PDA

View Full Version : calpol... perscribed only

littlepixies
23-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Hi all, i went on a first aid refresher this weekeend to be notified that apparently as from spetember 2008 childminders can only give any sort of medicine including calpol if the medicine is perscribed by a doctor and it has a lable printed by the phamacy stating name of child, date, doseage as well as a slip signed for permisson from parents to give the prescribed medication!!!

Has any one else been told this i know of a few other childminders who have been on the eyfs course just letting them know what they are in for in sept. And they were also told this then.

I can totally understand the need for all other medication but not for calpol so all we can do if a child in our care comes down with a high temp and the parents are at work andthere is no one to collect child for say half hour and hr is damp them down with a wet cloth!!! what a joke.

sarah707
23-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Yes this is what is happening from Sept with EYFS ... there are other threads knocking about where we've discussed it and showed various levels of disgust!

We're hoping something might change in the EYFS revisions, which are due out soon!

:D

katickles
23-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Yeah - i noticed that the other day on another thread on here. I was suprised as I had no idea about this one. Seems crazy to me :panic:

buildingblocks
23-01-2008, 08:28 PM
I have recently had this discussion with a parent of mine. Her reply was well I will just go to the doctor and get you a bottle with the label on!!!!!!!!!!

Pipsqueak
24-01-2008, 09:35 AM
I could not see a child in distress if all they needed was a dose of oral paracetamol suspension (that is what our First Aid guy advised us to call it), to make the comfortable whilst mum/dad arrived.
So long as I had the permission from parents to adminster I cannot see what the problem is. This ruling is plain daft.

cherry
24-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Hi Guys

I belong to a Childminding committee and we discussed this last week and decided to ask Ofsted to confirm this matter.
I emailed them and they returned saying that they would pass this on to the correct department and get back to me.

So far I haven't heard anything! (what a surprise), but as soon as I do I will let the Forum know.

Cherry

Rubybubbles
24-01-2008, 10:55 AM
I have recently had this discussion with a parent of mine. Her reply was well I will just go to the doctor and get you a bottle with the label on!!!!!!!!!!

I laready follow this (Am I the only one)

so my parents did this on Friday when baby was ill:mad: knid of defets the point I think though! I wouldn't give my children meds then pack them off to school:angry:

louise
24-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Ok, What happens if say a parent had a prescribed bottle dispensed say last month for teething and then next month sends it back to you as kids had a bit of a cold. Now is that ok as in theory it was originally prescribed for a different condition awhile back??Im sure Drs will love the parents asking for a script for it.

Banana
24-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Who knows... good point though!!

I think its a ridiculous rule to bring in!

x

miffy
24-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Still think there will be some changes to come yet so not going to bother with this just yet but I can't see gps being happy if this takes up appointments or even just for a prescription

Miffy xx

nell57
24-01-2008, 01:24 PM
hi
hope changes do come, I tried explaining this rule to one of my parents and she was not happy, she works full time as do the majority and as miffy says gps are not going to be happy either

x helen

Rubybubbles
24-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Ok, What happens if say a parent had a prescribed bottle dispensed say last month for teething and then next month sends it back to you as kids had a bit of a cold. Now is that ok as in theory it was originally prescribed for a different condition awhile back??Im sure Drs will love the parents asking for a script for it.

good point!, I'm sure the parents would get bit cheesed off with me:(

deeb66
24-01-2008, 02:58 PM
I agree and hope that Ofsted will see sense and amend!

the problem is that statistically Calpol is one of the most abused drugs there is because people administer it all the time without the child really needing it and I think this is what Ofsted are trying to stop.

If we can just educate the parents that they shouldn't be pumping their kids full of calpol because the child is grumpy in the morning....or that if calpol has been administered then the child should stay at home - we will have achieved a big thing.

samw
24-01-2008, 07:27 PM
I think its crazy too, especially as they can have old bottles of the stuff with labels on.

Ive been told if a child develops a fever/high temperature, Im only allowed to strip their clothes off and keep them cool with cold water and ring the parent for them to come and collect.

Its mad!!

Sam x

deb24
30-01-2008, 09:34 PM
I asked my tutor on my DHC course if we can use herbal remedies instead.
The answer was a NO not even this.
My friend uses herbal teething sachets for her little one she says they are great.We can only use the coolers or cold bits of carrot or cucumber.
Maybe we should all record the children crying in pain and send it to Ofsted.They are not the ones that have got to listen to a poor child in pain.
Bet they would change there minds then LOL!

miffy
30-01-2008, 09:37 PM
I agree and hope that Ofsted will see sense and amend!

the problem is that statistically Calpol is one of the most abused drugs there is because people administer it all the time without the child really needing it and I think this is what Ofsted are trying to stop.

If we can just educate the parents that they shouldn't be pumping their kids full of calpol because the child is grumpy in the morning....or that if calpol has been administered then the child should stay at home - we will have achieved a big thing.

I agree with you Dee but think that will be an uphill struggle - how many of us have had a parent dose a child with calpol and send the child to us without a word - we only realise as the medicine wears off!

Miffy xx

avril
30-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Hi all

This is a bit cruel, are we just suposed to let a child suffer if in pain?:mad:
I agree that parents will not be happy working full time having to obtain perscriptions, but saying that a lot of local chemists here have what used to be called baby passport where the pharmacy can issue free calpol or minor medications and notify your doctor supposedly saving doctors time.

