PDA

View Full Version : car insurance, how much do you pay?

mandy moo
17-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Ok, so bearing in mind that until last april I was on my my husbands Traders insurance, so when I started minding I had to get my own... As I had NO no claims bonus I paid Swinton £798

Im 43 this year (august)
Driving 16YRS +, it makes me mad as b4 I had our kids, I had 7yrs no claims.
The fact although I was on DH's traders insurance with no claims doesnt count :mad:
I drive a td5 LR Discovery.
In april when I have to renew, will have just 1 years no claims of my own..
Last year diamond and sheilaswheel wouldnt take me, possible they will this year.

What does every one else pay and who with?
thanx for any replies
Mandy

aly
17-01-2009, 05:06 PM
:eek: thats na awful lot :O

I paid for my normal insurance which was about £150 [cant think now] in oct, but then yesterday needed to add business use obviouslywith starting childminding and only had to pay £25 for admin fee.

I would seriously check around. check moneysupermarket.com

sarah707
17-01-2009, 05:21 PM
I had this problem when I got divorced.

Even though I was the same person in the same car with the same driving record my insurance tripled :(

Once you get to 4 years no claims you can get more competitive deals.

Until then it's just a matter of shopping around. If you can afford it protect your no claims, so you're in a stronger position if somebody does something daft.

Noodles
17-01-2009, 05:37 PM
I got my last insurance through morton michel and got it much cheaper than anyone else was offering it so it may be worth giving them a ring :)

gegele
19-01-2009, 10:15 PM
I found my insurance through auto direct, they're like an insurance broker so they found you cheaper deals. sound daft but have you tried confused.com?
i was with diamond as my 1st insurance, evrytime i talked to them i ended uo having something to pay!!!!!!!!!!

good luck

nikim
27-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Ok, so bearing in mind that until last april I was on my my husbands Traders insurance, so when I started minding I had to get my own... As I had NO no claims bonus I paid Swinton £798

why did you have to get your own insurance? i have always been on my husbands ,(as a childminder and with buisness use) , for that very reason (the cost)

mandy moo
28-02-2009, 08:54 AM
why did you have to get your own insurance? i have always been on my husbands ,(as a childminder and with buisness use) , for that very reason (the cost)

Because I didnt know I could basically, and none of the insurance companies I rang (at least 1/2 a dozen) mentioned that I could do that!:(

rickysmiths
28-02-2009, 04:39 PM
When we only had one car we were advised to rotate the insurance between my hubby and I so we both built up our own no claims discount in our own rights.
We did this with the business insurance when I started minding as well.

It paid dividends when we eventually got two cars.

Chatterbox Childcare
11-03-2009, 11:53 PM
I have a toyota previa which is quite high up the insurance scale and pay about £400 per year.

singlewiththree
12-03-2009, 07:04 AM
I'm similar to you, I was on my husbands insurance for 7yrs but passed my test at 18. When he left I got my own and it was £658 for the picasso where he had been paying £300. I've had to downsize the car to cope and my dad paid it and I pay him monthly.

charleyfarley
12-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Mine needs renewing this month and I thought my £300 was expensive :panic: I shall be shopping around too.

Carol xx

HomefromHome
12-03-2009, 07:14 AM
too :censored: much!!!

had a prang nearly 2 yrs ago - no damage to my car (foot slipped off clutch at roundabout) but it doubled to £700:eek:

there have been loadsa probs too so will shop around in the summer! i'm with the one advertised in ncma's magazine - motor minder? as it was cheaper than others at the time. crap service though from the brokers and company they got for me.

waiting til june when i will have 2 yrs ncd on the cert and will change. :mad:

Doll123
18-03-2009, 09:42 AM
ok now i feel stupid.
I just ammended my online policy with Swift to add business use and my premium went up by 18p! surely this is wrong after reading all your comments!!

Katie xx

Chatterbox Childcare
18-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Churchill don't charge anything extra for Class 1 Business Use.

I have just insured a car in my husbands name as he has always had a company car and because he is a named driver on my car they gave him 20% (2 years) no claims bonus.

kiddywink
18-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Mine is with elephant.co.uk. these came up as one of the cheaper ones through confused.com. was just under £300.

FizzysFriends
19-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Im with Tesco, can't remember how much it is, didn't cost any extra to have business put on.

louloudi
01-04-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm with the Co-op before I was minding my premium was £270 (i drive a micra) plus I did it online through a cashback website and got £120 of that bacK:clapping:

I phoned to add business insurance at £28. good deal I thought. Im a tue believer that you don't know what kind of deal you've go until something goes wrong and you need to claim

Demonjill
01-04-2009, 08:57 PM
:clapping: our vw beetle is insured in my hubbys name and i am a named driver and i am also the main driver. we just renewed fully comp with swift £140 totally fab :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

paulapolly
07-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Im with privilege and mine was no extra cost to have it changed and my partner is the policy holder they just said they will update and put im a childminder on there computer:)

Paula

Louise_Oaktree
22-04-2009, 12:14 PM
I am with Direct Line as Hubby as main driver, then I am added on with business use. The didn't charge me any extra when I added business use and you can also build up your own no claims ;) We also have no claims protection :D

sparkibobs
23-04-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm same as above, Direct Line. Never had any problems with them
xx

Chatterbox Childcare
23-04-2009, 04:06 PM
I pay about £400 but that is for a Class G and the car is insured for £10000 with a £150 excess, that is with Churchill who do not charge extra for Class 1