PDA

View Full Version : Chertsey area

snowbunny
12-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Hi There,

Just another quick question....is there anyone in the Chertsey area of Surrey? I'm just wanting to know whether there is quite a high demand for childminders in this area or whether I'll struggle a bit....

Thanks!

mjw
12-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Hi I live in Woking and never have vacancies so I am sure you will be fine. Advertise on the Surrey FIS site. There are a few of us on this forum from surrey so they may have more advice. I hope you have registered on the Surrey County Childminding Association (SCCMA) site too for local info.:)
Mary

snowbunny
12-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks, it won't register me because I don't have an ofsted number.

Hopefully that's a good sign, we're not too far away from each other - I'm actually coming to Woking to my Briefing meeting :)

Thanks for your help.

deeb66
12-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Hi I live in Woking and never have vacancies so I am sure you will be fine. Advertise on the Surrey FIS site. There are a few of us on this forum from surrey so they may have more advice. I hope you have registered on the Surrey County Childminding Association (SCCMA) site too for local info.:)
Mary

Good plug for SCCMA Mary.....keep up the good work :D

Hope you ok?

Hi Snowbunny......don't know much about availability in Chertsey area......I am in Weybridge.

As Mary says best to check on FIS website to see how many advertising and that will give you an idea.

Dee
xx

snowbunny
12-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Only one women advertising for Chertsey - one for just outside so i should take this as a good thing i guess??? I'm so worried i won't be able to get anyone! I am hoping to be up and running by September (I'm hoping this will be a good month!!) :)

deeb66
12-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Only one women advertising for Chertsey - one for just outside so i should take this as a good thing i guess??? I'm so worried i won't be able to get anyone! I am hoping to be up and running by September (I'm hoping this will be a good month!!) :)

September is usually a good month as kids going back to school. Only downside is that parents usually start contacting minders around June early July and you will not be allowed to advertise until you are actually registered.

When is your briefing meeting?

If you want to proceed you will also have to enrol for the training course (known as CHiP) which includes your first Aid training and Safeguarding Children training.

snowbunny
12-01-2009, 05:04 PM
My briefing meeting is on the 7th Feb, I'm really not sure what to expect.

How long do you think it'll take to get registered if I got to my meeting on 7th Feb?

Thanks for your help!! x

deeb66
12-01-2009, 05:14 PM
It really does depend on when you are able to get on the CHiP course. The ladies who hold the briefing will give you dates on the same evening.

I would recommend that you book onto the first available course that you can.

The courses are usually done for approx 3 hours one evening a week and if I remember correctly last around 9-10 weeks (I think they have adjusted it again so not entirely sure)

They also usually run them on a Saturday as weel - either full day or half day depending upon availability.

Obviously if you do the Saturday courses it will be faster than the evening ones.

They will also advise you on that briefing meeting what the time scale is at the moment for becomming registered in this area.

I will warn you that there is lots of information for you to 'take in' on that evening so be prepared. They will also flood you with mountains of paperwork which will include the application forms etc.

They will also talk to you about a 'Support Minder' who is there to help you through the registration process and to support you for 12 months after you become registered.

You will only be assigned to one if you request it and I would strongly recommend that you do as he/she can help you through the sticky bits and more importantly than that they have knowledge of the local area.

snowbunny
12-01-2009, 06:45 PM
very helpful info, I'm anxious about it but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Thanks very much x I think I'll try and do the saturday courses if it gets me going quicker.

Sarah555
13-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Hi Snowbunny,
I went to the Guildford meeting on Saturday was very helpful and got lots of paper work to take away! Will give you a heads up though that one lady has left out of the group that run the Chip course's so they are running behind and people are struggling to get on any time soon. I tried to book on the woking one which starts on the last Sat in Feb but is fully booked, Francis said to call back on Monday when she has done the dates for next terms meetings so once i know will send u a message with them so you can book as soon as possible
Hope you enjoy your meeting :)
Sarah
P.s The lady at the meeting did say that from when Ofsted get your forms it should take 12 weeks but could be longer if something holds it up

deeb66
13-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Hi Snowbunny,
Will give you a heads up though that one lady has left out of the group that run the Chip course's so they are running behind and people are struggling to get on any time soon.

The job role has now been filled so hopefully the successful applicant will be in place fairly soon and everything will be back to normal soon :)