PDA

View Full Version : Immunisation -procedure

emile1973
05-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Hi there

I would be really interested to know what other minders do regarding a child attending after going for immunisations.
My 12mth old is going for immunisations tomorrow and then in 2 weeks time MMR
What does everyone do regarding taking child afterwards. I have asked a couple of my minding friends and one doesnt have the child back for 24hrs and the other takes them back straight away.
She is having them tomorrow afternoon.

Not sure what to do
Thanks in advance
Emma x

Chatterbox Childcare
05-11-2008, 10:08 PM
I would expect mum to administer some calpol before the immunisation and then I would be happy to take them back.

I would ask mum for the jabs to be done in the morning so that we could have some quiet time together before school runs and hopefully child will settle.

In my experience, different jabs and different children can be different so you never know what to expect.

I seem to take mine for their jabs more often than not so they stay with me anyway.

After reading this I don't think I have helped.

emile1973
05-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks Debbie
The Mum just turned up today and said the littleone would be with me til one tomorrow and then off to docs...didn't have much say really.

I will put something inmy policies but dont want to be unreasonable
Emma x

angeldelight
06-11-2008, 07:55 AM
I do more or less the same as Debbie

I have never had any problems

Angel xx

tashaleee
06-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Im probably going to be in the minority here :blush:

I actually have a 48 hour exclusion policy - aimed in particular at the MMR. So far all my parents have been more than happy to comply with this and all have a copy of the policy in their parent pack. I dont very often have any children on a Friday afternoon, so in theory if they had their immunisations on a Friday they would be all clear to come back to me on the Monday.

One of my mindees recently had the MMR and actually had a mild 'viral' infection the following day which lasted for several days. Without the exclusion I feel I may have put the other children at risk in my setting who were not immunised.

If the parents state their surgery will only do an injection on a certain day they can explain that their childminder cannot comply and the surgery will then do the immunisation another time.

HTH

Porridge
06-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Sorry, It's late and I'm probably missing something very obvious!! but what is the issue here? Is it that the child may need medicine? Or that they could potentially react? Be ill? I'm honestly not being funny, but a couple of weeks ago one of my mindees mum's told me the night before that baby had MMR booked so would be late following day. She had calpol before she came to me, and I gave her a dose later on, obvously documented and signed for. Am I missing something??xx