PDA

View Full Version : DHC

snowbunny
12-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Hi,

I'm not yet registered - what is DHC? I need to do an ICP course - is this the same thing? and if not, do we all have to do it at some point?:blush:

Pipsqueak
12-01-2009, 03:43 PM
The DHC is the a five unit course called the Diploma in Homebased Childcare - a level 3 qualification designed for homebased childcarers.

Unit 1 (formerly the ICP) is mandatory for all newly registering minders.

I would say yes do the DHC - not sure if it has been revised but I am sure that by a certain year you will need a level 3 qualification and this is perfect for childminding - but transferable to another setting.

Hope that helps

Happy Feet
17-01-2009, 12:04 PM
I've just stared my DHC Unit 1 (thursday was my first session)

In my area we have to complete the Unit 1 along with first aid before we can put our applications in to Ofsted. There are a couple of others courses that i'm signed up to do before my application goes in, these aren't compulsory yet but i'm doing them anyway while they are on offer!

Units 2,3,4 & 5 can all be done individually and don't have to be done in order but they all make up the NVQ Level 3, which is currently optional.

I was told at my briefing that in a few years it is likely that the NVQ will become compulsory so as soon as my unit 1 is done and I will be making a start on the next one (is partly funded in my area at the moment so want to get it all done before they change their minds!)

xx

cheeky monkeys
18-01-2009, 06:11 PM
DHC unit 1 is now compulsory for all new childminders. Depending on the area that you live in will depend on how many units you can do. In Hertfordshire they only do unit 1 as YIH (Young in Herts) prefer that their childminders do the NVQ level 3, as this will be compulsory for all childminders from 2010.

Pipsqueak
18-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Cheeky, I don't mean to contradict you (perhaps I have misread your post)but the NVQ L3 isn't compulsory but a level 3 will be. DHC (all 5 units) is a level 3 but specific to childminders. The DHC will be acceptable as a level 3 qualification.

LittleMissSparkles
18-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Cheeky, I don't mean to contradict you (perhaps I have misread your post)but the NVQ L3 isn't compulsory but a level 3 will be. DHC (all 5 units) is a level 3 but specific to childminders. The DHC will be acceptable as a level 3 qualification.

yes thats right Pip and I think now you have to complete unit 1 before you can register is that right ???? x

Pipsqueak
18-01-2009, 08:56 PM
yes thats right Pip and I think now you have to complete unit 1 before you can register is that right ???? x

Indeed you are right Sparky! Most places run ICP (unit 1) 6 week course with the first aid tagged onto the end and that way your requirements are met.:)

misst104
19-01-2009, 10:06 PM
In west Yorkshire they offer the DHC unit 1 over two saturdays ( 6hrs each) which myself and a friend are starting this saturday. We were told that we have to do that before we send off our forms. Is this the same as the 6 week course which I am presuming is in an evening -2hrs each)??? We have been getting very confused as to what is DHC / ICP and what the difference is, so this thread is very useful.

Jo x x x

Pipsqueak
19-01-2009, 10:08 PM
yes it will be the same just a "faster track" course:)

misst104
19-01-2009, 10:09 PM
yes it will be the same just a "faster track" course:)

Thanks for that. Less baffled now :thumbsup:

Jo x x x :)

cheeky monkeys
19-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Pipsqueak you misread my post

Pipsqueak
22-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Pipsqueak you misread my post

Yes I thought perhaps I had - sometimes things aren't always what they seem when you type it out.
I just wanted to clarify the requirements and levels and qualifications for any newbies or those who perhaps didn't understand:)

23-01-2009, 01:51 PM
hi

This is exactly what I wanted to know. So all these things about needing a Level 3 in 2010 or 2015? a DHC is OK? I am starting it soon and I don't want to get through it only to start on the NVQ because a DHC isn't as long a course. Getting very confused here.

Anni

Minstrel
23-01-2009, 01:54 PM
All 5 units of the DHC make up the level 3 qualification. Unit 1 is the only part you HAVE to have to start childminding.

Rasharoon
23-01-2009, 02:39 PM
All 5 units of the DHC make up the level 3 qualification. Unit 1 is the only part you HAVE to have to start childminding.

Soooooo, if you complete all 5 units within the DHC, what type of level 3 qualification would this equate to? Is the NVQ L3 something totally different?

Minstrel
23-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Its a Diploma in Home based Childcare so its specific to childminding, althought its the same level as the NVQ.