why is it not sinking in??

:(

Trouble
15-10-2008, 08:35 PM
i keep asking myself the same thing:panic:

Hebs
15-10-2008, 08:38 PM
i'm so glad it's not just me :thumbsup:

but i'm really really worried about how i'll get through my inspection to become a childminder if i have NO idea what i'm talking about

sarah707
15-10-2008, 08:59 PM
You will know a lot more than you think you do just by reading on here :D

Hebs
15-10-2008, 09:19 PM
i hope so cos i'm honestly thinking of giving up :(

i don't want to as i have kids waiting for me to qualify

Trouble
15-10-2008, 09:22 PM
dont give up it will come together

i learned the 6 areas of learning first i will look at the rest another time

Hebs
15-10-2008, 09:27 PM
i only have 2 more nights at college (tomorrow and next week) and my first aid starts next week, so i'll be ready to send forms off to ofsted by the end of october :eek: and have been told they call out within 10 days.

i'm so close but feel so far from understanding it all if that makes sense?

Mrs M
16-10-2008, 09:19 AM
My understanding of the EYFS is that we are observing, recording and planning for children's development. It's only what you'd do with your own child apart from this way we need to record it and have evidence of things if you like. You need to ensure you have the right resources for the age group you're caring for, that they have access to resources that you may not have i.e. trips to parks, farms, toddler groups. If you can, take photos of children taking part in certain activities such as painting, play dough, gloop, playing instruments and then use those photos to help you write up your ob using a basic ob form which can either be downloaded from various sites or you can make your own up. Having an understanding of the six areas of learning and development is certainly where I'd begin and then learn how to link your obs to one or more of the areas. Start slow and build up. Practice before you start working. I do about five photo obs per month per child and then a few non-photo ones for when I didn't have my camera handy. The main point is that your days should be as much child-led as possible and that they are learning through play. Therefore, you are allowing children to make choices. Give them the resources and see what they do with them. Help them when they need help. My son just told me to go on the computer as he was happy playing with his friend! Lots and lots of fun to be had, a fair bit of paperwork but the best job in the world.

Hebs
16-10-2008, 11:45 AM
:thumbsup: THANKS EMMA

that has helped so much. seeing it in simple terms, so basically we are just doing what we've done with our own kids, teaching them in a fun way that covers all the areas of learning, and documenting it as evidence??

I have been collecting dressing up clothes, Dr's, Nurses, Fairys, Police officer, and a muslim outfit so far :clapping:

shall i do a display to show ofsted what other items/toys i'm planning on buying once approved i.e swing set arts and crafts books etc?? so they can see how much i've thought it through?

I'm feeling much more positive today :D

PixiePetal
16-10-2008, 12:36 PM
It a good idea to have a 'Wish List' of things you might like as your business grows, shows you have thought about it.

Also so you can add age/stage appropriate toys/equipment as you get mindees.

I have been minding 14 years and still have a wish list ! :D

Jen