PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Advice needed

~*Sarah*~
12-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi,

I dont know where i stand on this.

1 of my mindees mums phoned to ask if I can pick her up from child from home today (usually its from preschool) as she kept her eldest child off of school as they woke up covered in sick.

She said my mindee is ok and eating and she could do with a break so wants her still to come to me.

I am very apprehensive as this happened before and my whole family came down with the sickness bug and so did my mindee the following day. I also have a 19 mth old daughter recovering from a chest infection.

I dont know where i stand as obviously my mindee isnt the one ill.

Please help I have to pick her up soon

sue m
12-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Oh dear. I would be inclined to think it would go right through the house if it is a bug and you are likely to get it and all your family and you don't want your litlle girl to get it. You will lose the money and risk upsetting Mum of course but I think it's worth it, I'd say sorry, there's obviously a bug in your home and I can't risk me and my family getting it. Remember the sickness policy, no children until they have not been sick or had the runs for 48 hours. the little one who was sick could be the one to start the bug in their house. Sorry that's very waffled but I had to be quick cos I've got my two mindees here and was just having a quick peek!!!!! :D

sue m
12-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Just noticed you aid THEY woke up covered in sick so if you do mean the one you are supposed to be picking up, it's a definite NO!!! Hope you've not gone already!!

LOOPYLISA
12-01-2009, 10:17 AM
I would prob say no too, its not easy is it, i hope someone else comes along soon and gives you a better reply than me x

Chatterbox Childcare
12-01-2009, 10:33 AM
I cannot see how you can say no unless the child is ill as you are contracted.

You could offer to not be paid and for mum to have the mindee but it would have to be a mutual agreement

~*Sarah*~
12-01-2009, 10:43 AM
It was the eldest child that was sick not the mindee.

I am sooo cocerned as this happened before. The mum said the elsdest was sick, still bought my mindee round and withing 48 hours we had all got the sickness bug. It even spread to some friends that had been round to see us the evening before.

I dont know if I can risk it really as my daughter is only just recovering from a chest infection.

sue m
12-01-2009, 10:45 AM
I read the post very quickly and saw that Sarah said THEY woke up covered in sick but then added that her mindee wasn't the child who was sick.

Blaze
12-01-2009, 10:48 AM
I would say that you are unable to collect as you have other children that you are caring for....keep us posted.

rickysmiths
12-01-2009, 10:49 AM
The 'they' bothers me do they share a bedroom? It is difficult I think you prob should have the child unfortuneately the bug will do the rounds and your family will or may not get it.

You could appeal to the mum, offer her the days fee back and suggest under the circumstances you would feel more comfortable if the mindee stayed at home today.

The other issue I see, is you mention your child is unwell, so perhaps you should be taking a few days of until they are fully well anyway.
I know thats a hard choice but children are never convienient I'm afraid and at least you are working from home so you haven't got to face a grotty boss to beg for time off.

~*Sarah*~
12-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Well the mum is reluctantly keeping her child off. I had to think of everyone else involved including the other children i mind. I do feel like I have let her down a bit but she says she understands why i had to do it

My daughter's illness is not infectious and the mums were aware she was ill. Her dad was off last week anyway and looked after her.

Alibali
12-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Glad you got it sorted, you're braver than me, I'd have taken her - well done you:)

angeldelight
12-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Glad you got it sorted

Dont think I would have been so brave many times one of the brothers I mind are ill but I always still take the other one

Good for you though

Angel xx

Rubybubbles
12-01-2009, 01:28 PM
I cannot see how you can say no unless the child is ill as you are contracted.You could offer to not be paid and for mum to have the mindee but it would have to be a mutual agreement

I agree with this;)

My son had d&v just beofre christmas, I took time off work, then I got it but dd didn;t get anything, it could go past her. BUT I would say no to picking up if not within normal contract (ie: you pick her up from pre-school, so would she then want you to drop her back home?)

~*Sarah*~
12-01-2009, 02:44 PM
I understand why those of you would say I couldnt refuse but I have my own daughter to consider and the other childminded children.

Theit parents wouldnt be happy if they came down with it. Thats exactly what happened to us before.

The mum would of come and got her but she would of bought her eldest with her as their is no one to look after her.

Obviously normal colds etc theres not alot you can do but d and v bugs can be prevented from spreading.

sue m
12-01-2009, 03:09 PM
I was a childminder for many years Sarah and so many times me and my family caught tummy bugs from children who had them and their Mums just HAD to go to work cos it was so important that particular day. It's horrible cos you feel so ill and you lose money cos you can't work and of course other parents have to find alternative care for their kids. Prevention is better than cure. I realize we are contracted but if we tell the parents why we don't want to have the mindee and say we won't charge, to me it's better than getting a bug and not being able to work for days.

~*Sarah*~
12-01-2009, 03:48 PM
you are so right there Sue:thumbsup: