PDA

View Full Version : numbers question with an assistant?

jmoff
17-12-2008, 02:13 PM
...not sure about this one...

I will have to stop childminding next year for about a year I think- having twins in June and my dd is 2. I am not sure what my options are afterwards really. If I employ and assistant when the twins turn one, my dd will be 3 1/2 and would have started nursery by then. But if I get an assistant, would she be able to care for 2 under 5 even though I would have 3 under 5?

I know I would be able to care for somebody when my dd is at nursery but just thinking what would work out better financially.
Hope I havent made it too confusing!
Thanks
Jx

sarah707
17-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Until your dd is in full time school (10 sessions a week) you cannot care for another child ... She is still counted in your under 5s ratios. So while she is at nursery her space isn't free to get other work... does that make sense?

There is no guarantee they will up your numbers with an assistant either.

Have you thought about before and after school care? A friend of mine has 5 big children come every day, she picks them up and they have breakfast and tea. She says it's worth her while and she has the day free for her own children.

jmoff
17-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Ok Sarah, thanks.
Not great news then...I am hoping you are wrong:) errr, dont think that has happened yet has it!!

Are you sure I wouldnt be able to have any1 term time only whilst dd is at nursery?

xx

tinkerbelle
17-12-2008, 02:38 PM
im registered with an assistant my youngest is nearly 7 so i can have 5 under 8's when on my own but when my assistant is here i can have 11 under 8's it also goes on the size of your house as well may be worth checking with ofsted as to weather its worth while doing

Pauline
17-12-2008, 03:21 PM
It doesn't cost anything to get an assistant registered so if I were you I would look into it and ask Ofsted about extra numbers. It is unusual for them not to allow you more, but they take each case individually, so what one can do doesn't necessarily mean another can. :)

Michelle M
01-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Sorry to jump in here, I am registering my next door neighbour as my assistant and completed a EY2 form etc. Will Ofsted come round to inspect the house before deciding how many children I can have? I have 4 under 3's no with a variation and one parent is pregnant again so that will be 3 from one family! I guess there is that chance they could take my current variation away if I am registering an assistant.

sarah707
01-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Sorry to jump in here, I am registering my next door neighbour as my assistant and completed a EY2 form etc. Will Ofsted come round to inspect the house before deciding how many children I can have? I have 4 under 3's no with a variation and one parent is pregnant again so that will be 3 from one family! I guess there is that chance they could take my current variation away if I am registering an assistant.

Possibly... you need to ring them and they will tell you ...

Good luck! :D