PDA

View Full Version : Planning again... sorry!

button68
14-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Having spent this evening reading LOADS of threads on themes/topics/planning I have the general idea.

However,

1. Should I have more than 1 topic running at a time?
2. I'm unsure as to whether I should change the topics weekly or monthy.
3. Would a main monthly topic and smaller ones that change weekly work?

deeb66
14-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Hi Mandy

I have one main topic for the month but do incorporate a sub topic.

E.g. the main topic of Healthy Eating with sub topic of Winter.

Next months main topic will change but of course will still have sub topic of winter.

Obviously the next sub topic will be spring (change to spring in March).......I hope this makes sense!

button68
14-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Hi Mandy

I have one main topic for the month but do incorporate a sub topic.

E.g. the main topic of Healthy Eating with sub topic of Winter.

Next months main topic will change but of course will still have sub topic of winter.

Obviously the next sub topic will be spring (change to spring in March).......I hope this makes sense!

So your MAIN topic changes monthly but your SUB topic lasts more than a month? ... I'm confused :panic:

deeb66
14-01-2008, 10:29 PM
So your MAIN topic changes monthly but your SUB topic lasts more than a month? ... I'm confused :panic:

Yes mandy that is correct.

I run the seasons of the year throughout the year so we are currently in Winter and overall this topic will run for 3 months and change to spring in March....these are only sub topics and will only do little bits of pieces on them and generall talk about the weather and have to wrap up in cold weather. Go to local park and look at the trees, bushes, plants & flowers etc.

The main topic where i would put most of the focus changes each month.

So to give you an example this is how my topics have run:

October - Main topic Mini beast/bugs with sub topic of Autumn

November - main topic Healthy eating with sub topic of Autumn

December - main topic of Safety (road, stranger danger etc) with sub topic of Winter

January - main topic of Diversity/Disabilities sub topic of Winter

February - Under the sea with sub topic of Winter

March - ? (haven't set topic yet) with sub topic of Spring

Does this make it any clearer?

button68
14-01-2008, 10:46 PM
:blush: Ahhh! Penny drops!

I couldn't get my head around a sub topic lasting longer than a main one - but explained like that it is obvious :D

Thank for that :thumbsup: . I think I will do something similar so I only have two subjects running at a time.

sarah707
15-01-2008, 09:33 AM
I think I do it differently from Dee :laughing:

January, we are doing winter... that's the overarching theme... but

week 1 we looked at keeping warm in winter,

This week we are doing healthy eating in winter,

week 3, we will look at penguins and polar bears... etc

And I will slot in a few festivals and celebrations...

Planning really is whatever works for you though and I'm sure Dee will agree with me when I say I've gone through a lot of different combinations to find out what works for the children - and then I get a new batch of children and it all has to be changed :laughing:

I hope I've not confused! :panic:

carolinel
15-01-2008, 09:37 AM
I have one or sometimes 2 monthly themes - depends on what else is happening in the month. My theme this month is "weather" and "seasons" which will run into Feb, and festivals/events I am covering are World religion day, Australia Day and Burns night.

angeldelight
15-01-2008, 09:37 AM
I do the same as Dee I got the idea from our local school when I worked there

The seasons seem to last so long it made sense to do it that way - plus even in each season there are different changes

You do whatever suits you though

Some great activty ideas in the forum

Have fun I am sure you are going to be kept busy ha

Angel xx

deeb66
21-01-2008, 07:39 PM
I think I do it differently from Dee :laughing:

Planning really is whatever works for you though and I'm sure Dee will agree with me when I say I've gone through a lot of different combinations to find out what works for the children - and then I get a new batch of children and it all has to be changed :laughing:

I hope I've not confused! :panic:

That's exactly what i find Sarah.....just as I think i have got it right a child leaves and I have to put my thinking cap on again:rolleyes:

I do the same as Dee I got the idea from our local school when I worked there

The seasons seem to last so long it made sense to do it that way - plus even in each season there are different changes

Angel xx

I also got the idea from a school (I think it was Jack's Infant school but can't remember now) and I find it works really well with whatever age group I look after.

Over time I constantly change my mind and change the system but always find myself coming back to this way of doing it.

Tily Bud
21-01-2008, 08:35 PM
I have one theme per month - this month its transport, then i do a couple of celebrations also x

Rubybubbles
21-01-2008, 08:53 PM
I do one theme per month but do like the idea as a sub topic (esp Seasons as it is an on going thing:rolleyes: , so good idea:thumbsup: ) I also throw in fesivals thanks to sarah 007 resources:thumbsup: