PDA

View Full Version : Care - Expenses!

mookyjordan
11-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Hello all

Does anyone claim ALL their car expenses for childminding? I was going to do the 40p/mile but it just won't give me back anything like the amount I've paid out, so I'm going to claim using receipts instead. I think mileage is good for salesmen, not childminders!! If it wasn't for childminding I would not have bought the car, end of. Does anyone, in this situation, claim 100% or should I do 75% as it's also used for private use or is 50% the limit?

I could call tax office again but it's hard to get through!!

Thanks! (again):mad: :eek:

sarah707
11-01-2009, 05:48 PM
You can claim this way.

We are not experts though and I strongly suggest you speak to the Tax Office to get the details.

It is quite complicated I believe.

:D

mookyjordan
11-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks!

I will try to call them tomorrow.
:eek:

FizzysFriends
11-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Definatly call the tax office as its a complicated way of doing it. Also check that you can still use the car for your own use, in a company (rather than self employed) it would be a taxable expense if you used it for your own time (although there are a few exceptions you can use it for). This is one of the things that the tax office are hot on checking.

Chatterbox Childcare
11-01-2009, 07:57 PM
I do depreciation but you need to have a large percentage of business use for it to work. I would suggest that you do a mileage sheet and at the end of the year work out what is best for you.

You also need for your vehicle to be high in price.

need any more information please feel free to pm me

DCS
11-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Hello all

Does anyone claim ALL their car expenses for childminding? I was going to do the 40p/mile but it just won't give me back anything like the amount I've paid out, so I'm going to claim using receipts instead. I think mileage is good for salesmen, not childminders!! If it wasn't for childminding I would not have bought the car, end of. Does anyone, in this situation, claim 100% or should I do 75% as it's also used for private use or is 50% the limit?

I could call tax office again but it's hard to get through!!

Thanks! (again):mad: :eek:

As a sole trader, you can never claim back 100% costs of a vechile.
you have to work out biz and personal milage over the course of a year, then work out the % rate to claim the the biz portion only.

actual info can be accessed via tax website.

CCJD
12-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Definitely one to query with the tax man.

I bought a new car in March of last year so was thinking that the captial allowance way (a percentage of car cost, plus all running costs) would work out more for me - however I do quite some mileage with pre-school pick ups and the 40p per mile actually worked out higher.

The online tax assessment form had a calculation sheet worked into it so that you could calculate the capital allowance amount and then delete it if you didnt want to use it.

I am sure that if you wanted to claim for everything by receipt rather than mileage you would have to pro-rata which in itself may be a hassle too.

Good luck

magicminding
12-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Also - I'm not 100% sure, but I thought that if you did claim a % of the car for three years then you can't use the no receipt under £10 rule?????? You should check your NCMA accounts book if you have one - (I don't as I defected a couple of years ago! lol)

mookyjordan
13-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Thank you everyone!

Great help.

S x