PDA

View Full Version : Risk Assesments

LisaMarie
18-01-2009, 07:42 PM
the council provided me with a blank risk assesment on our briefing session, but I feel it is wat too long (20 pages :eek: ) so I have downloaded the BCMA one...soo much simplier and easy and shorter.

do i have to write in each box, or just ones with a risk :panic:

i have NO ideahow to fill it out :blush:

sarah707
18-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Errr.... I have a massive file of risk assessments.

One for each room, plus outside, plus the drive and path, plus every type of outing we go on (legal requirement to do this), plus the car and copies of car documents... plus bits and bobs of leaflets etc I've picked up as I go along.

I don't think 20 pages is too much! It sort of takes on a life of its own after a while :eek: :laughing:

marion123
18-01-2009, 07:55 PM
i also have a massive file of risk assessments

LisaMarie
18-01-2009, 08:01 PM
:( does anyone know where a sample filled in one looks like??i completly unsure what to do :panic:

or even just one field of theres so I have a rough idea what i'm doing

this was the bit im dreading

LisaMarie
18-01-2009, 08:05 PM
im thinking of buying Sarah risk assesment e-book i really no wanna do it. i have £4.93 in my paypal hmmm :idea:

cherry
18-01-2009, 08:07 PM
You'll find some on this site :thumbsup:

http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/eyfs/risk.html

jibberjitz
18-01-2009, 08:56 PM
You'll find some on this site :thumbsup:

http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/eyfs/risk.html

The Bromley site is quite useful but also considering buying Sarah's e-book as I dont know where to start:eek:

Liz

sarah707
18-01-2009, 09:13 PM
im thinking of buying Sarah risk assesment e-book i really no wanna do it. i have £4.93 in my paypal hmmm :idea:

It's a deal! :laughing:

misst104
18-01-2009, 10:16 PM
A friend of mine bought Sarahs e-book and says she couldn't have done RA without it. Will be putting in an order too once registered an sure :thumbsup:

Jo x x x

LisaMarie
19-01-2009, 12:06 AM
It's a deal! :laughing:

how much is your e-book sarah :blush:

simplyali
19-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Hi
I've am totally confused as to what OFSTED expect in the way of risk assesment.

Reading on here the NCMA ones don't seem to fit the bill, has anyone been inspected and told what is required?

I had risk assesments in place before they were mandatory, but cannot seem to find what the actual requirements are now.:(

I really wish we could be given more details I feel that there are hundreds of us out here all working on individual versions, hundreds of hours of unpaid time to meet some ephemeral criteria.

Also how are other minders factoring in their unpaid admin time with fee rates?

marian
19-01-2009, 12:39 PM
I have used the ones on the Bromley site as guides but as everyones setting is different then so will everyones RA ifyswim

Marian x

childmind04
19-01-2009, 02:39 PM
My inspector liked my RA's and said they were simple yet very effective as they were a working document that had to be used and understood :)

Sarahs books are all worth the small amount she charges for them :)

LisaMarie
19-01-2009, 04:22 PM
ive just bought Sarah's e-book, and childmind04 has sent me a copy of hers. so hopefully I can do this!!! have decided next year I will just be amending the ones I do now :laughing:

sarah707
19-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Thank you for the order! I have just sent it out :D

The main parts of the Eyfs about risk assessments are in the statutory requirements...

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/eyfs/site/requirements/welfare/premises/index.htm

Here for outings...

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/eyfs/site/requirements/welfare/safeguarding/index.htm

And in the guidance ... pages 20 & 21 and page 84; page 92 mentions children taking manageable risks in their play.

Hth :D

simplyali
20-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks I had read the DFES Standards, but they do not give guidance on the amount of detail required or how it should be presented.

The Bromley templates are very similar to what I had laid out so that's reassuring. I've booked a visit with someone from Early Years to chat about it.

I have found that over the years we have been asked to provide more and more paperwork, but not always been told exactly what information we are to provide. So everyone is effictively "inventing their own wheel", which I personally do not think is a good use of individual childminders time .

LisaMarie
21-01-2009, 10:35 PM
i just want to thank Sarah! I have only read the first 3 books, and have a made a list of the "risks" for downstairs :clapping:

thankyou sooo much

misst104
21-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks I had read the DFES Standards, but they do not give guidance on the amount of detail required or how it should be presented.

The Bromley templates are very similar to what I had laid out so that's reassuring. I've booked a visit with someone from Early Years to chat about it.

I have found that over the years we have been asked to provide more and more paperwork, but not always been told exactly what information we are to provide. So everyone is effictively "inventing their own wheel", which I personally do not think is a good use of individual childminders time .

It will be interesting to see what the early years team come up with. Let us know ;)

Jo x x x

smartie
21-01-2009, 10:43 PM
It sort of takes on a life of its own after a while :eek: :laughing:

LOL - I agree!!

HelenJC
21-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Hi

Don't know if I've been told correctly but if you go to a place such as, say, Chester Zoo, you can ask them for a copy of their risk assessment as well.

I'm going to give it a go as I visit quite often.

Helen

beerheaven
21-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Hi

Don't know if I've been told correctly but if you go to a place such as, say, Chester Zoo, you can ask them for a copy of their risk assessment as well.

I'm going to give it a go as I visit quite often.

Helen
You're quite right! I have downloaded a few from the web. Beware that some are massive!! :eek:

MDP
23-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Hi Sarah, I'm new to the forum and also at pre-reg stage. RA has completely freaked me out too. So I have opted to buy one of your e-books:laughing: I know it seems like the easy way out but for me this is going to help. So thanks.

You wouldn't have an Emergency Plan....do you? This is in case of an emergency to you or a child in your care, where you would call in a buddy. I have an idea but just want to see how its done 2properly"

Thanks

MDP x

Errr.... I have a massive file of risk assessments.

One for each room, plus outside, plus the drive and path, plus every type of outing we go on (legal requirement to do this), plus the car and copies of car documents... plus bits and bobs of leaflets etc I've picked up as I go along.

I don't think 20 pages is too much! It sort of takes on a life of its own after a while :eek: :laughing:

Happy Feet
24-01-2009, 09:14 PM
I've been looking through Sarah's e-books and mini books....there are several on my list to get!

Looks like Risk Assessments will be at the top of the list!

xx

LisaMarie
24-01-2009, 11:31 PM
I would highly recommend it!!! it has helped me LOTS!!!!

desiderata
27-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Have just found out about your e books Sarah and made my first order. I say that cos they well may be more. Just have to wait and see how i get on with this one first. Even tho I have been minding years getting my head round some of this paperwork is baffling. Thank you Sue x