PDA

View Full Version : Another Assistnat Question Sorry

Michelle M
16-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Me again being a pain sorry girls, right I have completed the CRB etc for taking on my next door neighbour as an assistant, now then I understand that if she goes self employed then I put it down as expenses, but if she doesnt want to go self employed then do I need to pay any extra insurances, NI etc, sorry if I am being thick here I am getting ina pickle with things.

:)

Update: Just phoned OFsted, NCMA and HM Revenue eventually got told if I am not paying my assistant more than £90 a week I dont have to register as self employed. So I am assuming I just put down karens wages as expenses, and do I have to pay the minimum wage if I am not registered as an employer?

NCMA said all I need is Employers Liability Certifcate £5 extra is that correct?

Oh my head is spinning

Andrea08
16-01-2009, 10:56 AM
so is my head over all this as i too want an assistant but its all changing,,

assistants need 1st Aid and also are not allowed to be left unsupervised with the children ?????????/ so whats the point if they carnt do say school pick up?

im asking my Network for a training information night on all the doo's n donts about this

Michelle M
16-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Assistants cannot be left with Early Years Children unless they have a First Aid Certificate, and no they cannot do School Run pickups, they are only allowed to assist you with Early Years Children. Thats what Ofsted told me, but I may hae misunderstood.

Pauline
16-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Assistants cannot be left with Early Years Children unless they have a First Aid Certificate, and no they cannot do School Run pickups, they are only allowed to assist you with Early Years Children. Thats what Ofsted told me, but I may hae misunderstood.

Hopefully it will all change back soon. We've been told by Ofsted to continue as normal until things are changed. But they will certainly need First Aid if having sole care. Plus possibly a level 2 qualification in the future.

See this thread where I tried to explain why there was the problem over what an assistant could and couldn't do under EYFS, due to the two registers:

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20933