PDA

View Full Version : A letter to a nursery

cher25
14-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi, i've just started looking after a 3 year old who attends nursery. I want to write a letter to inform them who i am and to try and work alongside them, as so many of you are doing, or trying to.
But i am totally useless when it comes to writing official type letter's. Anyone got any idea's how i can start the letter? And what should i be saying in it? I really haven't got a clue.lol

CCJD
15-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Sarahnev did a lovely introduction for a letter like this some time back and I stole some of my letter from her - it was just so well put. My letter looks like this:

Dear

As I am sure you are aware, from 1st September 2008 with the legal ratification of the EYFS, there is an expectation from Ofsted, that all settings attended by a child will work together for the good of the child, using the EYFS.

I look after .........who also attends your setting and her parents have given me permission for a 2 way flow of information between you and me, so that we can share details of .... learning journey.

You may not have yet considered this additional expectation from Ofsted, or formulated any ideas of how you wished to incorporate this into your setting, however I thought as a starting point that if we could simply confirm which set of early years goals we are working towards and also if you carry out themed topics, which topics you are planning to cover in the next year together with a time frame. This will ensure that I can either expand on the experiences she has with your nursery or ensure that there is no unnecessary overlap.

Our first theme of September will be “all about me” and maybe sharing a copy of this (if you do a similar activity) would be a beneficial inclusion into her learning plans in both settings.

I understand that your planning needs to incorporate many more children than mine and in all likelihood it is my plans that will alter around yours however I have provided the following for your information for your records – which will hopefully satisfy Ofsted Inspectors when you have your next inspection:

I am currently devising a learning journey where the EYFS goals for 40-60 months are being measured. I have found during her time with me that....has already achieved the majority of EYFS goals for 30-50 months and it therefore makes sense from a planning point of view to work towards the next bracket up.

Being a childminding setting, with limited children, we have the luxury to be very flexible with our activities and they are often therefore very child interest led. I do however plan a flexible framework of themes within which we find activities to interest and stimulate the children. The following years themes are currently set (although of course this subject to change.)

September All About Me
October Transport
November Fireworks
December Christmas
January Winter
February People Who Help Us
March Easter
April Spring
May Butterflies
June Farms
July Summer
August Seaside

Should you wish to discuss any aspect of this with me, please do not hesitate to contact either by email or phone:

Yours sincerely

For Parent to Complete:

I ..............agree to the sharing of information between .............and ................ Pre- School with regard to ..................and their delivery of the EYFS.

Signed:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfotunately the only repsonse I got back was that they would email me in on any letters that are sent to the parents (boy did they not get the point of this!!!!!) I will however try again and keep both letters in her learning journey to prove to Ofsted that I have made effort and to mark the card of that nursery that they are definitely not.

Good luck!!!!

conniepawprint
15-10-2008, 12:24 PM
my advise is dont bother lol . the nursery i should work with do not want to now they say if they spoke to everyone of their children that is looked after by other people they would have to employ extra staff. so with that attitued i am doing my own thing and if it clashes then thats tough

cher25
15-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Sarahnev did a lovely introduction for a letter like this some time back and I stole some of my letter from her - it was just so well put. My letter looks like this:

Dear

As I am sure you are aware, from 1st September 2008 with the legal ratification of the EYFS, there is an expectation from Ofsted, that all settings attended by a child will work together for the good of the child, using the EYFS.

I look after .........who also attends your setting and her parents have given me permission for a 2 way flow of information between you and me, so that we can share details of .... learning journey.

You may not have yet considered this additional expectation from Ofsted, or formulated any ideas of how you wished to incorporate this into your setting, however I thought as a starting point that if we could simply confirm which set of early years goals we are working towards and also if you carry out themed topics, which topics you are planning to cover in the next year together with a time frame. This will ensure that I can either expand on the experiences she has with your nursery or ensure that there is no unnecessary overlap.

Our first theme of September will be “all about me” and maybe sharing a copy of this (if you do a similar activity) would be a beneficial inclusion into her learning plans in both settings.

I understand that your planning needs to incorporate many more children than mine and in all likelihood it is my plans that will alter around yours however I have provided the following for your information for your records – which will hopefully satisfy Ofsted Inspectors when you have your next inspection:

I am currently devising a learning journey where the EYFS goals for 40-60 months are being measured. I have found during her time with me that....has already achieved the majority of EYFS goals for 30-50 months and it therefore makes sense from a planning point of view to work towards the next bracket up.

Being a childminding setting, with limited children, we have the luxury to be very flexible with our activities and they are often therefore very child interest led. I do however plan a flexible framework of themes within which we find activities to interest and stimulate the children. The following years themes are currently set (although of course this subject to change.)

September All About Me
October Transport
November Fireworks
December Christmas
January Winter
February People Who Help Us
March Easter
April Spring
May Butterflies
June Farms
July Summer
August Seaside

Should you wish to discuss any aspect of this with me, please do not hesitate to contact either by email or phone:

Yours sincerely

For Parent to Complete:

I ..............agree to the sharing of information between .............and ................ Pre- School with regard to ..................and their delivery of the EYFS.

Signed:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfotunately the only repsonse I got back was that they would email me in on any letters that are sent to the parents (boy did they not get the point of this!!!!!) I will however try again and keep both letters in her learning journey to prove to Ofsted that I have made effort and to mark the card of that nursery that they are definitely not.

Good luck!!!!

Hi Thank you for sending that letter, i mentioned the working together at the nursery today, as i had spotted a letter they had on the wall addressed to parents/carers, asking for them to fill in some forms to contribute towards the child's learning journeys. However when i mentioned it the women didn't seem to know what i was talking about, either that or she wasn't interested. She said she would talk to another teacher and get back to me. Think ill sort the letter out and send it in anyway.