PDA

View Full Version : Help needed

dizzyrascal
09-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi

I'm new to this forum I'm not a childminder myself however I do have a childminder looking after my 5 year old. She has been doing the NVQ3 but has given it up as she is struggling with it, her tutor has told her she is now no longer able to childmind and has told her to give me 2 weeks notice today because of EYFS. I'm really upset and angry and she has been brilliant with my son who has microcephaly, is this correct that she cannot carry on minding?

Thanks

sarah707
09-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Hi, welcome to the forum.

There are absolutely no requirements on childminders to complete an NVQ 3 in order to care for children in the EYFS.

The only legally required qualifications are -

- Introduction to Childminding course;

- Up-to-date paediatric first aid certificate.

There are requirements in the Childcare register (which is relevant for children who are no longer in teh Eyfs - ie. over 6 years old) that childminders should have a level 2 qualification... but this is not now, it is to be in process by 2010.

I suggest you or your childminder contacts Ofsted tomorrow for clarification...

enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk

Pipsqueak
09-12-2008, 09:18 PM
No thats no right at all. I am very surprised that her tutor has told her that
Tell your childminder to come on here - tons of support and advice about everything.

sarah707
09-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Here is the legal wording taken directly from the Eyfs - page 31 - you can view it here -

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/publications/foundation_stage/eyfs/eyfs_res_stat_frmwrk.pdf

Adults looking after children must have appropriate qualifications, training, skills and knowledge.

Specific legal requirements

Childminders must have attended a training course within six months of registration and must hold a current paediatric first aid certificate at the point of registration. First aid training must be approved by the local authority and consistent with the guidance set out in the Practice Guidance for the Early Years Foundation Stage.

In registered settings other than childminding settings, all supervisors and managers must hold a full and relevant level 3 qualification (as defined by the Children’s Workforce Development Council (CWDC)) and half of all other staff must hold a full and relevant level 2 qualification (as defined by CWDC)

Hope this helps :D

marian
09-12-2008, 09:22 PM
I wonder where her tutor got that idea from, and more worryingly how many other childminders has she said the same to!:eek:
Marian x

Andrea08
09-12-2008, 09:26 PM
all the above is correct, 2010 is the yr that childminders are expected to be working towards NVQ2, her turor must have her dates wrong or is thinking that your childminder is not ready to do the 3 an should maybe do the level 2 first but like the others have said if she was to come onto the fourm we will help her with the NVQ and not to quit,

funding is available so your childminder can continue or to go bck to it after xmas.

good luck x:thumbsup:

sarah707
09-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Here it is! Knew i'd got it saved somewhere...

The requirements for the childcare register, which relates to childminders caring for children who are older -

Qualifications and training

CR4.1 Childminders must ensure that they successfully complete, within 6months of registration, a course approved by an English local authority designed to enable the childminder meet the requirements of registration(unless they have already done so).

CR4.2 Childminders and home childcarers must have successfully completed a:
 qualification at a minimum of level 2 in an area of work relevant to childcare, or
 training in the core skills as set out in the document ‘common core of skills and knowledge for the children’s workforce’.

This 2nd bit CR4.2 is for the voluntary part of the childcare register only - the voluntary register relates to children who are over 8!

Blaze
09-12-2008, 09:51 PM
:eek: ...beaten to it...really wish people supposidly in the know would check before they give out the totally wrong info...do they not realise the impact they have on others' lives!!!!:angry:

The above info is corect...give your CM the forum link...think she needs the support judjing what she's been told!!!!:)

dizzyrascal
09-12-2008, 10:08 PM
thanks for all your messages I will speak to her tomorrow as I'm sure what she has been told isn't right!

mummyroysof3
10-12-2008, 09:16 AM
hi, i have completeed the icp course and start unit 2 in march 09 if i complete all 5 units will i still have to do the nvq as well or not?

charlotte x

sarah707
10-12-2008, 09:36 AM
hi, i have completeed the icp course and start unit 2 in march 09 if i complete all 5 units will i still have to do the nvq as well or not?

charlotte x

There is a lot of confusion about what courses count as level 2 for working with the voluntary part of the childcare register. There is plenty of time for everyone to get to grips with it and for training to be rolled out across the country.

It's all about the Common Core Skills and there is new information coming out about it all the time.

Don't forget, as things stand at the moment, Childminders do not need level 2 to work with the Eyfs!!

You just need to have your introduction to childminding course and a first aid certificate.

Pipsqueak
10-12-2008, 10:32 AM

charlotte x

The ICP is unit 1 of the the full DHC (5 units in total including the ICP). The DHC is a level 3 qualification specific to childminding.