PDA

View Full Version : daily dairy

marion123
13-11-2008, 09:32 AM
a lot of people are doing these daily dairys what are you putting in them and do you give them to the parents every night to look at or are they just for us? do you put the six areas of learning in it and write about what they have done in these areas as i do this every week for myself i keep them in there folders hope this makes sense thank ladies:)

marion123
13-11-2008, 09:39 AM
i forget to mention i do weekly planning and every six weeks we do a new theme we also do a big activity once a month i write down what they do every week and also i write down how they did in the new theme every six weeks the big actity is also recorded but these are for there folders do i need to show these to the parents to thanks hope this makes sense

louised
13-11-2008, 09:40 AM
The daily diaries I do, contain a snapshot of what the child has done during the day, what they have enjoyed, if they have eaten well and if they have had a sleep. I do not link it to the EYFS. I try to include a photo at least once a week of some activity they were involved in. The diary stays in the childs bag and so far it has been returned every day.

marion123
13-11-2008, 09:45 AM
thank you:)

Andrea08
13-11-2008, 10:08 AM
im looking at the children's diary now,,,

it was printed by my LA and contains the following;-

1st page important info to fill in.
next an explanation to parents what EYFS IS and how this diary helps with partnership and info sharing etc and the 6 areas of learning.
then there are pages with the word DATE twice and room for us to fill in notes on the childs day. i also add photoes,
and very 7pages ie 2weeks there are spaces to add observations and planning ;-

PSED, I am starting to, i am practising,,,,I can now do.......

for all 6 areas of learning,
then planns;-

i am working towards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

WHAT IVE BEEN INTERESTED IN/DOING AT HOME.......(parent/carers comments)

and if a parent writes something in this space then your doing well coz my parents have done nothing and one just leaves the book at home sometimes!

so we have to back it up with our own file as the diarys just get lost and all our work down d drain..

when i take photoes of activities i have to make copies;-
x1= childs diary
x1= my observations
x1= our scrap book display

this is why paperwork is takeing over my life if only i just did one and not all the above also i have to do my diary and ncma accounts and register etc
i find im repeating myself and if mrs ofsted reads all 3rys of work ill eat my nickers so i often think its a waist of time that could be better spent sat on the rug playing dollie dress up with my mindees.

oh sorry i went on a bit there so to answer your question
YES I DO A CHILDRENS DIARY LOL
x

marion123
13-11-2008, 10:11 AM
thank you very much for that its a great help:clapping:

sarah707
13-11-2008, 11:02 AM
I think Andrea is describing what I would call the child's learning journey which is an ongoing record of learning and development following the 6 areas of the Eyfs and focussing on observations, assessments and planning for the child's next steps...

I think of a daily diary more as a daily note to parents of what children have done with me... what they have eaten, when they slept, high points of their activities, notes about nappies etc...

Hope this makes sense :D

Andrea08
13-11-2008, 11:09 AM
I think Andrea is describing what I would call the child's learning journey which is an ongoing record of learning and development following the 6 areas of the Eyfs and focussing on observations, assessments and planning for the child's next steps...

I think of a daily diary more as a daily note to parents of what children have done with me... what they have eaten, when they slept, high points of their activities, notes about nappies etc...

Hope this makes sense :D

hi sarah, i only wish this was the learning journey, but i have that in a separate file so it wont get lost, this diary is set out like this to show parents more indeapthe what the children are doing etc not just meals n nappies and to be honest sarah im finding it all a little confusing and hard work to keep up as its not one but 4 children and 3 over 8's with just quick notes,

i wish it was just one file for each child and thats it. (ps your web site is wellcool im looking again l8r )x

marion123
13-11-2008, 11:46 AM
thanks ladies :)

sarah707
13-11-2008, 11:50 AM
hi sarah, i only wish this was the learning journey, but i have that in a separate file so it wont get lost, this diary is set out like this to show parents more indeapthe what the children are doing etc not just meals n nappies and to be honest sarah im finding it all a little confusing and hard work to keep up as its not one but 4 children and 3 over 8's with just quick notes,

i wish it was just one file for each child and thats it. (ps your web site is wellcool im looking again l8r )x

:eek:

I think you need to simpify things! Sounds like you are doing waaaaaaaay too much writing!

Has someone said you have to do it this way...? Because they are wrong.

There is no prescribed way of doing the Eyfs.

You must do it in the best way for you and getting burnout before Christmas doesn't sound like it's suiting you, does it??

Do you ever get a chance to play?? :(

loocyloo
13-11-2008, 12:41 PM
hi, each little one has an A5 ring binder and each day i write on a new piece of paper; what they ate, when they slept, any nappy changes etc and then a sort of running commentary on what we did during the day. i write it from the childs point of view ie ... today we walked the big children to school, on the way i waved at the bus driver. he waved back. at home i sorted out all the duplo bricks and built towers with each colour. X and i helped to cut the fruit for snack ....

my parents seem to like it (occaisonally i add a comment about something helping numeracy skills or whatever) and all bar one, parents have always returned it! i ask them to bring it each day as it helps me remember routines etc, esp for the little ones! i put photos in as well (and being a ring binder, i can put them next to the right day!) sometimes art examples go in too. i do ask parents to write as well, but none ever do!

i've always kept daily diaries for children, even when i was a nanny, so i don't really think about it at all, its always been part of my routine to scribble a few things down throughout the day. sometimes we have a busy day, and then i write it when they have gone home, and i put it in the next day!

when the binders are full, i take out all the pages, and put a cover on them, and tie them nicely with ribbon. the parents then keep them. the parents all say the children enjoy looking at their pictures etc, and one old mindee has taken hers to school to show what she did as a baby!!!

xxx

hillbilly
13-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Each of my little ones has a daily diary, which is a notebook just for them. Each day I write about what the child has done, sleep patterns, food etc. If the child has done a painting, I stick it in, and if I get chance when they are all asleep (like now!) I print off photos of the day and stick them in too. Down the margin I write how the activity relfects the EYFS, so might have CD, next to the but about a painting iyswim. In the front of the book, I have written the abreviations for the EYFS learning goals ( PD=physical dev etc) so the parents know what im on about! This book goes home every night and the parents often write in it too, so for example, one parent today has written that M had a busy day with dads birthday yesterday, so I knew he may be tired today! I also do a file for each child with their learning journeys in, paintings, art work, notes, observations etc. This stays with me though, and parents can see it whenever they want.

Hope this helps

berkschick
13-11-2008, 03:32 PM
My daily diaries are just little notebooks where I write an overview in after each session. The book stays in the childs bag and goes home with them. One parent writes back in it to me. It covers what we have done that day, sleeps, food eaten etc. If I need more nappies or wipes then I note it in there too.

I keep learning journals here which are more indepth and linked to the EYFS which parents are aware of and welcome to view anytime they wish.

marion123
13-11-2008, 08:50 PM
thats is a great help thank you i will start on monday for a new week :)