PDA

View Full Version : holidays

johnnydepp1
22-09-2008, 12:56 PM
i was wondering if i could celebrate other holidays not just from this country, for example we celebrate halloween, easter, christmas, ect but what about other holidays like thanksgiving, the 4th july, do you think ofsted will like that i am celebrating holidays from differint culture or not, does anyone else do it

:laughing:

Bushpig
22-09-2008, 01:07 PM
I think it's a lovely idea (eg: 4th July and Thanksgiving)... I link it to the fact I have family who live in America/are American... and one of my mindees was born there too... so it makes it more personable to them. Learning about other cultures and countries is fabulous for the kids and opens the world up to them.

My one little 3 year old has already asked if he can come with my DH and I in January when we go to Africa for a few weeks - I tell them loads about Africa, the wildlife there, the people etc., being African myself :)

It's also nice to tell them how other countries celebrate Christmas etc.... for eg: some countries have their summer at Christmas time, not their winter. Explain different Christmas traditions to the kids too. Different names for Santa Claus/Father Christmas etc. in different countries.

johnnydepp1
22-09-2008, 09:32 PM
thanks

I am really thinking about doing it, but I havent got any children yet to mind, but if there not american I still want to do it, but ofsted might think its weird that I am celebrating american holidays and not having any american kids

Its not just american holidays either, I also want to celebrate chinese new year, st patricks day ect

:clapping:

Chatterbox Childcare
22-09-2008, 09:34 PM
I am covering countries this month and the good old USA was this weeks topic.

Today we cut out pictures of Disney and stuck them on a postcard and tomorrow we are sending them to the parents.

Hot dogs were on the menu and the kids loved all the activities.

miffy
25-09-2008, 08:36 PM
i was wondering if i could celebrate other holidays not just from this country, for example we celebrate halloween, easter, christmas, ect but what about other holidays like thanksgiving, the 4th july, do you think ofsted will like that i am celebrating holidays from differint culture or not, does anyone else do it

:laughing:

Ofsted will be all for it!!!!

Chinese New Year and Divali are nice festivals to celebrate. Have a look around the forum for some ideas

Miffy xx

manjay
25-09-2008, 09:25 PM
The children love it too especially tasting food from other countries. Mine came out of school yesterday asking if we were having Chinese food or Mexican for snack:laughing: Me thinks I should have stuck with toast!