PDA

View Full Version : Should I charge mum if she takes day off?

MrsT333
21-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Morning all!

My mindee took friday off from me as her mum had a day off work. The mum gave me a few days notice, but should I still charge her the full amount?

Or should I let her take it as days holiday and just charge her half the fee?

For mindees holiday I only charge half the fee, but thats always for a week off not aday.

Iv only being doind this for a year so still get stuck sometimes...your advice will be great!!

Thank You

:)

Hannahlg
21-09-2008, 10:29 AM
we still charge full fee's for occsiacaly days off

think about like this, you where still aviable to look after the child, and you wouldnt of been able to fill the place would you

Lou
21-09-2008, 10:29 AM
I would still charge full fee as the place was there, she didnt use it.

Thats the way i work things though, i charge full fee when they are on holiday but nothing if i am off.

MrsT333
21-09-2008, 10:31 AM
:)

Thank You I will charge her full fee.

Julie

devoncm
21-09-2008, 12:12 PM
I cahrge full fee if they have time off but nothing if i am off, i look at it as i am available to work and should still be paid-nurseries would expect it why not us

mum22
21-09-2008, 01:03 PM
I allow 2 weeks of contracted days per year at 1/2 fee so if they come for 2 days per week then they get 4 days off per year at 1/2 fee and any more:thumbsup: is full fee, so if they have been away and used holiday entitlement then yes charge, you were there available to work.....

angeldelight
21-09-2008, 03:39 PM
I would most def charge her the full fee

Its not your problem that she had a day off and you were still available to work

Good luck

Angel xx

Ripeberry
21-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Slightly different reason, but when my youngest went to the childminder last year she was sent back to me as she was developing conjunctivitus and even then i had to pay the full day's fee and she was only there for 1 hour.
So i think you should still charge the mum, because it's still a holiday even if it's one day :)

jellytot
21-09-2008, 04:58 PM
yes i would still charge full fees

Bushpig
21-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Yes I would still charge full fee.

Chatterbox Childcare
21-09-2008, 09:01 PM
What does your contract state?

HFC
22-09-2008, 09:15 AM
My contract states that I need 2 weeks notice of any holidays otherwise I charge full pay for days off. Doesn't work though as one of my wee boys didn't turn up most of last week and his mum pays the money directly into my bank account - guess what?? Half pay!! Not happy but what can I do? She knows what the contract says but she has me over a barrell. Its not worth losing him and going through the small claims so I have to swallow it.

buildingblocks
24-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Morning all!My mindee took friday off from me as her mum had a day off work. The mum gave me a few days notice, but should I still charge her the full amount?Or should I let her take it as days holiday and just charge her half the fee?For mindees holiday I only charge half the fee, but thats always for a week off not aday.Iv only being doind this for a year so still get stuck sometimes...your advice will be great!!Thank You:)

how long is a piece of string as we all work differently but this is one of hte reasons that I changed how I charge to full fee if I am available to work and no fee if I am unavailable to work makes life so much easier. I find it hasn't put people off (although some still moan) as I am getting two siblings of one of my mindees even though it is oging to cost her £100 more than the other minder (not pinching work from others honest)

I used to charge half fee for four weeks holiday (or the equivalent depending on how many days in a week they were here) and they had to give me 48 hours notice for days off to count but it all depends on how you feel about working when paretns are at home as I find they send them as they are having to pay for hte place which doesn't bother me.

It all depends how you put days like this into your contracts

buildingblocks
24-09-2008, 09:54 AM
My contract states that I need 2 weeks notice of any holidays otherwise I charge full pay for days off. Doesn't work though as one of my wee boys didn't turn up most of last week and his mum pays the money directly into my bank account - guess what?? Half pay!! Not happy but what can I do? She knows what the contract says but she has me over a barrell. Its not worth losing him and going through the small claims so I have to swallow it.

If she didn't give you the right amount of notice and she should have paid you make sure you get it. It is not up to her to decide what she pays you. Make sure you invoice her for the amount she didn't pay you and if you have late fees charge those - if you don't have late fees give parent notice that form whatever date notice you have to give them for contract changes you will be charging them.

I used ot have a paretn who was dreadful for paying me i always knew she would pay me but she was just so forgetful. I brought in the late fee charge and she always paid on time after that

cloud9
25-09-2008, 11:18 AM
My contract states that I need 2 weeks notice of any holidays otherwise I charge full pay for days off.

I Think you have answered this yourself there dont bend the rules for the parents or they will inevitably take the mick!

Doesn't work though as one of my wee boys didn't turn up most of last week and his mum pays the money directly into my bank account - guess what?? Half pay!! Not happy but what can I do? She knows what the contract says but she has me over a barrell. Its not worth losing him and going through the small claims so I have to swallow it.

I would immediately invoice her the difference and write a polite note on it stating the 2 weeks notice policy. I would also ask her to not amend any payments unless you have told her otherwise.
She only has you over a barrel if you allow her to. i would say yes it is worth losing him is she takes the mick like this.

Chatterbox Childcare
25-09-2008, 01:47 PM
I would call a meeting with the parent and go through the contract again so she understand what she signed up for.

If you go at her with another invoice, late fees etc she may well go somewhere else.

it may just be a misunderstanding

Communicate what you want first and then if she doesn't pay invoice her

tomthumb
25-09-2008, 02:10 PM
I will definitively charge full rate and sit down with mum to go over contract again and make it really clear when/what she has to pay. This is how I got into trouble with one parent (although, I think she might have been a bit mad as well:laughing: )
Good luck

Elodie X