2009, 08:44 AM
thanks for that i think i will do that with my mindees :)