PDA

View Full Version : 24hr Proxy Guardian / Parent????

lknight1976
01-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Hi everyone!
I have heard about 24 hr proxy guardians ect.. I do overnights and charge £30 flat fee but if someone asks if i do all day and night how much should i charge as this is normally on a saturady or sunday??
And for how long can one be a proxy? I read somewhere that no more than 7 days, if not its a social service thing...Help does anyone know for sure?!?? Thanks SOOOO much! Laura

sarah707
01-10-2008, 04:48 PM
I suggest you contact Ofsted as these are specific and quite complex questions not answered in the Eyfs.

You can contact Ofsted by phone - 08456 404040

However, for something like this it's best to get the answer in writing -

enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk

Hope this helps :D

lknight1976
01-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi:
I'll call now! Thanks, Laura

JoeBloggs
01-10-2008, 05:49 PM
not 100% on the answer to this one, but i do know that in regards to social care esque settings, permenant care can only be provided for 28 days before it can be classed as foster care, however as stated give them a quick call and i'm sure they can find something more concrete!

let us know the answer you get :)

lknight1976
01-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Hi: Just called, but Ofsted didn't really know the answer. They class 24 Proxy as "overnight care" then a day service all combined. But he didn't answer for how long and social services is now closed so i will call tomorrow. :)
Thanks, Laura

JoeBloggs
01-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Well i can confirm 28 days is the upmost limit, can't say ive heard much about proxy guardians untill this post.

sue32
01-10-2008, 06:59 PM
You can do 28 days and then day 29 is with some one else and then day 30 is bach with you until another 28 days and then again 1 day with some one else. You are able to do this as many times people are willing to pay

lknight1976
01-10-2008, 08:06 PM
You can do 28 days and then day 29 is with some one else and then day 30 is bach with you until another 28 days and then again 1 day with some one else. You are able to do this as many times people are willing to pay

Hi!
Wow really?? I know i wouldn't need to do that , but cool info to know.
I have been asked about mostly full weekends. How much would be ok to charge without going too low nor too high? Suggestions anyone?! :)
Would be something like friday evening till sunday evenig....
Thanks, Laura

Pedagog
01-10-2008, 09:14 PM
I have to admit I am quite shocked that parents would want to leave their child with a childminder all weekend.

lknight1976
01-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi Newbie!
Well i have had many enquiries about this, as many couples now adays are only in their early 20's!!! They may want to go to Paris for the weekend, who knows! :) But I wouldn't mind leaving my son for a weekend away for the right price! :) Bliss Bliss!! So, just wondering how much to charge....any ideas? Thanks, Laura

Blaze
01-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Nothing to add re the original question..but wanted to say I was a teenage Mum & would never have dreamt of going away without my LO!

Pedagog
01-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Nothing to add re the original question..but wanted to say I was a teenage Mum & would never have dreamt of going away without my LO!

Same here, I once left my eldest son at my mums when he was about a year old, and it was awful.

SimplyLucy
02-10-2008, 06:10 AM
Hi!
Wow really?? I know i wouldn't need to do that , but cool info to know.
I have been asked about mostly full weekends. How much would be ok to charge without going too low nor too high? Suggestions anyone?! :)
Would be something like friday evening till sunday evenig....
Thanks, Laura

I think thats a wonderful service to offer.

All parents are different and have different circumstances. We have to remember that some people have no support from a network of family to enable them to take a little time out. I'm sure some of you hated leaving your child with a member of your family for a weekend, but the chances are with partners and family you might get the odd evening out. Some parents don't get the chance for an evening out let alone a weekend away.

As for what to charge well, £30 for each night cause thats your rate. Then just run the days on your hourly rate (might be higher because it's the weekend.) Then maybe round it down a little to make a weekend fee.

Personally with £30 being my over night rate a whole weekend at my setting would be. Just a rough working out as times might vary.

£30 + £84 + £30 + £84 = £228

I would therefore probably offer a whole weekend Friday evening though to Sunday evening for £200.

Blimey that sounds good, maybe I should register for overnights!

Pedagog
02-10-2008, 07:22 AM
£200 for the weekend sounds reasonable.

I can understand that some parents are happy to jet off with out the kids, and it is obviously far better than just leaving the kids at home while you go out to the pub or whatever.

Tatia
02-10-2008, 08:40 AM
My gawd, if I could find someone I trusted enough, I'd leave DD behind for a romantic week end alone with hubby with a big smile on my face and not an ounce of guilt in my heart!!:laughing:

And I agree that £200 sounds very reasonable.

lknight1976
02-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks Y'all for the info. I thought of doing this for the simple reason that I too have my family in The States and Argentina,so I have no one to take care of my son, so i just thought that this would be a good idea for those who are in the same boat as me! jijiji
I was roughly thinking the same, around £80 for 24hrs and £160 for the weekend. I don't want to charge too much. :)

Tatia
02-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Where are your family in The States, LKnight? Are you an American immigrant like me?:D

lknight1976
02-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Hi! I was born in Argentina and went to L.A, Ca. when i was 4. Then lived in Spain for awhile and THAT is where i met my ENGLISH husband!!! jijijijijiji But my family lives in Cali...:)

Hebs
12-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Some parents don't get the chance for an evening out let alone a weekend away.

I would therefore probably offer a whole weekend Friday evening though to Sunday evening for £200.

thats me, my family won't have my kids (thats why i'm wanting to be a childminder to be at home with my kids ) and i'd pay £200 for a weekend away from my kids for some me time :thumbsup:

infact this summer i actually paid £800 for my kids to go to summer camp so i caould have some me time, first time i'd ever spent a night away from my son who's 8!!!!!

oh ...... whats a night out??? lol:laughing: