PDA

View Full Version : how long does the whole process take?

sorrel
07-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Hi i'm only just beginning the process of becoming a registered childminder (1 st pre reg meeting tommorrow, and the 2nd the week after) how long does it usually take to become registered, most people have told me between 3 - 6 months, is this accurate, how long did it take you guys? I already have an enhanced disclosure as i am currently a mananger of day nursery, so will i need to do another one? my husband neeeds one though, is it the crb forms that can hold the process up??
be greatful of any feedback and advice xx

tulip0803
07-11-2008, 08:11 PM
How long it will take depends on a lot of things. Where you are is one. How quickly you can get on an ICP course is another.

Spangles
07-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Unfortunately it's not a question you can give a quantifiable answer too.

As has been said, there are too many variations to be taken into account.

Sorry - not very helpful!

singlewiththree
07-11-2008, 09:54 PM
To register you need
Pediatric first aid
Enhanced CRB you will need a new one
and to complete the introduction to childcare course withint 6mths of registering.
Hubbys CRB

To start with if you have the first aid already you are on to a winner as that seems to be the sticking point, actually getting on to a funded course and in some areas you MUST complete the ICP BEFORE they will give you the ofsted application!

Once you have had your first aid and done your ICP then you will usually be offered a preinspection with the local council, they will tell you anything that needs to changing or doing in your house for safety reasons to childmind. They usually give you the ofsted form. You then complete that and send it off, giving your GP the health declaration to complete and post and ofsted ring and make an appointment for their pre-inspection to take place and send you the CRB form for you to fill in. When ofsted come to inspect they go through the CRB with you and take it with them. It then becomes the waiting game some people here have had their certificate through in a matter of weeks others its been months while they wait for the CRB to come back.

I'm at the stage of the ofsted preinspection but am hoping to be registered by end of Jan09 at the latest. I started the ICP and first aid in Sept08.

Good luck

Hebs
07-11-2008, 10:19 PM
i'm same as Paula, started ICP and first aid in september now got forms for ofsted which i need to get sent off then its a case ofwaiting for CRB and inspection, hoping to be ready to go in Jan 09 :thumbsup:

so that'll be 5 months

roseybev
08-11-2008, 12:01 AM
in north lankershire in scotland it been taking anything from 6 months to 9 months to do all from start to finish and even then dont think you get kids straight away :(

don the duck
08-11-2008, 09:07 PM
In sandwell i did my course july and just became registered. just got to wait for my insurance now to come.

Regarding my first aid. i found my own and local childminding services paid for it for me.
so worth looking in to

berkschick
08-11-2008, 10:26 PM
It took me 4 months from start to finish.

Mollymop
08-11-2008, 10:42 PM
I don;t wanna scare you, so please don't be put off - it all depends how they do thing in your area.

In mine we had to do all the course first before they would let us apply to ofsted 0 and then in turn ofsted sent off my CRB form.

I went on my first pre-reg meeting in the September (which took me from June to get on) then the course started in the October - finished in December - Then got our ofsted application forms/crb forms in the January. Ofsted came out to me to do my pre reg inspection on the 1st of Feb - was registered right at the end of April.

So it took from June (first signing up to the course) till April = 10 months.

Or from starting the courses - Sept 07 till April 08 = 7 months.

Do you have to do all the courses first before they let you apply to ofsted?

Some areas are lucky to let you sign up with ofsted while you are doing all your courses, which is quicker.

You will have to have a new CRB check done, yes. xxx

kez
10-11-2008, 10:55 AM
well so far i have been waiting since may, i still havnt got onto a ICP course carnt get on til jan and got my firts aid booked for end of novmber, carnt send any form off to ofsted until i complted my first aid so far ive been waiting just over 5 months??? and not expected to be qualified until the earliest end of march as i know CRB can take 12 weeks and carnt send that off until after first aid?? so i think it depbneds where you live and how quick you can get on the courses???