PDA

View Full Version : when to start christmas

mushpea
12-11-2008, 12:40 PM
just wonded when everyone started to do christmas acitvitys and crafts with their children, I was going to start the first week of december but not sure if this leaves it to late to fit stuff in

Twinkles
12-11-2008, 12:46 PM
It's a good idea to start a bit earlier if you have after schoolers and/or a lot of part timers.
I went to a garden centre last week to look at the decorations with a couple of mindees and they had an animated display which they loved.
I had three on INSET day yesterday and after a long walk in the morning we settled down to watch 'Polar Express' in the afternoon ( one of my favourites ).
In fact i said to the parents yesterday 'It's about now I start winding them up for Christmas ' :laughing:
Half the fun is the anticipation.

mrsb
12-11-2008, 01:42 PM
I started making xmas cards last week:blush: :clapping:

mushpea
12-11-2008, 01:51 PM
ok so maybe i am not organized enough!!!!!:blush:

i have fulltimers part timers and after schoolers so i guess i'd better start soon then

sarah707
12-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Don't forget there are lots of opportunities for multicultural celebrations through December as well as Christmas.

Find out what the children are celebrating at home and consider ...

Advent - celebrate the start of Christmas

The legend of Babushka - the Russian lady who missed the birth of Jesus because she was busy

Christingle - make decorated oranges

Eid ul-Adha - Muslims remember Abraham's biblical sacrifice

Our Lady of Guadalupe - children will enjoy the story of the Virgin Mary and the magical roses

Hanukkah - explore oils and remember the miracle of the temple

Kwanzaa - this is an African celebration of culture, music and food

Omisoka - Japanese celebration

St Lucia’s Day - the patron Saint of Sweden

St Nicholas’ Day - the Saint believed to be Father Christmas

Enjoy! :D

mushpea
14-11-2008, 01:18 PM
wow thanks didn't realize there were all those going on aswell, new a few of them but wow!

RachelE
14-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Personally, I wont be doing anything until at least the beginning of December.

Christmas is hyped up enough, the meaning lost etc.

I know, I'm a bah humbug!

Rachel x

Angela234
14-11-2008, 05:59 PM
I must start next week as 3 mindees are teachers children from a private school and they break up 11th Dec and i don;t have them in the holidays

I haven't evan thought what were doing yet calenders i can't decide on last year we made some lovely ones marbling ink frames with photo in and laminated them they looked great best wev;e done yet.

Angela

miss mopple
14-11-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm starting next week as some of mine finish mid Dec too.

Quite looking forward to it :D

MissTinkerbell
16-11-2008, 05:43 PM
I've got Ofsted on the 25th November so I intend to start after that. My own are hyped up enough without me starting Christmas crafts this soon!

PixiePetal
16-11-2008, 06:23 PM
I am starting tomorrow. With winter tied in too. Got part timers so not many sessions to do stuff.

zoex
17-11-2008, 02:01 PM
i am starting nxt week. but i go on maternity leave on the 11th of dec so i doing it early :)
i only got 2 part timers so i dont have many children to get through

Mags
17-11-2008, 02:13 PM
I am going to start next week just to make sure i can fit enough in around other things that the children may want to do :))

christine e
17-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Personally, I wont be doing anything until at least the beginning of December.

Christmas is hyped up enough, the meaning lost etc.

I know, I'm a bah humbug!

Rachel x

I'm with you on this one begining of December is when I will start on activities for Christmas

Cx

emmadines
25-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Don't forget there are lots of opportunities for multicultural celebrations through December as well as Christmas.

Find out what the children are celebrating at home and consider ...

Advent - celebrate the start of Christmas

The legend of Babushka - the Russian lady who missed the birth of Jesus because she was busy

Christingle - make decorated oranges

Eid ul-Adha - Muslims remember Abraham's biblical sacrifice

Our Lady of Guadalupe - children will enjoy the story of the Virgin Mary and the magical roses

Hanukkah - explore oils and remember the miracle of the temple

Kwanzaa - this is an African celebration of culture, music and food

Omisoka - Japanese celebration

St Lucia’s Day - the patron Saint of Sweden

St Nicholas’ Day - the Saint believed to be Father Christmas

Enjoy! :D
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Im sorry its made me giggle! Ive never heard of this!

emmadines
25-11-2008, 04:47 PM
I forgot to say, I am going to start with making snowflakes today with a colured center and then I will move onto christmas stuff as I only have them till the 19th as schoold brake up early and its only week days soooooooooo

awwwwww I want toi put my decs up!!!!!! other half wont let me!:angry:

fiona
25-11-2008, 06:03 PM
now i'm going to sound really bad.... i will not be doing Xmas until.....13th dec... my tree will go up and then i have things for my mindees to do till they break up on the 19th!! there is a reason though... my youngests birthday is the 8th and i always said my house would be xmas free till it's over with, my oldest doesn't have to share her birthday so why should the youngest! i've explained this to my parents who all agree and think xmas goes on for to long any way!!!! so i only have a week of cotton wool, glue, glitter and red feathers hehe....!!!!!

miffy
25-11-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm with you on this one begining of December is when I will start on activities for Christmas

Cx

Same here - although mindees did start without me!!!! Decided they were making Christmas cards last night :)

No "proper" crafts until next week though

Miffy xx

mushpea
28-11-2008, 02:02 PM
in the end i decided to start this week because some of the children finish with me the 11th dec and I only have one child in the hols as the others are term time only and due to the fact we have toddler groups and other things to do in the day we only get a couple of hours for messy stuff anyway.
my parnter won't let me put the decos up yet either so the kids did green hand prints and i made them in to achristmas tree and each day we make a decoration to hang on the tree. this way they can't pull the tree on their heads and hurt themselves either.:rolleyes:

Minnie mouse
28-11-2008, 02:21 PM
I will be starting my christmas plans on Monday the 1st. I was hoping to put the tree up then aswell but looks like im gonna have to wait til ofsted have been first :mad: