PDA

View Full Version : help... activity for mindee and son on inspction

Jules27
01-12-2008, 01:51 AM
please help!! I have my inspection either this week or next and am desperately tring to think of an activity to do while she is here. My son is 2 my mindee is almost 4. Problem is he only ever wants to do colouring, is inerested in power rangers and is forever asking for the telly to be on, i tell him its broken each week lol!!! :panic:

madasahatter
02-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Keep it simple, during my inspection yesterday mine were playing with musical instruments (both 2 yr olds) singing jingle bells (in their own way) as they've been practicing it for preschool concert (I had left the box of musical instruments and a pile of santa hats and 2 red cloaks in the lounge for them to find when we returned from preschool). We always have drawing things freely available and they dipped into them on and off. When they had an argument I diverted them by saying 'who wants to paint?' and they were both really enthusiastic, getting their aprons etc whilst I got out the paint - they chose what colours they wanted. Then they wanted to draw again but using ballpoint pens (can't think why there was one lying around as the inspector was using her laptop). One child told the inspector she was writing like mummy and then they wanted scissors. Everything was child led except the idea of painting, with me providing support and extensions as required. The inspector was very happy as the children were engrossed in activities they chose for themselves. I was able to support them and talk to the inspector as required.
Don't plan an activity specially for the inspection- it is guaranteed to go wrong LOL particularly as you will be distracted and very conscious of someone watching you
Does your mindee like painting, if he does maybe you could make a power rangers mask (paper plate, paint in his choice of colour) on the day?
Musical instruments and a christmas cd for them to join in with is good for this time of year particularly as he will probably be getting excited by the thought of christmas.

ps..I know how you feel....my tv is always broken too!! I turn it off at the socket where they can't see

carolinel
02-12-2008, 05:42 PM
good advice given there!

When i had my inspection i planned a craft activity which was making handbags from paper plates. the plates had already been cut and painted and the children were to stick on feathers, spangly bits and so on. my usually well behaved mindees saw the opportunity to "play up" and decided to throw feathers, spangly bits etc all over the playroom. i was horrified, how do i deal with this in front of 2 ofsted inspectors!!! obviously i did ok as i was given good.

I like the idea of just getting out musical instruments or dressing up, and letting child take the lead.

Good luck!

Gherkin
02-12-2008, 06:06 PM
I kept it really simple. I always have drawing materials out which mine all dipped in and out of. Then we had our puzzle basket out, then snack and then free play. Inspector was gone by lunch.