PDA

View Full Version : medium term planning

loocyloo
08-01-2009, 06:12 PM
hello!

i think ( hope!!! ) i'm just being brain dead!

i had my development officer here earlier, and she said next time she comes over she wants to see my 'learning journeys'. i said i don't actually do the ncma learning journeys, but have a scrapbook with all observations etc in, and each one has a next steps attached.

i do have a (rather vague) long term plan, but as all my children are pretty much where i would expect them to be developmentally, i'm just moving them on as they need to be moved on, as per next steps! i do one 'formal' observation a 1/2 term, but several photo/craft/wow etc as well! ( depending how often i see them, so more for the 4 full days child, and not much for the 2 hr a week child! )

back to the point! she said she wanted to see all the medium term planning i am doing ... so is this basically the 'next steps' ??? i'm getting myself all confused!

hope someone can help un-muddle me!

thanks, loocyloo xxx

sarah707
08-01-2009, 06:51 PM
You are doing absolutely the right thing and she is clearly talking out of her bottom.

Medium term planning is not necessary if you are following children's interests with short term planning and you have a clear long term goal... both of which you have in place.

As you know, your long term planning is like your diary... festivals, celebrations, things sketched in for dull moments, themed ideas to follow children's interests... then your short term plan is weekly or even daily for each child, following on from your obs (and next steps) and their interests.

Ask her to show you where in the eyfs it says you must have medium term planning in place... :D

loocyloo
08-01-2009, 08:33 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

thank you!!!

just needed someone else to say what i thought !!!!

( but might print your message to remind myself!! LOL )

xxx

sarah707
08-01-2009, 08:53 PM
I nearly said 'send her my way if she disagrees with you' but changed my mind.

She sounds a bit scary! :panic: :laughing:

loocyloo
09-01-2009, 05:46 PM
LOL !!!

she is actually really nice, and very supportive, but is also 'mrs always right' !!!

x