Avril :laughing:

crazybones
30-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Ive have used the baby passport with the chemist to get Calpol but sent husband to get Calpol for my 10 year old last week when he was shivering and burning up on couch and he came back saying they would not give it without seeing him first. So I sent him back to tell them I would not bring a sick child out in the pouring rain just to save £3.00 and we would just buy it. They then said on this occasion they would give it but in future would need to see the child.

Annie:mad:

sutherland
02-02-2008, 06:26 PM
I've just found this on the Bromley site........ they also have a sample medication policy form too...they class calpol as non pescribed medication along with kids nurofen etc

http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/eyfs/medicines.html

In Practice

Some babies do suffer more than others with teething or are prone to a higher number of colds.
No childminder would want to see a child suffer unnecessarily however it is important that you work to the Welfare Requirements.
The statutory guidance states should only accept medicines that have been prescribed. It would ideally be better to ask parents to get their GP to prescribe Calpol etc, however in practice it is sometimes difficult for working parents to get appointments easily and some Doctors are reluctant to prescribe medication that is available over the counter as it may have budget implications for their practice.

The Statutory Framework booklet contains
the following statement (page 20)’

Providers must comply with all the legal requirements set out and should have regard to the statutory guidance. Ofsted will base its regulatory and inspection judgements on whether a provider has met the general and specific legal requirements, and has had regard to the statutory guidance. This guidance gives examples of action providers are likely to have to take in order to meet the general and specific legal requirements; however, providers may be able to comply by using other methods, in which case they can depart from the statutory guidance provided that they are able to demonstrate that their alternative approach achieves the same ends’

We have understood this to read that Childminders can administer non prescription medication providing they have in place an effective policy and procedure to ensure the welfare of the child.

Also

The EYFS (statutory framework booklet, page 26) states that prescribed medicines should be kept in a locked, non-portable container. This is incorrect. Medicines which may be needed quickly in an emergency should not be locked away. We would be grateful if, in their work with settings, local authorities could make practitioners aware of this error.

Trouble
02-02-2008, 06:33 PM
I've just found this on the Bromley site........ they also have a sample medication policy form too...

http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/eyfs/medicines.html

In Practice

Some babies do suffer more than others with teething or are prone to a higher number of colds.
No childminder would want to see a child suffer unnecessarily however it is important that you work to the Welfare Requirements.
The statutory guidance states should only accept medicines that have been prescribed. It would ideally be better to ask parents to get their GP to prescribe Calpol etc, however in practice it is sometimes difficult for working parents to get appointments easily and some Doctors are reluctant to prescribe medication that is available over the counter as it may have budget implications for their practice.

The Statutory Framework booklet contains
the following statement (page 20)’

Providers must comply with all the legal requirements set out and should have regard to the statutory guidance. Ofsted will base its regulatory and inspection judgements on whether a provider has met the general and specific legal requirements, and has had regard to the statutory guidance. This guidance gives examples of action providers are likely to have to take in order to meet the general and specific legal requirements; however, providers may be able to comply by using other methods, in which case they can depart from the statutory guidance provided that they are able to demonstrate that their alternative approach achieves the same ends’

We have understood this to read that Childminders can administer non prescription medication providing they have in place an effective policy and procedure to ensure the welfare of the child.

Also

The EYFS (statutory framework booklet, page 26) states that prescribed medicines should be kept in a locked, non-portable container. This is incorrect. Medicines which may be needed quickly in an emergency should not be locked away. We would be grateful if, in their work with settings, local authorities could make practitioners aware of this error.

imagine if i had to put my epipen in a locked cupboard or an inhalaur:panic: :panic: what will they say next:panic:

deeb66
02-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Apparantly they will have finished making amendments to the EYFS and be reprinting the packs to allow for all changes that have been made by the end of March beginning of April.

I will wait until I get my sticky little hands on the new pack before I will decide what I will do!!

angeldelight
03-02-2008, 12:15 AM
It is all such a nightmare

I have had one mom complaining to me already about this - she said even if Ofsted say I am not allowed to give calpol with out it being prescribed she EXPECTS me to listen to her and not them and still give it

What a pain

Angel xx

crazybones
03-02-2008, 07:18 AM
:(

I have had one mom complaining to me already about this - she said even if Ofsted say I am not allowed to give calpol with out it being prescribed she EXPECTS me to listen to her and not them and still give it

What a pain

Angel xx

Same with me. Mum of 2 year old mindee wants me to treat her son same as I treat William (own son exactly same age bar 2 weeks) - not bother her with policies, give Calpol if I think necessary as he is cutting back teeth, just let her know when he had last dose so she can time him having a bedtime dose. She cant be bothered to sign medication forms as she "trusts me". Same with sticking a plaster on a bumped knee even if it isnt bleeding just because you know picking a plaster with a picture on is enough to stop them being upset. I agree with her and feel that being bound by all these policies is actually stopping me doing what I should be doing and caring for her child in the best way I can. It is unbearable to see a crying child and be tied up in red tape unable to do the simple things you know will help them.

Gosh I really upset myself then typing that. :(

Annie x

LittleMissSparkles
03-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Once we have clearer guidelines I was hoping to do a information letter for parents explaining the changes and what they mean for my setting, thats if I understand them of course !!!!

xxx

deeb66
03-02-2008, 03:59 PM

What a pain

Angel xx

What really worries me is that it will end up sending our profession backwards.

What will end up happening is that minders will go back to administering calpol etc and not logging it so that they are seen to be complying with the rules.

I really do hope that ofsted have taken on board all comments sent to them on this matter!