PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Eating Policy

buildingblocks
26-01-2008, 04:55 PM
I need some help in wording this. I am basically trying to say that whilst I will not give crisps, sweets, sugary cereals, fizzy drinks, etc it does not mean that by being given them at home I think the parents are wrong. Would really liek to blame this on Ofsted but obviously can't lol

Any help anyone

Rubybubbles
26-01-2008, 04:58 PM
I did one from the bromley website, can't find mine in my files at the moment,:confused: do you children bring packed lunch?

Mine do

Spangles
26-01-2008, 05:30 PM
What about if you say something like 'according to current best practice and Ofsted guidelines, childminders are unable to offer bla, bla, bla, bla to children in their care and I must therefore adhere to this rule wholeheartedly and will ensure that your children only receive healthy drinks and foods at all times whilst at my setting.'

Then you are blaming it on Ofsted and it shouldn't make the parents feel judged if they give them to their children?

sarah707
26-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Of course you should blame it on Ofsted... I do all the time... it is, after all, usually their fault :laughing:

Rubybubbles
26-01-2008, 06:28 PM
What about if you say something like 'according to current best practice and Ofsted guidelines, childminders are unable to offer bla, bla, bla, bla to children in their care and I must therefore adhere to this rule wholeheartedly and will ensure that your children only receive healthy drinks and foods at all times whilst at my setting.'

Then you are blaming it on Ofsted and it shouldn't make the parents feel judged if they give them to their children?

ohhhh I like that bit too:cool: going to add to mine

angeldelight
27-01-2008, 02:02 PM
I would blame Ofsted they are hardly going to check up are they haha

Hope you sorted it now ?

Angel xx

buildingblocks
28-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks everyone for all your help sorry not replied sooner had a bit of a hectic weekend

Banana
28-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Interesting.

Although I give the children in my care a balanced diet and healthy options at mealtimes and snacktimes. I do let them have crisps and sweets also... not a daily occurance obviously, but how many of you have it written into your policies that you NEVER give these things? I do not give fizzy drinks to any child though.

Interested in replies

xx

buildingblocks
28-01-2008, 11:41 AM
I have done this as I have signed up to the stop the rot campaign but also state that we willhave cakes and biscuits that the children make and I will do birthday cake on birthdays (I agree with everything in moderation). I am hopign to use htis to stop my little bugbears. Mum of 2 over 8's give them money for the shop every time i pick up and i don't think this is fair on the little ones I have and another mum sends sugary cereals for breakfast (she is paying me to provide brekkie but can't get kids out of house without this) so using this as a way to stop this without upsetting parents (mind you way I feel about these 2 parents at moment don't care if I do upset them lol - please don't report me to Ofsted ladies for having evil thougths about paretns and what I would liek to do to them)

Pipsqueak
28-01-2008, 11:55 AM
According to the tv this morning, its not the sugar we are having to watch out for its the salt content in cereals, most children are getting close to their RDA with their bowl of cereal.

I have in my policy that no foods are banned (unless told otherwise by parents/health matters etc) and we will have certain drinks and foods such as fizzy drinks, McD's, crisps etc in moderation and these will be considered treats for occasional occasions (it is worded better in my policy:p ).

sarah707
28-01-2008, 12:06 PM
My policy states that everything in moderation is pretty much ok but I will never give fizzy drinks and artificial colours / peanuts are banned from the house because of allergies.

We signed up to 'stop the rot' as well... just annoys me when parents turn up to collect with big bars of chocolate or bags of crisps!

I have not taken mindees to mcd's for about 4 years now (mostly cos I don't like the food) but we do occasionally go to the local cafe for a sandwich or cheese on toast or something similar... they seem to enjoy this just as much. We are lucky in Knutsford though as we have lots of cafes! :D