PDA

View Full Version : Cordless telephone...

Blaze
13-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Just had a call from a CM who had her inspection yesterday & has been pulled up on not having a cordless telephone...she is being actioned for it...thought it was worth letting you all know...:rolleyes:

FizzysFriends
13-12-2008, 05:00 PM
I thought you were going to say because she has a cordless phone, incase its needed when there is a loss of power.

miffy
13-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks Blaze - at least I don't have to worry about that one.

Wouldn't be happy if I was your friend though :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

sarah707
13-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Does she mean a corded one?

I thought you were supposed to have one in case your electricity went bang and the cordless one didn't work...?

Blaze
13-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Personally I think OFSTED are just being difficult!

littlesprogs
13-12-2008, 05:08 PM
i personally dont see what difference it makes. surely if you have a power cut you can use your mobile?

Hebs
13-12-2008, 06:37 PM
i have both :laughing:

balloon
13-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Did she say why you have to have a cordless one?

At my pre reg inspection the inspector knew I had a cordless one and said I should think about getting a corded one too in case of power power outage, but then said my mobile would be okay (that was for overnight stays not normal minding)

I wish they had some sort of list so they all said the same thing!

Carol
13-12-2008, 06:55 PM
They..............Ofsted seem like they have to find a problem it annoys me, bet another cm would be pulled up about having a corded one and being a danger to lo.

:(

Carol

Blaze
13-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Her main phone is a corded one (perfect if there was a powercut), but...apparently it puts the kids at risk as she is stuck in one place if she needs to use it....also she couldn't take instructions if there was an emergency (medically)....what DID people do before they existed!!!!:rolleyes:

PS she has a mobile & pointed this out!

chaotic_space
14-12-2008, 04:55 PM
That really is being picky. Cordless phones have all sorts of problems already pointed out. And whose to say you would have a cordless phone in your hard in event of an emergency? You'd still have to go fetch it or carry a child to it. Very silly.

Angela234
14-12-2008, 05:26 PM
I have just brought a cordless house phone i find it so much better can watch the kids better.
I always have my mobil as back up

Angela

Hebs
14-12-2008, 07:03 PM
i love my cordless phone :thumbsup:

i hate feeling like i'm tied down to a phone, but i do have 2 corded phones, 1 in dining room and 1 in my bedroom just in case

Chatterbox Childcare
14-12-2008, 07:05 PM
I would wait for the report and challenge it. Don't remember reading in the standards that we had to have one. Doesn't her mobile count anyway?

DudleyChildmind
14-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the tip. I have a cordless phone but I really do think Ofsted are being picky especially if your friend is being actioned for not having one.

Pipsqueak
14-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Oh here we go - Ofsted inspectors are now imposing their own personal "standards" yet again - that didn't take long did it - got used to the EYFS what else can we do just to be awkward:( .

Hope your friend challenges this

Blaze
14-12-2008, 08:59 PM
She's not challenging...doesn't want to rock the boat! It's the actioning part that got me too!:mad:

Pipsqueak
14-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Thats a shame she won't challenge but I guess I can understand her logic

Heaven Scent
15-12-2008, 02:05 AM
No mention of that to me on my inspection or to any of the local minders here who have been inspected since EYFS - they shouldn't be allowed put their own preferences in as action points - they could mention it as an idea but that is all.

I have 2 phone numbers and a total of 5 cordless handsets an a corded phone with a fax machine for the main phone and they are all subject to failure in the event of a power cut (or when you son floods the house and cuts off all the electrics in the house - on a friday night in November when you have the flu) I have two handsets for the other number. Plus I have a corded phone which I keep in the cupboard in the hall for use in when electric supply is interrupted - Good thinking batman I hear you say - and yes I agree - except as I found out one Friday night in November - some dope who often resides in this house (AKA DH) has removed the wire from it and therefore rendered it useless.

Still if its not in the standards it shouldn't count and shouldn't be actionable.