PDA

View Full Version : Treasure Baskets Query

singlewiththree
24-10-2008, 06:37 AM
Hello, I've searched the forum and re-read all the treasure basket threads as I'm now at the stage of putting one together. I'm borrowing my nephew (4mths) to try it out and I must say we were both shocked by what goes in . Doesnt the child just put everything in their mouths? My nephew does and very very close supervision would be required, how do you then look after the other children if you cant take your eyes of the child playing with the basket?

Paula

sarah707
24-10-2008, 06:58 AM
You have to pick your time to use them ... so you can fully supervise the child and you are watching all the time. Have your phone in your pocket so you don't need to get up.

The child should be sitting - so around 6 to 9 months is ideal.

Yes everything goes in the child's mouth - that is part of learning and if you provide safe things, then it's fine. Just make sure nothing can be choked on and everything has rounded edges. Then, when the session is finished, get the child to help you put stuff away because that's part of the whole experience and later wash / put through the dishwasher etc to ensure it's all clean for the next time.

Here is some nice information -

http://www.peep.org.uk/standard.asp?id=300

Hth :D

angeldelight
24-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Yes Paula I would wait another month or so depending on the childs development

My grandson loves my basket and he is five and half months and sits so its much easier
Everything goes into his mouth and I just make sure every item is large so the babys can not swallow them

Some of the things that are suggested I dont use - I think some are silly for a baby and you would not want them to put certain things in their mouth

I think its just about common sense really

Finding a way around things - so when you have other children its best maybe to do this when they are always sitting down doing something at the same time

Hope the little one enjoys

Angel xx

Pudding Girl
24-10-2008, 08:16 AM
my 6mo mindee loves his, even though he cant sit I put it on the floor and tip it up so he can get to it. He is occupied for ages, much more than with flashy bits of bleeping plastic :rolleyes:

There's nothing in it that could be classed as a cholking hazard, there are pletny of things you cna use without having to have dangerous stuff in, just choose it carefully.

tulip0803
24-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Treasure baskets are normally recommended from about 5 months.

Putting objects in their mouths is a totally normal part of development. The mouth is the most sensitve part of a small baby and by putting something in their mouth they are feeling, tasteing and smelling the object. It is an essential part of learning and should not be discouraged in babies.

The objects in a treasure basket all feel different in the mouth which is why it holds the attention. Plastic toys tend to be all smooth and feel the same.

You should always supervise small children playing with anything. Treasure baskets make an ideal opportunity for observation. Just make sure that all the objects are large enough not to be a choking hazard:D

littlestar
24-10-2008, 03:12 PM
i have a colour theme and my tresure basket is all one colour but diff objects and material i only put suitable size objects in it and if there small and i cant supervise one on one ill take that object out it kills 2 birds with one stone child developement and colour of the month the inspector loved it when she inspected i would reconmmend it :)

PaulaR
24-10-2008, 04:17 PM
thank you for sharing your treaure basket ideas. I had always avoided them for the little ones because they put everything in their mouth but now, I am looking at it differently

Pudding Girl
24-10-2008, 05:22 PM
thank you for sharing your treaure basket ideas. I had always avoided them for the little ones because they put everything in their mouth but now, I am looking at it differently

yeah thats the point of them :) I'm going to redo my TB this weekend in all wooden things.

wendywu
24-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Had the treasure basket out today for a new 6 month old. They all played with it right up to the 7 year olds :panic:

danast
24-10-2008, 08:37 PM
sorry to be a bit thick but can somebody tell what goes in treasure basket?
I would love to make one.

crazybones
24-10-2008, 08:54 PM
sorry to be a bit thick but can somebody tell what goes in treasure basket?
I would love to make one.

Look on the link on Sarah's reply above and it gives some great ideas. :thumbsup: