PDA

View Full Version : Short term contracts

LIZZIE
06-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi all,
Well I have just had a parent round to sign a contract, its for term time.Which I am really pleased about. However she said that she would need me for some of this years school hols tho not all. My question is how do I go about doing a holiday minding contract. Should I put the dates I do have on one contract(she isn't sure yet what holiday cover she needs)and then add dates to it? Or should I use a seperate contract for each cover? I don't want to sound mean but that might end up using 4 or 5 contracts this year!!
Thanks

PixiePetal
06-01-2009, 03:44 PM
I charge a half fee retainer in the hols (as the place would be available and so am I) If they want to use the space, they pay in full. Helps to have a weeks notice though! Only have one contract with term time hours and a note about holidays and the fact that I need a weeks notice.

If a retainer was not paid, I would not guarantee the space. Others I have had did this, and sometimes I was going out or just didn't want to work the day so they could not come. I took others on instead too so the places were sometimes taken.

katickles
06-01-2009, 03:53 PM
If its term time only & you are not charging a retainer fee I would write a note in the contract stating that holiday cover will be charged at £** rate but MUST be pre-arranged. Also make a note that as they are not paying a retainer fee then you can not guarentee a place would be available (just to cover your own back should you get a holiday only mindee)

Obviously thats not the best wording, but thats the kind of thing i'd do.

Well done on tyhe contract BTW

LIZZIE
06-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Thank you Pixiepetal,
I think thats a good idea. She has already given me some dates when she will definitely need me or not need me so will mention to her about retainers. We have already signed the term time contract so shall I do a holiday cover one and put all holidays on it with half fee retainer and then charge full for days used? I am already sooo confused. It doesn't make it any easier that I know her too and I promised myself "business is business" and now I am crumbling at the first stumbling block. I am just too soft I suppose:confused:

LIZZIE
06-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Thank you Katickles,
Can I add notes to the term time contract after it has been signed re holidays? I like the idea of stating that it must be pre arranged. How do I go about adding things to contracts.

katickles
06-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Thank you Katickles,
Can I add notes to the term time contract after it has been signed re holidays? I like the idea of stating that it must be pre arranged. How do I go about adding things to contracts.

I wouldn't no. Sorry i've mis read the 1st part where you've already signed contracts.

If you need to make any ammendments - personally I would do a new one to save any misunderstandings in the future.

LIZZIE
06-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Sounds like it to me too. Oh goodness now i.m stressed:panic:
How I hate those pesky contracts already. I don't understanmd half of it when it says things like additional info etc

Chatterbox Childcare
06-01-2009, 04:15 PM
If the cover is only required for the holidays I would write 1 contract covering all 13 weeks stipulating a fee per day/week and then a 50% retainer for the time not used.

If you don't charge anything for the time she is off you may land up holding a space and maybe only working 2 weeks of it which is financially a good idea.

LIZZIE
06-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks Debbie,
Yes I will do that. I will text her soon just to let her know and digest it ! She is used to paying for a place that isn't being used as LO has been in nurseries, but a lot of people think that once their children start school then childcare suddenly becomes very cheap!

LIZZIE
06-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Sorry me again. Sorry to keep banging on about these contracts but have just been looking at them again and there isn't enough space on the retainer part to put all the school holidays in! should I list them in the additional info part? I do feel really thick about this but have never done one before(poor excuse I know). Then on the retainer part where it says retainer fee to cover period from/to refer to aditional info section. I hope this makes sense to you all my brain is like jam at the mo:blush: