PDA

View Full Version : Paper work on the computer.

Kat
09-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi all,

I asked before but I will ask again :

How many of you have paper work on the computer?
I know that contract, child record of attendance, child info reg doctor, any papers with parents signature has to be on paper and in files but what about all rest like:
cleaning rota
temp check :littleangel:
risk assessment in and out and all other which dont need anybody signature and is mostly for you or Ofsted?

And what about observation form, assessment and planning????

I saw on forum discusion reg registration under act???I will probably give the a call but may be somebody here has own experiance with all paperwork and comp?
I really dont feel like printing all of this every week I dont have space to store :) :idea:

Kat

sarah707
09-10-2008, 01:16 PM
The regulations relate to personal information about children or thier families.

If you are not sure you should ring and check

Pauline
09-10-2008, 01:17 PM
I only keep the templates on the computer and print them off to fill in.

Otherwise it would be very difficult to show Ofsted during an inspection as you wouldn't want to be sat round the computer with them.

Kat
09-10-2008, 01:30 PM
So you actually thinking that it is not really good idea to have all of this only i the computer?
Kat

mimo
09-10-2008, 03:30 PM
must admit i had thought about having the obs on the computer to save on ink you could then rut it on a disc as a record for the parents when they leave you could also use video recordings rather than photos in the obs .It would also save a huge amount of ink. Dpont know though what ofsted would think

Silverrose
09-10-2008, 03:53 PM
i know what u mean by space, its crazy with the amont of paper work. I was thinking about doing it all paper free, but then i rembered when my computer went funny one day for no reson and all my files and work in side them were scaterd all around the computer, and im still finding the odd photogragh ect in totaly unexpeted links. lucky it was just after i finished my art&photo course. so i now save on a large memary box and print complet pages for safty.

Andrea08
09-10-2008, 04:01 PM
sorry but what about the DATA PROTECTION ACT
if you use a PC for any information on children and/or families, or use a digital camera (if you delete or save to disc even)then we have to register and it £35 year every year.

sorry im sure most of you have heard of this or already registered but i only just fund out not sure if i want to register?

mimo
09-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Blimey i hadnt even heard of that before .That makes it a pain and makes it quite expensive for us if we want to use digital cameras . i will have to look into that.:rolleyes:

Silverrose
09-10-2008, 04:09 PM
the computer has not internet cornetion so it should be fine (i think)
as for ££ for reg ur self - yes this is what u have to do to become a childminder but this covers u for the year, don't forget u don't need to get the reg sorted till u are ready. as long as u have the course & frist aid complet, then all u need to do is be sure u wish to start, then u can get the ball rolling. i hope that make sence
sorry do u mean a different charge for holding images or persnal info on computer, coz i am new and not hear of that my self?:eek:

Kat
09-10-2008, 05:23 PM
I will put password on my windows etc so computer will be secure internet conection is secure as I have fire wall and a least 2 virus programs...
but I dont want to make Ofsted unhappy and my grade down ?
to whom shell I call to check if ofsted will be happy with all this? Ofsted?

To be honest it is easier for me have everything on paper but I dont have space to keep it and all this ink... I am a bit green person...

K

Silverrose
09-10-2008, 05:30 PM
u should have contact number of someone of ur course coz each aera has a different person(teacher), try that way,
thats what i've just got. im in manchester if u are to i ve got salfords ones.
sorry cant be any more help. good luck sweet

don the duck
28-11-2008, 11:42 AM
i was thinking the same iv juts had a netbook. just for my childminding. as my hubby sometimes uses mine and so will the children. so have a spare one just for my use only.

i was thinking of doing a back up.. paper and netbook.... i used to run a play group and i called about data protection and was told i should be ok, but have contacted them again -

as u all know when ur looking for a certain file u can never find it, so have a back up. and regarding paper work storing it would benefit.

i have made a permission slip for my parents to sign so they are awhere i store info on a netbook.. as most of us store it in a way as we strt by doing there on lap tops. pc. and then we print it off..

anyone correct me if im wrong.

Mrs.L.C
11-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Do you think attendance records could be done on computer if you only use the first name of the child?

wendywu
11-02-2009, 04:56 PM
If you have any personal details of the children on your computer then Ofsted have the right to take your computer away if they need to during a complaint.:(

Mrs.L.C
11-02-2009, 05:09 PM
If you have any personal details of the children on your computer then Ofsted have the right to take your computer away if they need to during a complaint.:(

Never thought of it like that. Maybe not a good idea then

peanuts
11-02-2009, 05:15 PM
keep templates on comp then print off when needed

Mollymop
11-02-2009, 05:15 PM
I only keep the templates on the computer and print them off to fill in.

Otherwise it would be very difficult to show Ofsted during an inspection as you wouldn't want to be sat round the computer with them.

I am the same as D'boss x

wendywu
11-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Yes i store all my templates and just alter them or print them off when needed.:)

The Juggler
11-02-2009, 10:59 PM
I keep all mine on the computer and use the EYFS database from Childsplay.com to update each child's learning journey. I had to register but for £35/year it saves a lot of space and paper.

i've passworded all my docs and I back up on a memory stick regularly.

Nikki

rickysmiths
11-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Do you think attendance records could be done on computer if you only use the first name of the child?

If you keep this ont he computer only how does the parent sign it each week as it is good practice to do. How to yoy grab it if you have to evacuate in an emergency?

Chatterbox Childcare
11-02-2009, 11:20 PM

I don't think that this is correct. Ofsted have no legal right - they would have to involve the police and prove their need.

Ofsted are only a regulator