PDA

View Full Version : Outstanding

snowbunny
07-01-2009, 02:52 PM
How can you get an outstanding? It seems they tend to give most people goods - this is very good :) but how would you get an outstanding? Also, can you get an outstanding at your preg reg inspection?

x

Andrea08
07-01-2009, 02:55 PM
sarah d best about this but i dont think you can get outstanding on pre-reg as you dont have children with you?
its not easy to get an outstanding although many on the forum have. im still very proud of my good and if i get a good next time which will include the EYFS etc then i will be just as happy if not more so.

patevans
07-01-2009, 04:10 PM
I am more than happy with my good too and want it to stay as good!! :thumbsup:

katickles
07-01-2009, 04:14 PM
You don't actually get a grading at your pre reg. You get a grading once you have started working & have an inspection.

My friend has just recently got Outstanding. She well deserved it as sge really does do so much.

I am graded as a good & like above I'd be very pleased with the same grade next time especially as it will be an inspection with EYFS which i didn't have before.

Pipsqueak
07-01-2009, 04:34 PM
A few tips and tricks -

look at (local) childminders reports online via the Offy website - see what the inspectors are picking up on etc

on the ofsted website there is a document - How to be outstanding

Fill in your SEF (when you start working) and stress points where you exceed the recommended good/best practice
also build a portfolio of your work/practice/comments from parents and children etc
take lots of pictures for "evidence", get parents (and children feedback)

You don't get a grading at pre-reg and I wouldn't pin your hopes on gaining an outstanding at your first full inspection either. I always aim to be the best I possibly can be - and then I strive to meet and exceed what is expected of me. If you can show and prove and explain why and what you do and why it works in your practice - essential point - it is up to you to prove and tell the inspector.

I freely admit that I am chasing an outstanding for my next inspection but I am trying not to pin too much on it just in case I don't. This is purely for my own personal satisfaction

Annie_T
07-01-2009, 05:20 PM
you dont get graded at pre reg hun. its just to see whats what etc

not to sure how to get an putstanding hun sorry

sarah707
07-01-2009, 06:08 PM
I've no idea!

I didn't expect one at my inspection and burst into tears when the inspector said she was giving it me.

She said it was for doing more than good... she said good is hard work and outstanding is just that bit more, that extra something... she'd not given an outstanding for many years before me.

The document on the Ofsted site that Pips mentioned is very helpful as is reading reports :D

SimplyLucy
07-01-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm not quite sure how I got an Outstanding either. I just carried on with my normal day when the inspector was here, she hardly asked me any questions although she asked the children loads!

I had 8 children here as it was the first day of the holidays :eek: . She said she didn't need to ask me questions as my paperwork told her everything. So I guess good paperwork is handy.

It was the first Outstanding she had given for over a year and the first time she had ever given an outstanding for a first inspection.

jmoff
07-01-2009, 07:19 PM
I've no idea!

I didn't expect one at my inspection and burst into tears when the inspector said she was giving it me.

She said it was for doing more than good... she said good is hard work and outstanding is just that bit more, that extra something... she'd not given an outstanding for many years before me.

The document on the Ofsted site that Pips mentioned is very helpful as is reading reports :D

I think you should have got something like a super outstanding, Sarah!!!

I also got an outstanding somehow...by trying to do extra bits, such as lists , newsletters etc knowing that others in my area dont really bother with.
Also i would have never got it without this forum! And being newly registered doesnt mean you cant get an outstanding.
Jx

gemhei
07-01-2009, 07:45 PM
They never graded me on my pre-reg as they said it was just an idea of what track im on and id have a full inspection shortly after im registered.

Id of loved to get an outstanding but with mindee asleep and me being a very new childminder i was thrilled with satisfactory :clapping: maybe next time :)

Joannechildmind
07-01-2009, 07:45 PM
i was told in my last inspection if i had a garden i would have got an outstanding :mad:

Jo

sarah707
07-01-2009, 08:44 PM
i was told in my last inspection if i had a garden i would have got an outstanding :mad:

Jo

Oh that's not fair! Some of them do come out with funny things. :(

So long as you know in your head that you are outstanding that's what matters! :D

Joannechildmind
07-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Oh that's not fair! Some of them do come out with funny things. :(

So long as you know in your head that you are outstanding that's what matters! :D

I know! she was lovely, but seemed a little 'scatty' for an inspector. :blush:

Jo

Twinkles
07-01-2009, 10:22 PM
I just put my outstanding down to lots of paperwork - they love paperwork. I would have been very happy with a good and don't expect an outstanding under the eyfs.
I know I've said it before but having an outstanding hasn't affected my business in the least. I do my very best for the children I care for - always have and always will. The fact that the children are happy means far more than a piece of paper.

beerheaven
07-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Couldn't agree with you more, Twinkles.
Don't get me wrong I would be bowled over to get outstanding but I get a lot of business from recommendations, and above all the mindees are happy in my care. That's what counts.